Recommended Posts

Hi, was considering buying a 2016/17 rx450 and was wondering if anyone had any experience  of having one of these converted to Lpg

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the RXs can be converted but not sure about that model year.

However, I ran LPG cars for more than 15 years (including my old 2005 RX300) before getting my RX450h and as much as I love LPG, there's no way I would even consider doing one of these, or any hybrid for that matter.

These cars are incredibly complex as it is, so to add another layer of complexity into the mix is, in my humble opinion, a step too far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks herbie for the reply.Have been using Lpg for quite a while now myself and really only stumbled upon the rx450 by searching for 4+4 petrol jeep fairly well up the years. Last jeep was a 4.4 disco but 225000 miles and the valves are burnt out,I thought maybe the Lexus was my answer ,fairly new, petrol engine and large enough to tow a twin axle caravan .l haven’t actually bought anything yet but what do u think of the rx compared to Lpg or diesel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am currently running an RX300 on lpg and was looking to convert to a 2014 is rx450h have checked out the google and have seen this model converted.Also seen some of the earlier 450h and 400h in the flesh whilst filling up at Asda both drivers said they were excellent so with lpg at 52p per litre that makes for one very economical car.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Micky Glensofantrim said:

Hi, was considering buying a 2016/17 rx450 and was wondering if anyone had any experience  of having one of these converted to Lpg

 

 

 

I believe the RX450H uses the same engine as the GS450H "I could be wrong", and as such is not suitable for LPG conversion. This is because the engine has duel injection, and the direct injector tips get over heated with no fuel being injected to cool them while running LPG.
I researched converting my GS450H, but the only way was to run with a mixed fuel system running the direct injectors with a small amount of fuel at all times. This to me removed most of the reason for running LPG by reducing the fuel cost saving.

John.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Britprius said:

I believe the RX450H uses the same engine as the GS450H "I could be wrong", and as such is not suitable for LPG conversion. This is because the engine has duel injection, and the direct injector tips get over heated with no fuel being injected to cool them while running LPG.
I researched converting my GS450H, but the only way was to run with a mixed fuel system running the direct injectors with a small amount of fuel at all times. This to me removed most of the reason for running LPG by reducing the fuel cost saving.

John.

I have done a bit of research on the Direct and Port injection and the one thing I couldn't work out is that Lexus says the car switches seamlessly between direct injection and port injection so if the direct injection is not being used on petrol would it not then overheat? I am also at a loss as to how you could LPG one but have seen it done on a polish installers web site. I think I will have to do a bucket load of research for when the time to change comes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason I was given for the overheating of the direct injectors was that the combustion temperature is higher running on LPG than petrol. I am not prepared to be a guinea pig by being the first to try this, and bow to the expertise of the installers I have contacted.

John.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately this plan doesn’t look like a runner , though I’ll do a bit more research,would be fantastic if it works 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a chat with Andrew at Profess in South Wales he will put you straight. 01443 812893 I think its a no no though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops, just tried that number to see what profess was and Andrew answered the phone ( don’t like annoying someone I don’t know on a Sunday). Anyway what I need next is the reg of a 2016/17 rx so he can check it out but he’s fairly sure it can be done successfully.Can I take it that all the engines in a rx from 2016 on are all the same , should hopefully be only a matter of finding a registration of one for sale on the Internet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Micky Glensofantrim said:

Oops, just tried that number to see what profess was and Andrew answered the phone ( don’t like annoying someone I don’t know on a Sunday). Anyway what I need next is the reg of a 2016/17 rx so he can check it out but he’s fairly sure it can be done successfully.Can I take it that all the engines in a rx from 2016 on are all the same , should hopefully be only a matter of finding a registration of one for sale on the Internet

I don't understand why you would want to convert one of these complex cars to LPG. Mine is averaging nearly 37mpg at the moment which is about 4mpg less than my wife's Fiat 500. 

I just wouldn't want to be in an accident with all that high voltage electricity LPG and petrol together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the other thing to check is it’s towing capacity. I think it would be unlikely to tow a twin axle caravan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks roger,will look into that , took it for granted a vehicle that size would have been fine.I just seem to run into bother every road I turn 🤦🏼‍♂️. Best finding out now mind you.

Les, you’re getting great mpg but my wife drives 25 - 30000 miles per year, I cover roughly the same myself in a 2003 Honda CR-V running on lpg and think it’s a great job

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RgrWynne said:

I think the other thing to check is it’s towing capacity. I think it would be unlikely to tow a twin axle caravan

The Lexus RX450h Gen3 has a towing capacity of 2000kg but i have been told the the Gen4 version depends of which trim level as to if you can get a tow bar for it.

PFJones only have them up to 2016 and when I asked at a caravan show over a year ago they had details of the base levels could not tow but the top range could... although don't know why as I would have thought they were all the same apart from levels of trim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Micky Glensofantrim said:

Thanks roger,will look into that , took it for granted a vehicle that size would have been fine.I just seem to run into bother every road I turn 🤦🏼‍♂️. Best finding out now mind you.

Les, you’re getting great mpg but my wife drives 25 - 30000 miles per year, I cover roughly the same myself in a 2003 Honda CR-V running on lpg and think it’s a great job

 

Hi Mick, where on earth do you travel to , to do 50,000 miles a year in Northern Ireland 😂😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🙄Drive to Belfast every day, 50 miles , could then be anywhere during the day,then drive home. Not a big place but if you drive around a small place the miles soon go up. Honda CR-V has 245000 and I have a v8 petrol disco with 225000, it has now decided to go to sleep so that’s what I’m trying to replace ☹️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.