Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello from an Italian in Co. Cork, Ireland. Looking for suggestions on a GS450H

serbarry

On 2/5/2021 at 10:53 AM, serbarry said:

When the restrictions will be lifted, I may consider buying it in UK and bring it over to Ireland. There is so much more choice in UK. This is due I think to the fact that in UK the motor tax for the GS450H is only £255 while in Ireland it costs 1,809 or 750 euros depending of the year of registration. 

Hi Sergio,

Just be aware that since the start of January this year the rules ( and costs) for importing a car from the UK have changed dramatically.

For example there is now a 10% Customs duty charge based on the cost of the car. Then on top of this there is VAT at 21% (returning to 23% from March.) on the ocst of the car plus duty plus any transport costs. This is before you have to pay the VRT (Vehicle Registration Tax) which will be based on the OMSP (Open Market Selling Price) which the Revenue assign to the particular model and year. It has become a minefield.

Best of luck with your search.

Dec.

Hi Declan,

thank you for the information. Yes I knew that now it is more expensive to import a car from UK even though I read that VAT should not apply to used cars. Anyway if I decide to import it I will try to do it through a dealer in Dublin which usually imports cars from UK as I am not familiar with the process. I know that I will have to pay a commission to the dealer but I wait for now and see if something comes up in Ireland.  

3 minutes ago, Beamish said:

Hi Sergio,

Just be aware that since the start of January this year the rules ( and costs) for importing a car from the UK have changed dramatically.

For example there is now a 10% Customs duty charge based on the cost of the car. Then on top of this there is VAT at 21% (returning to 23% from March.) on the ocst of the car plus duty plus any transport costs. This is before you have to pay the VRT (Vehicle Registration Tax) which will be based on the OMSP (Open Market Selling Price) which the Revenue assign to the particular model and year. It has become a minefield.

Best of luck with your search.

Dec.

Always was Declan ........... the cost of my IS250 EX Auto in 2006 was to be €61,800 in Mahonys .I had moved to the north by the time it was built .  I still bought the car but they put ZZ plates on it and 24hr insurance and I was able to take it to the north where I had just moved . I paid €30200 for the car and then had to pay northern VAT (around £3600) and registration here (£38). Si in all I paid around €36,000 for her . VRT has always been a rip off 

1 minute ago, serbarry said:

Hi Declan,

thank you for the information. Yes I knew that now it is more expensive to import a car from UK even though I read that VAT should not apply to used cars. Anyway if I decide to import it I will try to do it through a dealer in Dublin which usually imports cars from UK as I am not familiar with the process. I know that I will have to pay a commission to the dealer but I wait for now and see if something comes up in Ireland.  

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202011286563867?aggregatedTrim=SE-L&radius=1500&make=LEXUS&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&sort=relevance&model=GS 450H&price-from=500&include-delivery-option=on&postcode=bt342na&page=1

Just now, nicnac said:

But its a facelift with snazzy entertainment system 🤭

I know but if I decide to import from UK I need to stay low on the price as I would not want to spend more than 10-11,000 euros all inclusive. Anyway I would prefer to find a SE-L spec and even with the old tape radio I would not mind as I still have some old tapes which I may listen to again.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Beamish said:

Hi Sergio,

This was just put up on Adverts.ie

https://www.adverts.ie/car/lexus/gs/lexus-gs450h/22934965

Dec.

Thank you Declan for pointing it out. I appreciate it. It must have been a recent advert as I checked the website a few days ago. Unfortunately it has already been sold but I would not have bought it anyway it as the motor tax is very expensive on models prior to 2008: I can't afford 1,809 euros per year. I am looking for 2008-11 models which cost 750 euros in motor tax which is still affordable for me. Anyway this one was very cheap and the high spec, but 2 years of motor tax cost nearly as much as the price of the car. 

12 minutes ago, serbarry said:

They didnt have the wooden swheel  on the SE-L after 2008 to my knowledge and this one hasnt got cooled seats . probably Se . Dont forget in ireland they just had 2 types .basic and ex ........... I thought you had rued out cause of price restraints?

Thank you Nick. Do you mean that in Ireland they had only Base and SE? I have not completely abandoned the idea of importing it from England as I would like to get a SE-L. I might be able to pay more in the coming months if I find a good one, but I need to find a dealer in Dublin which may import it for me.

8 minutes ago, nicnac said:

They didnt have the wooden swheel  on the SE-L after 2008 to my knowledge and this one hasnt got cooled seats . probably Se . 

How do you recognize that this one does not have cooled seats? Also cooled or ventilated seats are the same thing? Thank you

13 minutes ago, serbarry said:

How do you recognize that this one does not have cooled seats? Also cooled or ventilated seats are the same thing? Thank you

the photos show the seat heating but no cooling . Its a Sport Model ............................It says so on the advert !

Oh thank you. I actually just noticed the difference with the seat heating and cooling compared to a SE-L. I had not noticed that it is a Sport so it has particular suspensions I guess and the run flat tyres?

That car is just about as good spec as the SE-L. The seats look like they're cooled as they are perforated. The car has ML and I think reverse camera. Though it doesn't have adaptive cruise but there again I've not seen many GS's with it and I have been looking. That car is a wonderful looking example of the GS and well worth considering. 

Not got cooled seats.

Good miles on it and looks well looked after. Any car with 4 decent matched tyres is usually good. No sun roof though. If you are taller than 6 foot it is useful to have extra headroom with sunroof cover pulled back.

10 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

That car is just about as good spec as the SE-L. The seats look like they're cooled as they are perforated. The car has ML and I think reverse camera. Though it doesn't have adaptive cruise but there again I've not seen many GS's with it and I have been looking. That car is a wonderful looking example of the GS and well worth considering. 

Cooled seats were standard on SE-L only .You can see on the photos its not on the rotary dial . Adaptive Cruise with crash Mitigation was an extra on all models 

But this Sport trim has particular suspensions and run flat tyres? I have read that these tyres are more expensive than common tyres? Anyway for more or less the same price I would go for a SE-L as I like very much the wooden steering wheel and gear knob. Also I have read that since 09 facelift there is a slightly bigger boot which would be very useful. 

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links