Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys,

I'm about to sell my accord next week, so I have to decide between another Accord CU2 (AT 2.4 petrol) vs. BMW 325i/330i AT vs. Lexus IS250 2009 AT (the bad thing is that my budget is around 8500£)

Now, I'm more into Lexus so can you please tell me:

- how reliable is this model?

- how's the navi system? updates from time to time? Is it touchscreen (as I couldn't see any buttons dedicated for navi), it can be replaced if you want?

- how's the sound system? Does it have build in subwoofer?

- technically speaking, what kind of issues does this model have in particular?

- any issues during time? If it's old, let's say about 100.000 miles, what should I expect in terms of problems?

- how about some tuning? I saw that it can be added a K&N CAI, which is good, but how about catback, manifold, etc?

I was thinking about this model: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611220001656?make=LEXUS&year-from=2009&postcode=b187ja&transmission=Automatic&sort=price-asc&onesearchad=New&model=IS 250&maximum-mileage=90000&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&page=2 or http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611229983896?year-from=2009&maximum-mileage=90000&transmission=Automatic&make=LEXUS&onesearchad=New&model=IS 250&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=price-asc&radius=1500&postcode=b187ja&page=1

Thanks in advance

A quick check against the car reg number shows the tax was up in August this year - MOT is up to March 2017. The MOT history of the car is good as it has passed all tests required, no advisories or failures.

60k miles will see a requirement for a £600 cost for the spark plug replacement if done through a dealer.

Look through the following post as it will give you an idea of what to look for when viewing - there shouldn't be that much of a difference between the mechanics of the car between 2007 and 2010 but the spec will be different. Look for the pinned post below at the top of the IS forum page

What to look out for - Lexus IS250 (2007 model year)

The add doesn't give you a lot of information or pictures and viewing is by appointment only - not sure what that means (a private dealer?)

You can add the K&N filters etc but the car cannot be chipped or ECU modded / remapped

Now, I'm more into Lexus so can you please tell me:

- how reliable is this model? - the most reliable. Considering you coming from Accord at very least same reliability, but much more comfortable.

- how's the navi system? updates from time to time? Is it touchscreen (as I couldn't see any buttons dedicated for navi), it can be replaced if you want? - Navi system is total junk, not worth having.

- how's the sound system? Does it have build in subwoofer? - the standard system is best in class 13 speakers, if you want extra clarity get Mark Levinson system  which has 14 speakers, literally no BMW, MB, Accord comes close to standard sound system in Lexus, let alone ML. 

- technically speaking, what kind of issues does this model have in particular? - No big issues (like IS220d), brakes are rather weak - especially front calipers, rotors anything worth mentioning is here: 

- any issues during time? If it's old, let's say about 100.000 miles, what should I expect in terms of problems? - no problems, 200k - no problems, 300k - no problems. otherwise standard stuff - waterpump 80k-120k, sparkplugs - 100k, chain - lifetime, ~8 years exhaust starts to rust depending of how the car was kept. One funny thing - rotors (especially front) are disposable, replace them almost at the same time as pads.. some guys replaced rotors after 30-40k. Early one had rubbish wheel pain, but if was refurbished no problem, in you price range 2009+ should have no problems either.

- how about some tuning? I saw that it can be added a K&N CAI, which is good, but how about catback, manifold, etc? - not that kind of car, nothing is available, at least nothing which adds value, you can add CAI for 1% of performance. Few of reasonable upgrades  - front brakes upgrades from IS350/GS350, F-Sport anti-roll bars (unless you get F-Sport).. except of that nothing worth upgrading it is limousine, not tuner.

What's your opinion between Lexus IS250 vs H Accord 2.4 vs BMW 330i/325i ?  - for the same equipment level BMW will be double the price, half of reliability. Cannot comment on Accord much, but Lexus is different class all together, much more refined and luxurious. Yet rare for its class - reliable and rather cheap to up-keep. That is my opinion after owning IS250 2012 F-sport, MB 350-4matic 2010 Elegance, IS250 2010 AWD, VW Passat CC 2.0T R-line 2012, BMW328xi 2010... and current IS250 SEL 2008.

