Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gravitational Sensor

In a brochure promoting the RC - a pre-launch one from 2015 - I came across a mention of something called a Gravitational Sensor G among

the features exclusive to the F-Sport model.   Does anybody know what this is, and if it is indeed present, what purpose does it serve?

I have found no visible trace of it in the instrumentation, which could mean that it may be lurking somewhere deep in the car's electronics.  Or

maybe its mention in the brochure was a mistake insofar as it never made it into the car's final specifications.   While acknowledging that the

measurement of g-forces is of interest to fighter pilots, Formula 1 drivers, passengers on lifts in Dubai high-rises etc., I frankly don't see the

purpose in a passenger car, and if the RC is capable of defying gravity, I probably don't want to know about it.

Could it be this?

" Sport S mode includes a new G-sensor AI-shift control, which uses information from the vehicle’s G-sensors to select the best gear ratio for high-performance sports driving. The transmission will automatically downshift during hard braking for a corner, hold a lower gear through the corner for greater control, and then select a suitable low gear on corner exit to give the driver greater throttle response. "

http://blog.lexus.co.uk/lexus-rc-f-engineered-for-maximum-reward/

Peter, Rayaan, thank you for your replies.   I once again confirm that the G-Sensor is not visible anywhere in the instrumentation,

and nor have I found any mention of it in the owner's manual.   So, as evidenced in Rayaan's illustration, its presence would indeed

appear to be limited to the 200t (and, I would surmise, also the RC-F).

Not, I must confess, that I am greatly bothered by its absence.  In fact, I wouldn't be able to comprehend the graphics, let alone 

the technology behind them, this being, like much else in the car's electronic devilry, way beyond my feeble scientific grasp.  Still,

it would have been nice to impress passengers with macho phrases about "pullin' lotsa Gs" etc.

Incidentally, some early reviews of the new-gen RC mentioned that it was going to get a wireless smartphone charger that would

have freed up one of the USB ports, but this also appears not to have materialized. 

It was on a 200t that I had as a loaner. IMO completely pointless and the money spent on developing it could have been directed somewhere else more useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I imagine there is little in the way of extra expense put into the display of the data from a sensor that is pretty much standard in any car with some form of stability control.

An amusing gimmick possibly only of interest to someone who uses the car on track. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links