Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS600 How to drive it

Been to see a 600 today at an independent garage who knew less than me as to how it works from switching it on.  My son has a hybrid, a Toyota Auris and his always starts off in electric mode and when he reaches a certain speed the engine will start and either take over or run in tandem depending on his throttle use.

I turned the 600 on by pressing the start button and the engine clearly started but remained running even when Drive was engaged,   I thought the engine would only come in over 30 or 40 miles per hour.  The salesman was clueless and offered no opinion.

Bit embarrassing really as I have a 460 and thought I would just get in and press the accelerator once Drive was engaged.   Could it have been the Battery was just too under charged?

Any 600 owners out there that would just take me through the basics please.

"Press the starter button and, like all hybrids, there's the sound of silence. Nothing to begin with from the 388bhp 5.0-litre petrol V8: just the almost imperceptible sound of the 221bhp electric motor, part of what must be the most seamlessly integrated hybrid drivetrain yet created. Of course, with over two tonnes of luxury limousine to shift, the electric motor soon needs assistance but the switch in power is seamless, part of a thrust of acceleration that arrives in one smooth linear surge, courtesy of a combined 439bhp power output. "

From the RAC review. HTH

• Like 1

That is correct. My old Prius would always start in winter, but often not in summer. In winter you need heat and demister which = hot engine. So the computer starts it.

• Like 1

OK , thanks for the feedback, useful.   I guess it must have been sitting on the forecourt for a while so if temperature is crucial then that may be why the engine fired up first.

The car had stepped out of the Lexus Service network after 7 services and appeared to have been serviced by non franchised garages which I always feel very cautious about.  No paperwork to show any annual hybrid Battery checks which dealers would or should do so I will not be taking this viewing any further. The one touch Otterman switch failed to put the nearside rear seat into the fully reclined "legs up" position were the front near side seat's headrest lowers, the seat back tilts forward and the seat base moves forward.  I had the ignition on so thought the auto button for the otterman would engage.   Just have to carry on looking.

On the GS450H I used to have the engine always turned on when it was cold. Once warm the engine shut down when decelerating or braking and when standing still, the car would run on Battery power alone up to around 20mph if you had a very light right foot but as soon as you want to make any real progress the engine would fire up and both would run in tandem. I think the system in the Lexus is set up a bit different to something like a Prius as that is an economy hybrid whereas Lexus is more of a performance hybrid.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mrdoofa said:

On the GS450H I used to have the engine always turned on when it was cold. Once warm the engine shut down when decelerating or braking and when standing still, the car would run on battery power alone up to around 20mph if you had a very light right foot but as soon as you want to make any real progress the engine would fire up and both would run in tandem. I think the system in the Lexus is set up a bit different to something like a Prius as that is an economy hybrid whereas Lexus is more of a performance hybrid.

Exactly my experience too !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Steve , don’t know if this is still relevant, but I’ve owned my 2010 facelift model LS600 for 4 years now. I don’t know about other hybrids....but I started with 43,000 now at 160,000....and can still run silently .

I guess depending on age , mileage and useage will affect how the system works. Sometimes when I mine it sounds like a bag of spanners when its been stood for a few weeks , but in daily use on start up is as quiet as any ither car. The 600 works out itself when it needs to run the engine ...it can do up 40mph , I have seen 45mph on Battery power alone but you need a very flat road or be going slight downhill. There is an eco button which makes it battery only upto 20 mph but the throttle pedal is sensitive it’s easy to disengage . On occasion the hybrid Battery can be fully charged and the engine will still run , as it may be cooling the hybrid system or some other function. The one touch ottoman button will work when the ignition is on , and to check if works fully make sure there is nothing in the front seat and the front door is closed .  I return  an average of 28- 30mpg with mixed driving , if you can bear 60/65 on a long  motorway run you can see 35 + mpg.

Also if it is a 2010 facelift check if there are six pot brembo calipers fitted , you’ll know as the disc is almost touching the wheel ( about an inch or so gap on standard four pot ) the pads alone cost around £350 from Lexus and there are no other brands available.