• Like 2

wow, thanks a lot mate! really helpful! To be honest I was thinking quite the same, but I was curious from a Lexus owner. Accord and Lexus is250 are quite similar, so it would be nice to swap a bit from H to L :). Why navi is junk? Isn't updated and useful? Or what do you mean? If it's crap, it can be changed? I'm using my Accord navi a lot, even if it's not so powerful like Lexus or other brands.

How much is the upgrade to Mark Levinson Audio With 14 Speakers ?

Can the green lights (attached picture) be changed? I hate that colour :)

Does it have ACC (adaptive cruise control)?

lumini.jpg

Junk is perhaps a tad strong.

The Sat Nav isn't the best, but it is useable.  The touchscreen is fine, but the interface itself looks a bit dated.  I have used it for some different types of journey, and as long as you aren't trying to navigate London streets, it does ok.

If you get a DVD based system, then a newer disc can be bought to update it.  I updated mine from 2008 to 2015 for about £75.

You get the ML audio with the nav.  Also, lets not forget that you also get Bluetooth hand free phone calls as well.

Unfortunately, the colour of the buttons cannot be changed.  At least, not without considerable effort.

• Like 1

totally agree. I was interested more in how reliable is the nav overall (for ex in UK if you search an address for postcode only, how is it? with my Accord it's pretty good, I haven't used my phone navi for a while (at least 1 year) and I drove across Europe with build in navi from Honda without problems - of course, there might be closed roads, but that's about updates only).

The postcode search isn't brilliant as it only allows you to use the first digit of the second half - for example: L12 1 which isn't great for narrowing things down.  That said, I use mine all the time and have found it to be pretty good as long as you adjust where it's sending you by having google maps open on your phone at the same time to fine tune.  It's vastly preferable to having something stuck on your windscreen though.

I second what everyone else has said about reliability etc., it's a cut above most of the German alternatives in my opinion - especially modern Mercedes.

• Like 2

thanks a lot mate, your opinion matters a lot for me. I've decided to go with this one:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611179857599?year-from=2008&transmission=Automatic&make=LEXUS&postcode=b187ja&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&model=IS 250&sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&page=3

I love te colour even if it has 81.000 miles, and it's with ML (I saw that not all with navi comes with ML as well) which is a big improvement.

For Navi, how about the flyaudio swap?

And does anybody know exactly which lights are for central console in order to change them? I hate the green colour, it reminds me about old Dacia :).

You won't be disappointed with an is250 trust me. I've only had mine a week and it's by far the best car I've ever owned. I love everything about it. it's soooo comfortable to drive.

I actually think the in built sat nav is excellent . I've used it every day on different journeys and it works a treat. I love that posh ladies voice too lol.

people say it's underpowered and it probably is for a 2.5 litre v6 engine. but it's far from a slow car. Don't believe the 8.4 seconds to hit 60. It's more like 7.4 seconds.

I love my 250 se-I and so proud to own it. If I won the lottery I wouldn't swap my baby lexus.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2016 at 2:04 AM, ady_uaic said:

Why navi is junk? Isn't updated and useful? Or what do you mean? If it's crap, it can be changed? I'm using my Accord navi a lot, even if it's not so powerful like Lexus or other brands.

How much is the upgrade to Mark Levinson Audio With 14 Speakers ?

Can the green lights (attached picture) be changed? I hate that colour :)

Does it have ACC (adaptive cruise control)

What I mean.. probably in comparison in the class or simple mobile phone app e.g. Navigation in BMW is miles ahead... now is that problem for me? No not really - because any £40 sat-nav will be miles ahead in accuracy than both Lexus and BMW.. and even smartphone app would be miles ahead, not even to mention real time traffic alerts (which is kind of only reason for me to use sat-nav). Again DVD based systems are all slow and in my opinion "junk" no matter the make, especially when update DVD costs £60-75 (Lexus price is £250-300) and you can get far superior navigation from cheap £40 sat-nav. It important to note, that if you want BT or USB-in you will need to get sat-nav, because these were not stand-alone options - that is maybe the only reason to have it, however BT and USB were only available from 2009+ e.g. in IS250 SE-i, SE-L or SE/Advance + navigation package.

