Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Squeaking in Low Speed

I have a lexus is300h 2014. I've recently hear a squeaking noise in low speeds. It is random and intermittent and I may not hear them for a couple of days. Sometimes when I brake, or sometimes when I take my foot off brake and the car moves in low speeds. It is very obvious. I checked the pads and they are all fines. It is more probable to hear them when the car is warm.

Any idea?

Sounds brake pad related. Does it happen when driving in straight line or when cornering.  ?

I'm sure someone on here will know.

Some of the bigger Citroens had a terrible problem with squeaky brakes.

• Like 1

Yes it is very simple. Take off the suspected wheel and look at the back plate behind the disc to see if to see if it is touching the disc "most commonly at the top or bottom". Turning the hub will often make the noise on the offending wheel.
Bend the back plate away from the disc with your fingers. They bend easily. That's all there is to it.

John 

• Like 1

The car is a hybrid, worth noting the brakes do tend to squeak or groan on application/release at low speeds as they are not used routinely at speed as most retardation is via the regenerative braking function.

Lexus really should engineer this out as it detracts somewhat from the otherwise serene progress

Just exploring possibilities. My routine drive from home involves going uphill between high walls each side of the road. In this hot weather, with windows down to dissipate the stored cabin hot air, I have heard lots of noises. High pitched whine, squeaks and buzzing! 

Follow John's suggestion and see if you can hear anything.

• Like 1

Probably quite normal and not heard when windows aren't open. These things do make a lot of different types of noises outside.  Chances are there is nothing wrong.

Just an update. I brought it to lexus and they checked brakes and plates, etc. they finally told me the reason is my driving style as I am not braking hard enough. They said they could put some grease but it the noise will come back after a while. They confirmed there is no mechanical problem with the car

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hi, I recently bought a dec 2014 registered IS300h that had only 14.5k miles. I’ve now noticed (and can’t un notice) this squealing noise at low speeds. Just wondering if anyone here ever shed some more light on what is causing this and how to make it go away? A dealer blaming driving style for this seems like a pretty lazy (and un lexus like) explanation. Many thanks in advance!

On 8/18/2018 at 6:27 AM, arashtrip said:

Just an update. I brought it to lexus and they checked brakes and plates, etc. they finally told me the reason is my driving style as I am not braking hard enough. They said they could put some grease but it the noise will come back after a while. They confirmed there is no mechanical problem with the car

Yep, classic. The mechanical brakes don't get used as much on hybrids hence the noise

A few emergency stops from 60mph usually cures the issue for a while

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I had this issues last year and lexus told me it could be because of my braking habit. I tried to change it and now again the summer and pulled down windows and I hear the noise again. It sometimes becomes so loud and annoying and it is still random. Also I paid more attention and I heard it at higher speeds even at 45-50mph.

So, it seems it does not have anything to do with the brakes. I brought it to the lexus and they did a test drive and booked a service. They told me as it is random it is very unlikely that it is caused by the wheel bearings or something loose. 

Anyone had a similar experience of such random chirping noise from the rear of the car? I was thinking (it may be crazy) that could it be caused by a problem in hybrid engine?

Hi everybody. Having just bought my first Lexus a couple of months ago I'm totally sold on the brand. It runs like an absolute dream. However just on a couple of occasions at low speed I have encountered this squeak/squeal. It's probably not done it again now for about 3 weeks. I guess if it persists I'll get Lexus Sheffield to checkout the brake plates as suggested.

I have a 2014 GS 300h since 2015 and like you guys can hear this intermittent screeching noise. I'm sure it's coming from the rear wheel on passenger side. I have had it back with Lexus Ireland and they suggested that it was the brakes due to constant light brake use .... And suggested some regular hard brake activity... But as they couldn't replicate the problem they can only recommend and suggest. I've done the hard braking but the screeching continues. 

Anyone with any idea as to what is generating this noise.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 10:55 PM, LGW said:

I have a 2014 GS 300h since 2015 and like you guys can hear this intermittent screeching noise. I'm sure it's coming from the rear wheel on passenger side. I have had it back with Lexus Ireland and they suggested that it was the brakes due to constant light brake use .... And suggested some regular hard brake activity... But as they couldn't replicate the problem they can only recommend and suggest. I've done the hard braking but the screeching continues. 

