Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Headlight Adaptive High Beam System

I have been using the AHB fitted to my 2016 car. The automatic dip works reasonably well as do the other adaptive features but I have found one issue that may make me stop using the system.

I live in a rural area with many unlit roads. If you are travelling down a main road with the lights automatically dipped (due to other traffic) and you turn off into an unlit side road the lights stay on dip as you turn. You cannot see where you are going as the dip beam cut-off is so sharp. This is because main beam is only restored at over about 40mph which you may not reach on a narrow lane. As you are using the automatic system, you cannot quickly hit the stalk to get main beam as it is already in this position.

I find this a bit dangerous and I think the designers must all live in towns. I don't think this behaviour can be changed as I have looked through all the setup options to no avail.

I don't use the automatic headlight function on my 22 year old LS400 as the last thing I need is to be on a multi lane road enter a tunnel and then have my headlights come on automatically. The driver in lane one then assumes I have flashed him out and pulls out in front of me.

Lets be honest it takes no effort to pull and push the stalk manually thereby maintaining full and safe control of your vehicle rather than rely on what are basically gimmicks.

You may like to know that on the 2016 models, you cannot actually turn the car lights off. You always have the DRLs on when driving. The "off" position on the stalk has been replaced with the "automatic" function which, as you say, puts the headlights on at some inappropriate times. The only way I can see to stop this is to manually switch to the sidelights position.

I have a 2014 model with DRL and adaptive front lamps but think this feature on mine is more the lamps turning with the steering wheel. One thing I don't like is the LED full beam.  While the dips are better than my older HID Xenons, the full beam isn't.  It's pretty ineffective by comparison and I much preferred the power of the HIDs.  The issue raised in the OP seems to be pretty common across most car makers who use that system though as I've read similar stories from owners of other marques.

12 hours ago, malcolmw said:

I have been using the AHB fitted to my 2016 car. The automatic dip works reasonably well as do the other adaptive features but I have found one issue that may make me stop using the system.

I live in a rural area with many unlit roads. If you are travelling down a main road with the lights automatically dipped (due to other traffic) and you turn off into an unlit side road the lights stay on dip as you turn. You cannot see where you are going as the dip beam cut-off is so sharp. This is because main beam is only restored at over about 40mph which you may not reach on a narrow lane. As you are using the automatic system, you cannot quickly hit the stalk to get main beam as it is already in this position.

I find this a bit dangerous and I think the designers must all live in towns. I don't think this behaviour can be changed as I have looked through all the setup options to no avail.

I turned the AHB on my car for exactly the same reason you have described. As some other person has commented it's no big deal pulling the stalk by onself as the driving  conditions dictates. 

8 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

I have a 2014 model with DRL and adaptive front lamps but think this feature on mine is more the lamps turning with the steering wheel. One thing I don't like is the LED full beam.  While the dips are better than my older HID Xenons, the full beam isn't.  It's pretty ineffective by comparison and I much preferred the power of the HIDs.  The issue raised in the OP seems to be pretty common across most car makers who use that system though as I've read similar stories from owners of other marques.

The full beam on the 3RX is halogen I believe. Both LED lamps on each headlight are dipped beam and you can just see the halogen high beams medial to them.

Ive found that reducing the sensitivity of the headlights to the lowest setting is best as it seems to on only when its somewhat dark rather than at random times.

How do you adjust the sensitivity Rayaans...didn't know that was possible?

Well the dipped beams are very good indeed, so I take back what I said.  If they're LED, they're better than the HID ones I had on the GS.

2 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

How do you adjust the sensitivity Rayaans...didn't know that was possible?

Well the dipped beams are very good indeed, so I take back what I said.  If they're LED, they're better than the HID ones I had on the GS.

Yes dipped beams are LED's whereas the high beams are halogen

Go on Menu > setup > vehicle > vehicle customisation > Light settings 

The sensitivity should be there, just hit minus a few times and then save it.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links