Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Drilling or sticking numberplates

Mincey

Whilst I wait for the postman to deliver my new V5, I'm facing a dilemma. Do I follow the advice of the dealer and stick the numberplates for my personal registration on, or drill and screw them on? This may sound like a stupid question, but I was thinking that drilling and screwing them on, using the current plates as a template for the holes, would be the best way to get them on straight and central. Does drilling holes mean the plates are more likely to delaminate? (I've read the bit on the new plates which says "only drill from the front")

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Sticking them on with tape designed for reg plates is the better way to go. They will be more secure, less likely to be stolen and won't promote delamination/discolouration. 

Many thanks - that sounds like the best idea. I think my worries about not getting them on straight (especially on the boot) are fading now as I've put the new ones against the old ones and they are the same size. A few bits of masking tape around the edges of the old plates before I take them off to act as a guide should make the job easier. They're already taped up ready so I'm just waiting for the V5 to hit the doormat.

2019-12-11 11_24_10-2019-12-11 11.19.29.jpg - Windows Photo Viewer.jpg

Yes, double sided tape with super grab adhesive is the way to go.

Maybe I'm being picky here, but I used short vertical strips spaced every 100mm so that water from rain or washing will drain away more readily.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fred81 said:

have you already transferred the plate onto the vehicle (via online service)? if so then put them on the car, you don't need to wait for the v5 to be posted.

Not yet - I've got the retention certificate, but no means of transferring it to the new car yet (unless I'm missing something....). I thought I needed the V5C for the new car. 

6 hours ago, steveledzep said:

Yes, double sided tape with super grab adhesive is the way to go.

Maybe I'm being picky here, but I used short vertical strips spaced every 100mm so that water from rain or washing will drain away more readily.

That does sound more sensible than two long horizontal strips.

9 hours ago, Mincey said:

Not yet - I've got the retention certificate, but no means of transferring it to the new car yet (unless I'm missing something....). I thought I needed the V5C for the new car. 

ah yes, i had thought you meant you were waiting for  the v5c with the new number on it - you DO need to wait for the v5c in your name. carry on 🙂

• Like 1

Yay! The postie brought the new V5C this morning. Plate transferred across, insurance updated - all took 5 minutes max. It's a shame that the V5C took so long to arrive and it couldn't be done online. Still never mind, roll on lunchtime. Out with the screwdriver to whip the old plates off and on with the new ones via the sticky stuff.

you could have maybe just stuck the new plates on top of the old

that was quite satisfactory for mine when it changed from   BCA 3   to a normal regn a while back

Malc

12 hours ago, Malc said:

you could have maybe just stuck the new plates on top of the old

that was quite satisfactory for mine when it changed from   BCA 3   to a normal regn a while back

Malc

I did look into that, but one of the pre-stuck strips of sticky stuff would have gone right on top of one of the screws on the existing plates so it wouldn't have sat flush. In the end it was a far easier job than I'd thought. The front plate just needed lining up in the surround and putting masking tape around the back plate before I took it off meant the replacement was a doddle to get straight and centre. I haven't been out yet to see if either has fallen off in the night.

I just received a personal plate from my kids for my birthday. They registered everything and I did the transfer online with the concluding message "you can put your new plates on now". V5C came a couple of days later.

I hummed and haa'ed over sticky strips versus screws. Some said screws were safer as harder to take off. Actually, I went for sticky strips from Halfords. The existing plate screws came off very easily (almost with just my fingers - so much for being harder to remove) and my new plates were on within minutes. Dead easy.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links