10 hours ago, symon said:

the pads alone cost around £350 from Lexus and there are no other brands available.

OMG, didn't quite realise running costs could be so monstrous !

Malc

Good to hear symon that your 600 has maintained a faultless history regarding the hybrid system.  The specific areas you touched on allow a potential 600 owner a good insight as to what to expect should I find an early 4 seat version in Siena Red with Ivory leather.    The ones I've seen are either in black or silver, neither colour appeals to me, moreover there hasn't been one that was presented in good order.   Main issues are trim missing or damaged, lack of decent service history, galactic mileages and never once have I seen a hybrid Battery annual check certificate even when looking at a car at a Lexus dealership.    It sounds anal but the colour combination is top of my list but I have never come across 4 seat 600 in Siena Red with Ivory leather.   I know every paint colour, leather colour option and wood option  produced at the launch of the 460 and 600 in 2007 but only because I have an original sales promotion kit that dealers would take to a customer who couldn't get to a showroom.   Bought it on E Bay for £60 but  it's of no real practical use but the quality of the kit is outstanding.  All leather covered box and 12 paint swatches, 4 analine leather and 4 basic leather swatches and 3 wood samples.  I have never even seen some of the paint colours on the road but then again 460 and 600 cars are hardly in abundance.    

$_57[3].jpg

$_57[2] (2).jpg

$_57[1] (5).jpg

$_57[1] (4).jpg

$_57[1] (2).jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SH20 said:

Good to hear symon that your 600 has maintained a faultless history regarding the hybrid system.  The specific areas you touched on allow a potential 600 owner a good insight as to what to expect should I find an early 4 seat version in Siena Red with Ivory leather.    The ones I've seen are either in black or silver, neither colour appeals to me, moreover there hasn't been one that was presented in good order.   Main issues are trim missing or damaged, lack of decent service history, galactic mileages and never once have I seen a hybrid battery annual check certificate even when looking at a car at a Lexus dealership.    It sounds anal but the colour combination is top of my list but I have never come across 4 seat 600 in Siena Red with Ivory leather.   I know every paint colour, leather colour option and wood option  produced at the launch of the 460 and 600 in 2007 but only because I have an original sales promotion kit that dealers would take to a customer who couldn't get to a showroom.   Bought it on E Bay for £60 but  it's of no real practical use but the quality of the kit is outstanding.  All leather covered box and 12 paint swatches, 4 analine leather and 4 basic leather swatches and 3 wood samples.  I have never even seen some of the paint colours on the road but then again 460 and 600 cars are hardly in abundance.    

$_57[3].jpg

$_57[2] (2).jpg

$_57[1] (5).jpg

$_57[1] (4).jpg

$_57[1] (2).jpg

Thats a nice item to have Steve , although your search for that colour combination will be difficult ! I have only seen one for sale in that  combo about two years ago. The semi-analine leather is definitely the one to have. A pre 2010 model won’t have you worrying about big brakes though. At around 140,000 miles I had some play in the upper offside front arms and a lower arm on the nearside...I chose to replace all eight front arms ( the 4 bottom lowers are only available from Lexus , and the front lower rear is specific to the 600 - approx a £1000 for those and the top arms were approx €200 delivered from Estonia ? a company called Febest .. the upper arms are the same across the 460/600 range of all years. 

1 hour ago, Chris Skelton said:

'Otterman'? Is it fur-lined?

Ottoman, as in Turkish Ottoman empire, etc..

😂😂 I was just using the same spelling as Lexus , ottoman , maybe they thought thats where you control your empire from as opposed to wondering where all the fur is !!!!

Yes, it's strange, wondering where words originate.  Wiki has it as a padded footstoll or backless couch.

I guess it comes from furniture coming from Turkey, etc., being 'ottoman' in general.

I just read a good book on the history of 'The silk road' where the premise is  that , that area of the world has always been important...even now (Syria? Afghanistan...the other 'stans are now oil-rich, etc..