Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlight problem - new bulbs?

Hi all

Recently i discovered that my left hand side headlight will randomly turn off after a few minutes of it turning on however I can turn them back on by switching off and on again.. 

Had a look outside and can see the bulbs are emitting two different tones of light. Not sure whether the owner replaced one with a different brand or just replaced one and left the other in..but it seems like the left one is dying?

Anyway - I've never had a car with HID lights before. So basically what kind of bulbs can I get for the car? Do they have to be OEM? Are the lights on the IS250 easy to replace? Looks a bit fiddly to me. Can anyone link any good bulbs they've found and use? Or should I stick to Lexus ones and get them from a dealer?

Thanks

4300k are oe equitment i run 5000k.  6000k are blueish and then the higher the number the darker the lights. I think after 5000k they look rubbish 

and i want the road to be lit up. Only my opinion mind its whatever you think.

Kris - this is common fault on the GS450H and swapping the bulb often solves the problem - apprently due to the heat emitted it cuases wear on the connectors and this causes he malfunction - it might be wirth a try

On mine lights are rubbish not bright enough if I change to 5000k bulbs would that make any difference @ what best 5000k to use. Its 2009 model. madasahatter which one u used can u send link thanks. my is220d had xenons were really good and bright 

1 hour ago, madasahatter said:

4300k are oe equitment i run 5000k.  6000k are blueish and then the higher the number the darker the lights. I think after 5000k they look rubbish 

and i want the road to be lit up. Only my opinion mind its whatever you think.

Can you link the 5000K bulbs you have?

3 hours ago, kris250 said:

Do I need those ones? Can I not go brighter?

Don't forget that when you go brighter .. you start blinding other drivers. But K (kelvin) rating doesn't make your lights brighter ( doesn't improve visibility), K rating means colour - from warm 1000K to very cold (blue) 10000k+. Generally, light with rating between 3000k and ~5000k are considered neutral or white - which is equally considered best quality. Blue lights for me is not a way to go - just looks fake. For me yellow = vintage, white = quality and blue = fake.

I guess the fashion for blue lights started with LEDs, because early LEDs were poor quality (blue) and at some point when they started appearing on expensive cars ~2006 (maybe earlier), people with older cars tried pretending their cars are more modern by putting very cold 8300-15000k xenons, which does nothing else but blinds other drivers. Later when LEDs improved they became white as they should be and "blue lights" became not only "fake", but as well outdated "poor fashion". 

4 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Don't forget that when you go brighter .. you start blinding other drivers. But K (kelvin) rating doesn't make your lights brighter ( doesn't improve visibility), K rating means colour - from warm 1000K to very cold (blue) 10000k+. Generally, light with rating between 3000k and ~5000k are considered neutral or white - which is equally considered best quality. Blue lights for me is not a way to go - just looks fake. For me yellow = vintage, white = quality and blue = fake.

I guess the fashion for blue lights started with LEDs, because early LEDs were poor quality (blue) and at some point when they started appearing on expensive cars ~2006 (maybe earlier), people with older cars tried pretending their cars are more modern by putting very cold 8300-15000k xenons, which does nothing else but blinds other drivers. Later when LEDs improved they became white as they should be and "blue lights" became not only "fake", but as well outdated "poor fashion". 

Definitely not going for the blue look. I've seen many cars with them and just looks completely ridiculous for me. Also a lot of chavs seems to have them on their crappy cars. The Lexus deserves better :D

I had the exact same symptoms as you. I went for the Osram Xenarc Cool Blue. Ignore the name, they are not blue, but so much better (brighter) than the Philips OEM bulbs. I'm very happy with them and advise that you replace both bulbs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OGS4K30/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1OD8NTYX4YCOE&coliid=I3HS0Y1UH93ZU&psc=1

• Like 1

Yeah think I'll go for those ones..  Why are Xenons so much more expensive though? I mean I was paying like £10 for new bulbs on my old car with halogens. I get that its white, but is that the only reason? Are there any other advantages? Does it last longer?

