Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220 Smoke

CardiffLexus

Hi all

I am new to this so forgive if I have posted this in the wrong section. Also the subject I'm writing about has probably been raised so many times before a lot if you will find it boring but I really do need some advice on it. I have a is220d on a 57 plate around 111k mileage. I have only owned it 4 months and it has recently started smoking. It only starts when I get to between quarter and half temperature, it pumps it out for a while and then stops and only smokes a little every now and then when I accelerate hard.

It has been into Lexus who found no fault codes, all they have suggested is a DPF, EGR and 5th injector clean but I'm not paying what was quoted! I have had the EGR removed and cleaned and tried swapping it for a second hand one which was idling all over the place and sluggish so swapped back to the original. This weekend I also had a full carbon clean done by a professional company, it's now a lot more responsive and idles better however still the smoke. I have even tried expensive diesel and tank treatment and blasting it down the motorway.

I really am stuck on where to turn next, has anyway got any ideas or do they know anyone around Cardiff area who can remove the manifold and carry out the proper clean for a reasonable cost?

appreciated any ideas as I can't keep driving it like this it's embarrassing :(

p.s it's a white smoke I am getting.

Gareth

Thanks. I have seen a number of posts about the smoke now I purchased it, just wish I'd known before buying the car! All oil and coolant levels are fine and Lexus had the car for a day and a half, no errors codes on diagnostics. Would they have not been able to tell if it was head gasket?

It is of course possible that it's not the head gasket, it's just the first thing that came to mind when you mentioned white smoke.  See what responses you get later from other IS owners, there's been much discussion on the subject with lots of good info.  Because Lexus are so aware of the issue I'm surprised they didn't mention it as a possibility, unless they did check it of course.

Welcome.

If it was the head gasket, it would smoke all the time.

The colour can be a bit misleading sometimes.  If the EGR and DPF have been sorted, then like you mentioned the 5th injector is your best bet.

Did the dealer have a look at it?  Two things they can check; apparently, it can be reprogrammed to stop the smoke, and it might need a forced regen of the DPF, which the Techstream software the dealer uses can do for you.

I would ask them for more information.

Thanks for the response. They took the car for a couple of drives, run it through the diagnostics (which showed no errors) and did visual inspections, the conclusion just being it needs those parts all taking off and cleaning. I don't think they were 100% sure if I'm honest. If was the actual mechanic who came to speak to me. If I drive it slow it doesn't smoke at all but can't drive like that and assume it will eventually block DPF.

I have contacted a couple of local garages to see if they can do a forced regen and also a full clean as suggested.

lexus wanted over £600 to do it, they recon about 5 hours worth of work.

They definetly done something as the smoke is thinner and also they have rest things like the speedometer now lights orange when I hit 80 which it never did before.

A leak in an engine can get worse when the temperature rises and the metal expands.  Keep a close watch on the coolant and oil levels, also the temperature gauge, see if it rises a little higher than usual, I think you have to rule out the head gasket before replacing other parts.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I had exactly the same issue with my previous is220d and as you say it's embarrassing driving along with plumes of smoke chuffing out the exhaust. 

I booked mine into lexus bristol who confirmed the 5th injector was at fault. Not sure exactly what they did but they said they had reprogrammed the ecu.

Took them just under an hour and charged me £175. I was happy enough as it did indeed solve the problem. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links