Anyone with any idea as to what is generating this noise.

do you hear it even at higher speeds like me?

Hi,

I tell you my story. Maybe help. I had noise from the rear wheel on passenger side. Usually when was very hot was louder. Maybe because of hot, maybe because opened window 😉 I went to my car mechanic. He change rear brake pads and disc. Everything was fine for about a year. This year I had this same noise. Noise from the rear wheel on passenger side. I went to this same car mechanic. He checked pads and disc - everything fine. But he had an idea. I'm not a car mechanic and maybe my description is not the best. He clean and put grease on places where the clamps hold brake pads. When you press brake pedal - brake pads move. He put grease "on moving" places as well. DON'T PUT grease on brake pads from brake disc side .OEM Greases for brake system components - for calipers and pads: TOYOTA 08887-80609; And the noise disappeared. Maybe not completely but now I have a pleasure to drive.

Car mechanic said - don't buy genuine brake disc and pads from Toyota. There are not "quiet" any more.

13 hours ago, Leon124 said:

Hi,

I tell you my story. Maybe help. I had noise from the rear wheel on passenger side. Usually when was very hot was louder. Maybe because of hot, maybe because opened window 😉 I went to my car mechanic. He change rear brake pads and disc. Everything was fine for about a year. This year I had this same noise. Noise from the rear wheel on passenger side. I went to this same car mechanic. He checked pads and disc - everything fine. But he had an idea. I'm not a car mechanic and maybe my description is not the best. He clean and put grease on places where the clamps hold brake pads. When you press brake pedal - brake pads move. He put grease "on moving" places as well. DON'T PUT grease on brake pads from brake disc side .OEM Greases for brake system components - for calipers and pads: TOYOTA 08887-80609; And the noise disappeared. Maybe not completely but now I have a pleasure to drive.

Car mechanic said - don't buy genuine brake disc and pads from Toyota. There are not "quiet" any more.

Thank you for your comment. Lexus dealer told me last year that they could put some grease on it but it would be temporary. The problem now is that I can hear it even at 40-50mph and so I do not think it is related to the brakes at all. Maybe wheel bearing or u-joint? But again the dealer said if it was any of them it would be permanent.

I do not trust Lexus dealer. They want only our money. I trust my car mechanic more. He doesn't charge for everything and he really tried help. He works for dealer. From previous work he has experience with Toyota/Lexus. He told me few details about his work. My advise - find good car mechanic and do this job with no rush. Clean everything and put grease. My car is "quiet" so far for 3 months now. Your Lexus dealer said they could put - that means they didn't try.

This may or may not be relevant, but my IS300h had a squeak coming from the back of the car, especially when going over small sharp bumps. I suspected the rear head restraints, so removed them for a few days but it came back. The car went back under warranty for a week and after a few road tests it had a new shock absorber fitted on the rear, but that did not fix it. Eventually after going back twice more they removed the rear window and re fitted it, and it cured the problem, apparently there was a small area that was not sealed correctly and it squeaked going over a bump.

Hope you do get it resolved, squeaks and rattles are frustrating.

Peter 

New observation.

I may be a total coincidence. I may need to park the car on a slope driveway. But when the road is not very crowded I park it on the road.

I noticed that the noise is much lower or even does not exist when I start the car after parking for couple of hours on a flat surface. I insist it may be a complete coincidence but parking on a slope driveway for couple of hours and for at least 3-4 days a week could damage or loosen anything?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2019 at 6:12 PM, Leon124 said:

On 8/17/2019 at 6:12 PM, Leon124 said:

Hi,

Just an update which is somehow related to your reply. The car was serviced today and they told me that the rear pads were stuck in the career and it was the reason for the noise. They removed them, cleaned them and greased them. The noise was not there for about 50miles but it came back after. It maybe better now but the noise is there. The fact that the noise disappeared because of the greasing may prove the problem is from the brake pads. I still do not know why then I even heard it at high speeds.

So, maybe the best solution is to change the pads with non-genuine ones. Any ideas?

• Like 1