Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clean Wheels (IronX)

My F is 6 years old (20,000 miles) and until now the wheels have regularly been cleaned but only with car shampoo. Unfortunately this left quite a nasty build up of contaminants I was determined to eradicate. I thought I'd share my experiences in case anyone else was in the same boat.
Usual wheel cleaners wouldn't touch the vast majority of embedded brake dust. So I turned to IronX spray - A PH neutral cleaner, designed to dissolve contaminants. This helped shift more than the regular wheel spray, but there was still lots left. First image shows Where I was at following the IronX spray.

You can get an IronX gel which clings to the surface longer and should provide better cleaning. I gave it a try and was amazed. Image 3 shows the gel in action, the purple is the gel at work, dissolving all the nasty stuck on grub. Image 4/5 shows what I was left with. I was very pleased!

I also took the wheels off, and used the same stuff on the inside (also caked in grime). Followed by clay baring the whole wheel, polishing and then finally sealing with a couple coats of Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

I found I could clay bar the contaminants off without using the gel, but risked scuffing the clear coat (more polishing required), couldnt get into the corners and it also took forever!

DSC_0239.jpg

DSC_0243.jpgDSC_0241.jpg

DSC_0244.jpg

DSC_0245.jpg

• Like 6

Just now, Big Rat said:

Certainly looks like it I'll wait for confirmation from @Toothy before Mrs Rat puts it in the basket with some other car related goodies for me 🤗

🐁

Excellent. I'l consider a purchase once it has been endorsed by @Big Rat (aka Lexus Wheel Supplier)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flytvr said:

Excellent. I'l consider a purchase once it has been endorsed by @Big Rat (aka Lexus Wheel Supplier)

Davi

Dont know about you always been a bit nervous about some wheel cleaning products not being a big detailing type of bloke myself, but from those pics @Toothy has put it looks good,

And of course as you recognise if I mess up I can always chuck on another set and start again and again and ........... 🤣

Big Rat

• Like 1

I've used similar products such as dragons breath (spray) which turns the wheels purple as it attacks the grime.  Very interested in the gel paste, great tip! My car was professionally detailed and clay bar'd mid December which included the wheels. They looked amazing but now the grime has returned, darn you oem dust.....

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links