Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Recommended Posts

Hi all, I am planning to rotate allow wheels (not just the tyres) so that thread usage is more equal on all 4 tyres, the question is, how will Tyre Pressure Sensors will react to it? Does anyone know if they are coded in to a particular position on the car i.e front left or rear right?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

In my former GS 300h and now with RX I regularly rotate wheels and no troubles, , wheels position and pressure are correctly read. Else, if you add another wheel set with TPMS sensors you need to register them in car ECU.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Zotto said:

In my former GS 300h and now with RX I regularly rotate wheels and no troubles, , wheels position and pressure are correctly read. Else, if you add another wheel set with TPMS sensors you need to register them in car ECU.

Hi Luigi, thanks for a reply. If it is that easy than I am happy, as I said I am not sure how the system works, I guess time will tell. I am also planning to refurb the wheel and after that who knows which pressure sensor goes where! 😉

I was under impression that you need to code the sensor in to a particular side of the car. 

I do not have 2 sets of wheels, in Scotland you do not need (not a requirement) that but I have all season tyres which do just fine. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Vlad, AFAIK in some cars there is only a receiver for  TPMS sensors , so it needs to memorize the position where TPMS is, in our Lexus cars there is a receiver for each wheel housing, so the registration is only to link TPMS to car.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Zotto said:

Hi Vlad, AFAIK in some cars there is only a receiver for  TPMS sensors , so it needs to memorize the position where TPMS is, in our Lexus cars there is a receiver for each wheel housing, so the registration is only to link TPMS to car.

Does it mean no matter where the wheel is (what side) on the car , the pressure sensor will show correctly on a driver screen and it will be correct for each wheel, I mean the reading on the screen (lets say NS front) will show the pressure from left side front wheel? How the car knows which pressure sensor where to show it correctly on a screen, this is what I do not understand. Thanks Luigi.

I booked wheel refurb for next week as well. Will see how it goes.

Also the guy who will do refurbish of the wheels says that these pressure sensors might cause the problem as it is sometimes impossible to take them out, especially if it is a one piece sensor (there is also a 2 piece sensor) which needs to be cut if it is seized. I have no idea if I have a one or a two piece sensors. Does anyone knows it?

Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Vlady said:

How the car knows which pressure sensor where to show it correctly on a screen, this is what I do not understand.

Having a receiver on each side, car recognises the  nearest TPMS signal as the valid one to be shown in that position.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive always thought rotating tyres was an antiquated method nowadays. Surely its better to have fresh tread on one axle and slightly less on the other than having poor tread on all 4?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Ive always thought rotating tyres was an antiquated method nowadays. Surely its better to have fresh tread on one axle and slightly less on the other than having poor tread on all 4?

Interesting...

Current thinking does seem to be - don't bother.

I can see the logic of doing it BUT, would be worried it would open up a can of worms.

If it ain't broke...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rotating wheels is useful to have same wear on all tires. When doing it in wheels with TPMS you need to be careful to avoid damages to them, but a good tire dealer knows how to do it properly.

Actually I am talking about rotating,tires , rotating wheels does not requires to dismount tires.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

Check that your tyres aren't directional.

Steve, they are directional. I was going to put rear tyres on front and vice versa. I had an repairable puncture (cut) on the front left tyre and ordered a new one, I want to put a new one on the back of the car and the one from the back move to the front.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vlady said:

Steve, they are directional. I was going to put rear tyres on front and vice versa. I had an repairable puncture (cut) on the front left tyre and ordered a new one, I want to put a new one on the back of the car and the one from the back move to the front.

I meant wheels with tyres from front to back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Vlady said:

I meant wheels with tyres from front to back.

Yes, front to back is fine, but you can't do side to side if directional.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A close mate who has worked in tyres all his life (now retired) always told me that if you rotate then you always have to buy four tyres at once.  Being a pauper at the time I always took his advice so could then spread the replacement cost. That was before directional became common.🙂

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership