Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel Alignment

For ages my car has felt like it wants to move left at the rear (or right at the front?). A bit like it wants to revolve clockwise about it's centre point. Anyway the wheel alignment (or something) definitely feels all wrong.

The dealer replaced all the shocks under warranty and spent ages checking stuff and sorting out the wheel alignment but it's still not right. It's not out by much but just enough to be a right pain. I started to think maybe it was just me or the camber of the road etc. I asked them to look at it again today while it was being serviced but they couldn't notice the problem when they test drove it. The courtesy car's steering felt soooo much better. Anyway all credit to them they're going to take my car for a few days and see if they can see what I'm complaining about.

Has anyone else had this? If so what was it?

[Edited on 13-6-2002 by javadude]

[Edited on 14-6-2002 by Rodders_UK]

Seriously... today I tried swapping the wheels between front and rear. I had Pirelli P6000s on the front and Yokohamas on the rear. It's now the other way round and it's made a difference. It's not easy to tell if it's fixed the problem but it's definitely affected the alignment because.... Previously the steering wheel was slightly off centre - turned left for straight on. It's now off centre to the right and by more. But WHY when I've not swapped the tyres between left and right?!!!! :?::?::?:

No.

Though the dealers did once fit a directional tyre on the wrong way round. Doh! When I phoned them they came out to my office picked up the car and then later returned it with tyre fixed. I work 25 miles away so that was a total of 100 miles and probably about 3 hrs travelling time. They always manage to impress - even when they make a mistake! Also the problem existed before then so it wasn't odd wear due to that incident....

have the same problem at the moment. car pulls to the left, especially on autobahn running >120 km/h

Dealer made a alignment this week and it got a little bit better, but still the car tends to pull to the left.... Will go there again on mondey, so they can try it again

I'm gonna ditch my pirellis and replace them with yokos to match the other pair then get the wheel alignment done again.

(If that doesn't do it perhaps I should just buy that nice blue sport at the dealers for just 500 more than I paid for my S...)

Canter - do you have the same tyres all round?

[Edited on 14-6-2002 by javadude]

I have 4 matching tyres (only 5 month old).

They also tried changing the left front tyre with the rear right before doing the alignment... but don't know why.

I know several people who have different tyres at front and rear (even summer and winter) and had no probs.

I'm not sure, if changing will help.

I wouldn't know a damaged suspension component if I brushed my teeth with it :D but I guess the dealers have checked everything :?: - they replaced all four shocks under warranty as they thought there was some knocking from one of them. :cool: I do wonder how many kerbs the previous owner hit though..... :( Tomorrow I get to find out if one of the pirellis is faulty - they're being binned!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I've the same tyres all round now and the wheel alignment has been re-done. Result - the leftwards tendancy of the rear has gone and the car feels great to drive. It's never felt like this before. I'm one happy bunny!!!! (My guess is either the mix of tyres between front and rear or a faulty pirelli tyre caused the problem.)

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Just paid my bill and dropped off the service team a well-deserved case of beer.

I figure doing so when they've really made an effort is a nice way to say thank you - and they'll hopefully take good care of my car in future too!

Hmm i def would have said mix of tyres....especially with yoko's on. Yoko's are top tyres but the compound is a lot softer than on pirelli's....in other words the yoko's were probably warming up & gripping a lot quicker & that was making the car feel weird. Glad youve got it sorted out & i bet you love the yokohama's...they are fantastic tyres....

Yea - only bought the pirellis cause they had no yokos, it was Christmas, I was busy etc etc. With the yokos on the car is so much smoother and more stable. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

• 8 months later...

Surely vectra drivers would be too scared in case the whole car fell apart? :lol:

I see you're still keen on vb from your username. At least you're moving onto a grown up programming language now though. :P

In fact the Javadude needs to learn to 'Think Out of the Box' !!

(obviously not a very skilled programmer yet....)

'Cause I've never driven a Vectra in my life! B)

But I'm not too scared to try a Go-Kart! :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links