Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi all,

I have a 2014 RX450h advance which has been great in the 2 years I have had it.  However, in recent weeks have noticed a water leak into the boot.  The water appears to be dripping from the trim around the right sided  boot light. I am not sure where it originates from.  I can’t see any obvious entry from the boot lid and wonder whether it’s from the roof bars or seal at the rear of this...

I couldn’t find anything on the forum re this model but have seen that it can be an issue for the RX400....

grateful for your thoughts....

David

Hi all,

have attached some photos of where the leak is showing from and where I wonder it might be coming from

pic 1, 3 and 4 are possible entry points I think for the water ingress....3.1 is a zoomed in version of 3. which shows the roof trim  where the roof bars would be?

pic 2 is where i have seen the water coming from in the boot before dripping onto the boot floor.

any thoughts on how best to approach this?

has anyone else seen anything like this before?

thanks

David

leak 1.jpg

leak 2.jpg

leak 3.1.jpg

leak 3.jpg

leak 4.jpg

I'd say the fact that no one has replied means that no one else has had this particular problem and so can't offer any advice. I say that because I know that people in here are usually very helpful so I'd say it's just down to lack of knowledge.

I think it may be worth having a look to see if any water appears when the rear screen washer is activated. I think the pipe runs front to back on the drivers side so it may have come loose or damaged somehow.

Sorry, but that's all I can offer.

• Like 1

I've not heard of this on a series III. As you say there are quite a few instances of series II problems, mainly glued seems coming apart. I can really only suggest working your way down the vehicle - here is a problem found on a series II which shows you the things to look for:

• Like 2

Many thanks all,

Apologies, wasn't suggesting that people were not being helpful at all.  Have really found the forum very informative.

Have done some "testing" at home.  ie one person sit inside the boot and another hosepipe down areas of the car....no clear conclusive location for how water is getting in....i can see water dripping at this time but not sure if it's the lag of the water trickling through the trim etc....

possible area.

1. at the top of the boot behind the roof gutter trim there appears to be a plastic seal....

ultimately, i wonder it's a matter of stripping down the trim and working systematically through ...?

not sure if any other suggestions....

• Like 1

I don't think you have many other options than to start taking some of the trim away. As anyone who has done any plumbing will know, the place of the leak compared to the place where the water appears are normally far apart.

If you have a sunroof then open that up and pour water into the channel to make sure it drains away to under the vehicle - not sure of there are two or four drains on the series III. If they get blocked the water can back up and leak at joints in the pipework.

• Like 1

I had a problem with water ingress into the boot of our Honda Jazz. It was a known problem with water coming through the roof seam when the adhesive had dried out over time.

I bought some Captain Tolleys creeping crack cure and after a few applications it solved the problem. If you have a few suspect areas it might be worth trying it.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links