Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Glasscoat and Smart insurance

When I bought my IS I opted to have the paint work glasscoated and took out the smart insurance.

Recently I was unlucky enough to get a scratch on the drivers door from some careless motorist who parked next to me. After I had washed and polished it the door looked like this.

ImageUploadedByLexus OC1478541771.187690.jpg

So I made a claim on the smart insurance. They came out to fix it today and I am happy to say the mark has completely gone.

ImageUploadedByLexus OC1478541906.145978.jpg

It only took him a few minutes and the paintwork is back to its best and it only cost me £10 excess. He said because I had the glasscoat it had saved him from having to apply any paint.

Well worth the cost of the glasscoat and smart insurance if you ask me.

• Like 4

How could they repair it without using any paint? 

I had Smart insurance and also had a repair which was perfect. I doubt glasscoat would have made any difference.

On my next car I declined the extras they try their hardest to sell you. 

It would take 3 claims to make the insurance worth the extra cost.  Good for peace of mind I suppose.

Ed:whistling:

He said that the glasscoat had protected the paint so he just needed to rework the paint to get it to blend in to fill the gaps without adding any new paint. I think they soften the paint up a bit then move the paint molecules about a bit to fill the bare patch.

I am a bit confused. I thought that, with the glasscoat, you are not supposed to polish.

Also, I thought that you could not re-apply glasscoat to a small area, and that you have to first remove it from - let's say - the whole door, and then apply it again. This is to allow blending in and to avoid smears.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links