Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls600hybrid starting problem

B Ali

Hi everyone thanks fir the add

i bought my lexus ls600 hybrid 6 mnths ago its been running ok until last  week i came out to it pressed the start button and nothing the Battery is ok but ive noticed a red steering wheel sign with a explanation mark next to it any help would be appreciated before i have to take it to a dealership

all electrics work but it doesnt fire up any idea what it could be thanks in advance Ali

Hi Bash, welcome to the forum.

The dash light indicates that the power steering isn't juiced up enough - ref; https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/experiences/experiences-details/ART2645

The lack of start-up sounds like a safety restriction, as steering is kinda critical right 😉

Do you have an OBD scanner that you can use to review any active/stored codes?

Which Battery are you saying is okay? - the 12v aux Battery or the hybrid traction Battery

Your profile says 2006, so do you know if the 12v Battery is still the original OEM unit?  If so, then maybe it's working changing after all these years...

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheers, Lee

Hello and welcome to the LOC Bash.

Google search found this 😀

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/experiences/experiences-details/ART2645

Personally I would have the 12V auxiliary Battery checked as per Lee’s suggestion and replace it if the original.

Hi thanks for the info its a 2009 model sorry ive got fat fingers

ive changed the normal car Battery for the moment ive not had it plugged in as yet ive left it with my brother to sort and not had any luck so i thought id try on here 

everything works fine electrically but id doesnt start up 

and that sighncomes up in red on dash 

The electric power steering is driven by 48V (if I remember correctly) derived from the 288V traction Battery via a DC/DC converter, so you need to use a code reader or preferably Techstream (the same diagnostic software used in Lexus workshops - look for a miniVCI cable on eBay) on a laptop to get more information about what's happening.

Ah if you have a 2009 LS600h, then there's a voluntary recall for the steering but the details concern the steering wheel alignment rather than an error fault.

Maybe it's worth punching your VIN into the online recall checker?

3 hours ago, B Ali said:

The steering comes in and out as it has been when ignition is turned on does it have a fuse that could have blown

I suppose it's possible but you're dealing with a very complex car and you really can't just be 'stabbing in the dark' and hoping to find and fix the problem. You need to either have any codes read or read them yourself and then use that information to methodically and logically do diagnostic testing.

Two people have already pointed you in the direction of what the steering wheel symbol means but the pertinent bit of text (to me anyway) is highlighted below:

8. Electric Power Steering System Warning Light: This light alerts you to a malfunction in the Electric Power Steering (EPS) system (which helps reduce the effort needed to turn the steering wheel). If the warning light is amber, bring the vehicle to your dealership for an inspection. If the light is red, the vehicle battery’s charge may be insufficient to help power the system and the steering wheel may be difficult to turn (a warning buzzer may also sound.) In this case, you should stop the vehicle in a safe location and call roadside assistance or your Lexus dealership.

Given that the electric power steering is driven by the traction Battery and not the 12V Battery, the problem could lie with the traction Battery itself, the charging system, or the DC/DC converter supplying the power steering pump. You need the codes to steer you in the right direction.

thanks for your advice i will send it in to lexus and will let you know whats said i think to complex to guess whats wrong with it cheers

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links