Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cleaning the hybrid fan motor and filter

1 minute ago, Jayw13702 said:

Look for. the vent, whichever side the vent is on I would guess the trunking for the fan assembly will be hidden behind that trim panel in the hatch area of the NX

Agreed, cheers. I’m off work today and tomorrow and inter to wash the car today. I might have a poke around. Is this a service item on any of the recommended schedules? Feels like it should be.

1 hour ago, In_a_state said:

Since it's pulling air from inside the cabin the cleanliness of the air inside will dictate how quickly the mesh gets clogged up.

if you have passengers getting in and out of the back seat regulary

fluff off their clothes can enter the filter and if you have young children

they may even post things through the slots what little darlings they can be 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 200h said:

Ha I remember that. My son has his own car now and my daughter has hers too so my back seat is rarely used nowadays. Can’t speak for the previous owners though 😀

On 1/4/2021 at 2:24 PM, 200h said:

Mine is used as a taxi so I regularly have passengers in and out of the car. 

I used to do a school run and one of the little treasures decided to post some items through the grille one day, didn't take long for the filter to become nearly blocked 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Checked mine today, sad to report is was immaculate, I was looking forward to finding it clogged and then cleaning it and getting a few more mpg out of the car 🙂  Took the opportunity to have a good nose around the HV Battery compartment though, noticed a few faint traces of rust on a couple of the brackets so treated with ACF-50.  Also cleaned out the crud around the tail light bolts which seems to be a source of damp in some owners boots.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cleaned mines today.. at first glance it didn't seem bad, but then I pulled the filter and omg.. it was disgusting to say the least.  The fan itself was ok untill I cleaned the blade then thick dust came of it.  Took me about and hour to do, wasn't difficult at all.

PXL_20220215_210711211.jpg

PXL_20220215_211218278.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Good write up, will these instructions, be the same for a 2019 model?.........just purchased & hoping to learn lots of useful info, is this not completed as part of the Hybrid Health Check & Service at the dealers?

11 hours ago, Javed said:

Good write up, will these instructions, be the same for a 2019 model?.........just purchased & hoping to learn lots of useful info, is this not completed as part of the Hybrid Health Check & Service at the dealers?

Sadly not.... They probably plug in TechStream, run the fan test and check a bunch of other stuff...... You will need to clean the fan yourself.  Easy enough just time consuming i found.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Condition from a 15 plate 30k miles vehicle. Was dusty/fluffed up but far from blocked. I’d say it is a once every 50/60k job to do.

2BC1983D-2F9F-482C-A7BE-1E3C7485680C.jpeg

On 1/25/2022 at 9:33 PM, agent_dess said:

Why is the fan and filter cleaning not part of the service schedule?

That is a question needing to be asked to Lexus from someone with a bit more influence than we poor car owners have.

Not even the easy to access filter next to the rear seat is cleaned when the car is serviced.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 4:59 PM, Las Palmas said:

That is a question needing to be asked to Lexus from someone with a bit more influence than we poor car owners have.

Not even the easy to access filter next to the rear seat is cleaned when the car is serviced.

That is where the air flow goes through the net filter which is directly behind it.  Agree with Maxz, would only do it once every 50k unless you are subject to a burning volvanco giving of lots of ash in which case you have bigger issue at hand 🤣

19 minutes ago, agent_dess said:

That is where the air flow goes through the net filter which is directly behind it.  Agree with Maxz, would only do it once every 50k unless you are subject to a burning volvanco giving of lots of ash in which case you have bigger issue at hand 🤣

It is easy to do and takes 5 minutes, so why Lexus does not do it in each service, that is expensive enough, is not easy to understand. Not all are aware of the need to clean the filter. Sand from Sahara is more common here than dust from volcanos the erupt every thousand year. More or much less.

billede.png.e640d0fcaac3bc1c5ab913ac6615f32d.png

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, VFR said:

Anyone ?

I think if I remember correctly the fan is under the rear passenger seats on the RX450h.. if you look at the bottom front of the rear seat you should see cooling vents.

• Like 1

The worst is that Lexus / Toyota, know how important it is to keep the hybrid Battery cool and there is an easy way to keep the Battery cool and the filter clean (though filter is not needed if they lead dry, clean and cool air to the hybrid battery) and Lexus / Toyota are not doing that. All the cars have AC and the air coming from AC is dry, clean and cool and it would be easy to have a tube going to the hybrid Battery from the AC.

billede.thumb.png.630a3e0b26d83a9a01d73c4bc4c597e4.png

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, agent_dess said:

This may give you a better understanding on Rx 450h

uZCpMsU.thumb.jpg.b82110595e08f535b4f8e01e2e0fc663.jpg

And all you need to feed the 3 blowers with dry, clean and cool air (without needing any filter) is a tube delivering air from AC.

I'm pretty sure there are temperature sensors that control how much air the fans have to deliver.

No more cleaning air filter to the hybrid Battery.

• 6 months later...

Today I did soundproofing on the NX300h which meant taking everything out of the back. If you ever want to check up on the fans of the nx, it's reasonably easy to do.(for models without a spare tire)

Remove floorboard

Remove left and right trays 

Remove the rear plastic boxes they're connected at 60/40. Two philips head screws far right and left.

Undo the plastic rivets that hold the backseat fabric to the 2 boxes, they may need replacing.

You now have a clear view on the fans.

Wiggle the inlet hoses from the fan. Peer in there to check build-up of dust. If you must clean them; they're held down with 3 10mm nuts each. 

20221015_133428.jpg

20221015_133437.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

Oh which filter is that?  where is it ? 😦

In CT air intake to hybrid Battery is next to rear seat:

image.thumb.png.4fdbf13099db3351ac5ae1f9796d4fce.png   image.thumb.png.355dc98bcda0d938ecede19740d282b8.png

Why Lexus did not take a tube from AC is not for me to understand, nice clean cool air to keep temperature down. Where it is, clothes etc. could easily block air intake.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links