Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto high beam assist

Hi - 

Couple of questions regarding high beam assist on a 2018 NX F-Sport. 

We've upgraded from a Volvo V40 where high beam assist gave a very prevalent full beam and dipped beam when going past oncoming traffic and street lamps, however the NX is either malfunctioning or works in a different way, I cannot work work it out. 

The NX appears to still show the high beam symbol on the dash irrespective of following a car or if there is oncoming traffic. When is it not following anyone it appears to "dip" the beam, not that I can notice the difference apart from the blue high beam symbol on the dash change. 

Is this normal behaviour, or should I be taking it back first thing Monday?

Examples showing high beam assist is on, but main beam is active in the pictures below.   Is this an issue?

beam.jpg

follow.jpg

Just to clarify, do you mean high beam assist or adaptive high beam? The former simply changes from high beam to dip and back depending on traffic and street lighting, the latter will maintain high beam but blank areas to avoid dazzling other vehicles, the beam spread changing dynamically but generally appearing to be on high all the time

• Like 1

As nemesis states. There are both systems on the NX F-sport from your year onwards. There is AHB and HBA. AHB or adaptive high beam reduces the number of led’s in the headlight lit so as not to dazzle detected oncoming traffic or if following another vehicle. The blue high beam light remains on.  You will notice when the AHB kicks in by some of the light emitted reducing. It is automatic and works in conjunction with HBA which is High Beam Assist. Once clear it returns back to fully lit main beam.

So in a nutshell your lights are working correctly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Linas.P said:

To be honest I constantly being dazzled by specifically NX'es driving on high beams... I wonder why... 😁

Really!? You see that many?? I see another NX every blue moon where I live.

I was ready to call the dealer this morning and give them a rocket, works very differently from system I had on the Volvo.  Glad I know whats going on now!  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Steve Oliver said:

Really!? You see that many?? I see another NX every blue moon where I live.

I was going to airport last Wednesday and on my journey I had 3 cars driving with high-beam and blinding me... I was like "you f****.... ohh wait that is Lexus NX - they surely have AHB?!" 

I have AHBC on both our cars and... it is always switched off!

The main problem for us is that, living in a rural area, you tend to be on a main road in traffic with the lights automatically "dipped" and then turn off into a small unlit side road and you are completely blind. This is because main beam is only restored when you go above 40kph (25mph) which you generally do not get to immediately after a turn. The system was obviously designed by city boys.

I just use the stalk to put on main beam.

As for dazzle, the LED lamps are very white so other drivers may think this is main beam. The real (i.e. manual) dip cut off is very sharp so I can't see this being an issue. However the beam shaping AHBC does not have a sharp delineation so this may be the problem. It also does not react fast enough when an oncoming car is detected.

I have reported this to Lexus but they have not responded.

18 minutes ago, malcolmw said:

The system was obviously designed by city boys.

...Or the countries with more appropriate roads for the times than UK. In fact most city streets have light already, so I don't see how AHB would help. That said, some A and especially B roads are outright dangerous and would not be considered fit for use in other countries. 

I am sure I haven't mistaken LED lights - on NX'es they were on full high beam blinding me. Potential explanation is that AHB was masking the car in front, but did not spot me coming ahead, so didn't mask the angle I coming from.

That said, all similar system I have seen which supposedly keeps high-beam, but blocks the traffic in front not to bling never works. This is not Lexus issue - same applies to BMW or Audi. They are ok on like A-road where you have 2 lanes and maybe one car in front of you and one coming from ahead. But once you on motorway with 8 lanes and 50 cars to track these systems will always blind somebody. 

I used to dislike the 5mph increments on ACC but I have got to like it as, after all. our speed limits are in 10mph intervals. For example, on the motorway I set the ACC to 75mph normally and if the overhead limit signs come on then I can adjust with just a couple of clicks down. You can, of course, set it to say, 77mph manually.

On my NX the high beam is restored at 40MPH, this is too fast on country lanes where you are typically driving at 30 or below.  I wonder if there is a way to change this?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links