Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another MOT bites the dust

Last jobs I did on my LS400 were oil change and filter, air filter and pollen filter.

At 92,716 miles I passed the MOT. with an advisory on thin rear brake pads and I knew they would be due soon. No warning light as of yet.

Time for rear discs and parking shoes too really at this mileage.

Last years' brush with emissions failure at idle didn't feature again. So thrashing around a few miles with added Cataclean last year must have really done the job. 

Time to start shopping around for parts. 🧐

:driving:

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Tinonline said:

and parking shoes too really at this mileage.

Simon, I rarely ever use my parking brake, rarely sit on a slope that could be an issue .............  and I don't think my " shoes " have ever been replaced, although annually checked .....  they are very thin product whatever from new

If you use the parking brake then I can see you might be concerned over their longevity

and I'm on 231k miles !

Malc

• Like 1

With regard to the parking brake I received a verbal advisory from my usual MOT tester a few years ago as it was just above the minimum requirement.

I removed the discs/drums, cleaned all the internals with brake cleaner, gave the friction surfaces of the shoes a roughing up with some abrasive paper ( taking precautions re the dust), cleaned up the drum contact area and sparingly applied a little copper grease to the pivot points.

After refitting the drum I adjusted the shoes to lock up then backed off enough for the drum to turn. Pedal clicks went from around 7 to 4 for brake lock up and has remained so since. 

As other members have mentioned there is little wear on the shoes and mine have lasted over 26 years now with adequate friction material remaining.

• Like 2

Thank you my friends - looks like I can be spared changing the shoes. 

I'll give them a good clean and apply a little copper grease to the pivot points.

Good for another 20+ years!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links