1 hour ago, kris250 said:

Yeah think I'll go for those ones..  Why are Xenons so much more expensive though? I mean I was paying like £10 for new bulbs on my old car with halogens. I get that its white, but is that the only reason? Are there any other advantages? Does it last longer?

I know its eBay, but, I've had 2 sets of bulbs (for 2 cars) and have been running them since 2014 and have had no problems with them at all and so far show no sign of any failures.

3 hours ago, kris250 said:

They are more expensive because they are very different to a Halogen bulb. They are also vastly superior to halogen bulbs.These are often referred to as HID bulbs - High-Intensity Discharge.

Your old halogens that you are familiar will look something like this

HB4 Standard Replacement 12V 51W 9006 Halogen Bulb

Whereas the HID bulb will look something like this

D2C___D2R___D2S_Hid_Bulb.jpg

Quote from Wiki "High-intensity discharge lamps (HID lamps) are a type of electrical gas-discharge lamp which produces light by means of an electric arc between tungsten electrodes housed inside a translucent or transparent fused quartz or fused alumina arc tube. This tube is filled with both gas and metal salts. The gas facilitates the arc's initial strike. Once the arc is started, it heats and evaporates the metal salts forming plasma, which greatly increases the intensity of light produced by the arc and reduces its power consumption. High-intensity discharge lamps are a type of arc lamp.

Brand new high-intensity discharge lamps make more visible light per unit of electric power consumed than fluorescent and incandescent lamps since a greater proportion of their radiation is visible light in contrast to infrared. However, the lumen output of HID lighting can deteriorate by up to 70% over 10,000 burning hours."

That last sentence is worth noting in the sense that they do deteriorate.

That amazon price is pretty darned good. You will often see them at £120 a pair.

If you can change a Halogen bulb then you can change a HID bulb. You just need to take more precautions and care eg DISCONNECT the Battery. That's why there is a warning "Risk of electric shock" on the bulb cover plate. You can get it done at a garage by all means ...I've heard of one neighbour's friend paying £300 for 1 bulb to be changed!!!! The offside is easy, so do that first. The nearside is a little more tricky due to restricted space. There is a guide I put up for Halogen bulbs which will give you some clues for the nearside bulb and bits you need to move aside.

There are plenty of useful videos on Youtube...even some dedicated to the Lexus IS250. Just remember to disconnect the Battery and follow the advices given. Watch a few, they give useful insights and tips. You will also learn how to remove/replace the air filter. 

Remember, when you reconnect your Battery you will need to resync/initialize your window controllers. Take a read here :-

In fact this "How to" section is a very useful resource to make use of. Noobie has done some sterling work on brakes.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, normski2 said:

Here are a couple of videos that will offer some enlightenment

The second one shows you how to get at the offside bulb right at the end of the video.

Cheers mate.

Ordered the bulbs from amazon. When I disconnect the Battery, Can I disconnect one lead? Or do I need to remove both leads?

45 minutes ago, kris250 said:

Cheers mate.

Ordered the bulbs from Amazon. When I disconnect the battery, Can I disconnect one lead? Or do I need to remove both leads?

Personally ... I always take both leads off.There are no codes to be concerned about regarding the radio.

I'd wear gloves too ... the throw away stretchy vinyl type are ideal. You don't want to impart any oils from your skin onto the bulbs ... same as you should do when handling Halogens.

Remember you'll need to resync your electric window controllers after you reconnect the Battery

Maybe I'm over cautious. I just want to know that HID is dead. 

I would not want a jolt from one of them that's for sure. That capacitor holds a hefty charge.

If you opt not to disconnect the Battery it would be wise to only go in there after a day or overnight without use of the lights.

It is easier to change a HID bulb than the Halogen type on the IS220/250. That's been my experience anyway.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links