In term of ML vs. Standard sound system there are many discussions on this forum. I have owned cars with both and honestly I fee no difference. It really depends what kind of music you are listening and what source you are using. When it comes to Mk2 (2005-2013) I would say there is no difference.. or as much difference as 13 speakers vs. 14 speakers. ML definitely not worth 3k when new , nor now when it is old - good part of it is that you might be able to find cars with and without it for the same price (kind of proves the point that it is little difference). However for Mk3 (2013+) ML is MUST... because standard comes with 6 speakers, while ML is 15.. - I guess Lexus realised that nobody will spend 3k for ML if standard system going to be as good.

As mentioned above.. there are no settings to change the colour of buttons , but I actually like it (not sure if that is good argument).

Lexus IS had ACC as an option, however I have never seen IS250 fitted with one... quite a few IS-F's has it maybe few late IS-250C's. The way to know... Lexus badge must be on black glass (radar sits behind it).. similar to the fake one below:

294624d1376763694-lexus-black-pearl-embl

• Like 1

cheers mate, thanks a lot. very useful info.

In terms of lights, I was that there are few guys who did the swap (I'll see in the future about this, it's not a must but top priorities).

Even if this is a Lexus forum, and since in my country you can't see too many Jaguars, can someone tell me how reliable are those cars? I'm thinking about this model:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611270136008?sort=price-asc&fuel-type=Petrol&price-to=9000&maximum-badge-engine-size=3.0&zero-to-60=TO_8&postcode=b187ja&advertising-location=at_cars&make=JAGUAR&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&transmission=Automatic&radius=1500&year-from=2008&page=2

I am not sure what you mean by "lights" - if you referring to adjustment for EU vs UK side.. this is not necessary as Lexus IS HID has flat pattern (as most if not all of Lexus'es with HIDs), which means identical lights are fitted to all Lexus IS250 in all markets, be that Japan, US, UK and EU. Hence when I go to EU I don't need any adjustment or stickers.

Jaguars since 2008-2009 are ok, I heard that older models had some small problems which were fixed after early-facelift.. can not remember what specifically so do your own research on Jaguar XF related issues. The problem for me is that for this price range you probably will find only diesels (except of the one you found). I cannot stand diesel, nor it would be beneficial to use it for me considering my normal commute. Diesels are literally only for those doing only motorway miles and at least 30k + per year. Now obviously when you see one odd petrol like you posted you will have very limited choice and will end up paying premium for the car closer to what you actually want. 

Totally agreed with you Linas.P, and about lights I mean those tiny green ones from the main console. I hate that colour! :D

I can't wait to take a seat in the IS250, I think I'm gonna love this car so much! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ady_uaic said:

Totally agreed with you Linas.P, and about lights I mean those tiny green ones from the main console. I hate that colour! :D

I can't wait to take a seat in the IS250, I think I'm gonna love this car so much! :)

You might drop lucky with the colour of the lights - mines a 2007 and they are white not green.

• Like 1

that would be nice! Btw, which models are exactly and what's the difference between them? I saw that there is SE-i, SE-L, etc. There is also a code like GSE20. Can someone explain me a bit the difference? Or to give me a link would be better.

I have this document which explains the range from when it was launched:

1399374194IS2ndgenerationlaunchpresspack.doc

Although the range changed a bit when the facelift cars came.  They added trim options like SE-I and Advanced.  Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think that Advanced is a basic spec, and SE-I is a kind of hybrid SE/SE-L.

thanks a lot mate. that's for 2009 version, right ? I mean not for new models. I see that in the doc it states "

·         Independent double wishbone front and multi-link rear suspension deliver excellent driving dynamics with legendary Lexus ride comfort

" which is surprising for me.

Yep, 2005 - 2009 models.  I find the easiest ways to tell the difference between pre and post facelift cars are the rear lights and centre console buttons.

Lexus don't seem to skimp on suspension for their cars :smile:  Looking at the cars, I would have expected a standard McPherson strut, so was pleasantly surprised. 

oh, I see your point and the differences. Thanks a lot mate! I can't wait to be part of this community properly (with the car as well :D ).

Which other differences are between pre & post facelift?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links