Recommended Posts

On 5/6/2019 at 1:08 PM, Martin F said:

Good spot, they are expensive aren't they. I just hope that Yellow Racing or Tarox produce an alternative set of discs and callipers and pads.

I've currently got Yellow Racing discs and callipers on my modified Mine and they are superb with literally no brake dust.

I put Tarox Bespoke on my Phaeton as the OEM's warped with it being such a heavy car and never had a problem so hopefully in time maybe one of these companies will open up the market a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just in case it interests anyone, fitted EBC Red stuff pads to my fronts. Currently in the ‘bedding in’ phase. Very easy to swap out I have to admit. Also got to clean the callipers thoroughly! So far I would say they feel the same as OE (not necessarily a bad thing). Will see how they feel after the bed in and under harsher braking! 200 miles of ‘urban driving’ here I come... 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And just as an update for anyone wishing to avoid the *cough* hilarious Lexus prices for brakes... Replaced my fronts with EBC reds and now I have more than throughly bedded them in, would say they feel the same under regular everyday driving but the bite is much more noticeable for heavy braking, would also like to say that 90% of the god awful brake squeal the F's seem to be infamous for has disappeared and as an added bonus, hell of a lot less brake dust being generated in between washes! 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, hockeyedwards said:

And just as an update for anyone wishing to avoid the *cough* hilarious Lexus prices for brakes... Replaced my fronts with EBC reds and now I have more than throughly bedded them in, would say they feel the same under regular everyday driving but the bite is much more noticeable for heavy braking, would also like to say that 90% of the god awful brake squeal the F's seem to be infamous for has disappeared and as an added bonus, hell of a lot less brake dust being generated in between washes! 😄

Good helpful info thanks, so there is a definite reduction in brake dust. It's strange the chap who used to tune my RX7 always said EBC were crap and was reluctant to put them on one of my Renault vans although I've not noticed any difference brake wise, the van has been remapped so needed better pads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noticed my front pads were looking a bit thin.(like the top of my head but not like the rest of me.....)

Ordered a set for mine today. Good to hear someone having a positive experience with alternative pads.

Pad kit was £493 and change from Lexus. However this Includes wear indicators which are £140 each if bought separately. EBC redstuff were £112 for the pads only.

looking at the us forum, they suggest the wear indicator flags at 2mm of pad left. So will whip them off and change them as soon as they arrive from EBC, so I can reuse the existing wear sensors.

i let you know how I get on!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, Killysprint said:

Noticed my front pads were looking a bit thin.(like the top of my head but not like the rest of me.....)

Ordered a set for mine today. Good to hear someone having a positive experience with alternative pads.

Pad kit was £493 and change from Lexus. However this Includes wear indicators which are £140 each if bought separately. EBC redstuff were £112 for the pads only.

looking at the us forum, they suggest the wear indicator flags at 2mm of pad left. So will whip them off and change them as soon as they arrive from EBC, so I can reuse the existing wear sensors.

i let you know how I get on!

 

 

I took mine off with about 3mm left, and would say the 2mm estimate is about right. The swap was also fairly painless, but I would confess we have a better than average working space and available equipment. A couple of light precision blows got all the bolts started and then finished by hand with a firm wiggle! Gave the calipers a very deep clean, as well as all the brake dust covered bolts that came out, making refitting much smoother too.

My only other small 'heads up' is the wearing in phase once you've fitted the EBC's, the wheels were very very red after the first week of driving, but it is only the coating that comes on the first layer of the pads, but by the time it came to washing it a week later, it was back to a 'regular' brake dust colour haha!

Best of luck! 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Killysprint said:

i let you know how I get on!

Also just out of curiosity, what mileage are you roughly at for your brake change? I made it to around 30k mark and probs had a little more left, just wondering how heavy footed I have been... 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

Also just out of curiosity, what mileage are you roughly at for your brake change? I made it to around 30k mark and probs had a little more left, just wondering how heavy footed I have been... 😄

33,000. Pads arriving tomorrow.  Will get them fitted thurs or fri.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All done and dusted.

Old pads had about 3mm left on them. Just above the wear indicator.

Were a cinch to change, thoroughly cleaned callipers while the wheels were off.

First impressions are good, initial bite seems to be better than the OEM pads. It remains to be seen if this continues.....

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Killysprint said:

All done and dusted.

Old pads had about 3mm left on them. Just above the wear indicator.

Were a cinch to change, thoroughly cleaned callipers while the wheels were off.

First impressions are good, initial bite seems to be better than the OEM pads. It remains to be seen if this continues.....

 

Very pleasing when it is so effortless isn't it? Can then spend the time to clean without being stressed of getting it all back together in time for next use!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Club Hybrid Poll

  • 209 Hybrid Reliability

    1. 1. If you were to consider buying a Hybrid model over 5 years old, would you be worried about the reliability of the Hybrid system?


      • Not really as Hybrid systems are always reliable
      • Not if it had a Manufacturers Warranty on the Hybrid system
      • I would not buy a Hybrid model over 5 years old