Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Never had it before, but the Car had dampness in the Drivers Sun shade and lining after a night of heavy rain.

Checked open / close and cleaned verdigree off all round, but similar after a second night having dried out Fridays with towelling.

Anyone have a diagram of the drainage points?   Looked very clean and couldn't see any water lying in the channels area, but.....??

Thanks

Thanks Malc,  Couldn't find them at first. Easier to see when the front aero strip is down. Doh!

Managed a piece of two foot copper wire and a half a cup of water could see the water dripping under the door area.  Not flowing quite as fast as I’d like but having possibly cleared a blockage it will no doubt improve. Can’t have condensation from dampness in the ‘ole Girl. Might try a bit of tubing with a mouth full of water to blow any residue out. Another day!

• Like 1

I had wet in the boot of my LS that turned out to be blocked sunroof drains (after changing the bootseal did not work)

The rear sunroof drain tubes are thankfully easy to get at on the LS if your 93 version is same as MK4. In the boot, under each side boot floor flap, a tube on each side drains out into one way vent flaps. I removed the tube from the right angle connector and put my mouth round it and gave it a good blow (leave sunroof open) and it cleared the evident blockages... no more wet boot after that.

• Like 1

Not sure I've seen any tubes in the boot but will have to check that out. Couldn't see rear holes in the sunroof but as I missed the front ones, I'll search again.

On a different topic completely, I thought of you Malcolm, as might be interested to see this Car for sale.  Almost identical to the Lexus in shape with exception of front bumper shape.  A bargain for someone with space and enthusiasm to fix. The wheels alone look worth the cash and I assume they would fit a LS400. ?   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-LEGEND-1999-VReg-3-5-V6-AUTO-148000mls-MoT-July-2020-Drives-well-Needs-TLC/254518625665?hash=item3b427e0581:g:vb4AAOSwygFeWE2O

10 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Couldn't see rear holes in the sunroof but as I missed the front ones, I'll search again

I couldn't see them either which is why I tackled from the bottom up as it were. The tubes on the Mark 4 were under the boot matt floor, either side of the spare wheel exiting around the rear arch area... I didn't notice/think of them as sunroof drains until it came to the problem.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Malc said:

just poke a length of , say, strimmer cord right down each corner until they emerge

With mine, did this and then got some piping (home brew tubing) filled with water (put finger over top while placing by drain-hole), filled my mouth with water and then spat it down the tube. 

It made sure any lurking gunk popped out.  It was not a lot of gunk, but did stop water drainin gqucikly enough out of the sunroof.

Once done you should get a good flow, if still a dribble then the gunk can grow and cause problems.

• Like 1

On my wife's Mercedes the independent garage tried wire etc, but found an air line over the petrol drain tube (which was blocked) worked a treat as the high air pressure shot out the crud.

16 minutes ago, MLW said:

high air pressure shot out the crud.

Air is always the best, had problems with Omega years ago, wire did not do the trick, but air did.

The problem with wire is if the crud is well hard, the the wire just creates a small drain hole which soon bungs up again.

Maybe there should be a 5 year service note - pressurise any drains - tank and sunroof, that way less likely to accumulate a real mass of rubbish

When my MK2 LS had the blocked drains the car got so wet inside one night it set the alarm off at 4am.  The flooding inside was so bad I considered scrapping it!  As Malc says above, heavy industrial strimmer line is best, wire can cause damage.  Also bear in mind that the drain tubes have rubber at the ends which can be damaged with wire causing even bigger problems.  I used enough line so I could see it emerge under the car, then I gently ran water through to flush.

Poured down yesterday and still getting water in at the Sun Roof.  I can't see where the rear holes are located?  Is it a question of putting the Sun Roof tilt mechaisim up or are they visible with the Sun roof just as far back as possible? Looked but still can't see any rear holes. 

Fronts blow down OK and trickle from the metal sill panel join. Can't feel any actual round hole. Do I need to look again?  The knees don't like it! 

Thanks

On 3/3/2020 at 10:38 AM, Stupot said:

I couldn't see them either which is why I tackled from the bottom up as it were. The tubes on the Mark 4 were under the boot matt floor, either side of the spare wheel exiting around the rear arch area... I didn't notice/think of them as sunroof drains until it came to the problem.

Sorry I forgot your advice here. The old grey matter phased out at the mo. Started to remove the clutter from the boot. Always carry far too much in the way of tools etc. Never need them.  It has always worried me that it looks a bit rusty inside the car at the base of the rear wheel  arch where there is a Grommet for no apparant purpose, nearside.

Not sure I totally follow your explanation but will pull away the rear panel and perhaps all will be revealed.  

Update.  Didn't find any tube inside the Car Boot but found what I thought must be an outflow pipe under the rear side bumper panel.

Poked my flexible net cable in and it went quite a long distance until it came to a stop.  Couldn't see it in the Sun Roof but thought now for some water and a bit of poking. 

What happened when I added the water to the Sun Roof was that water did appear out under the Car nearby,  but not a drop came out of the black pipe!  Must have been dislodged at some time.??

There is no black pipe under the nearside but the water did flow out by what looks like the Boot vent panel.

Not a pretty picture of the underside of the car - come the Summer - perhaps!

Be miffed if it stll leaks.

IMG_3159.JPG

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links