Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hybrid system differences in Lexus

Hello Everyone, 

I have a question that some of you may have an answer for, as I'm actually bit crossed at the moment with replies from the Lexus Dealership. 

Initially when I got my GS450h (Jap Import), I called local Lexus in Cork with question about service and Hybrid Battery check - Lady on the phone informed me that there will be no problem as long as I have documentation from Japan about services and that it was carried on with the Lexus guidelines (which I do have and last service has been done around 1k km ago and on 07/2020). 

When I was passing around I decided to stop at the dealership just to confirm that and upon getting there, rep that I spoke to told me that they cannot check the Hybrid System on imported car as there are differences between Eu and Jp cars. That got me disappointed a bit and to be fair this Dealership is a joined Toyota/Lexus one where Lexus part was closed due to lockdown and I had to speak with them on the Toyota part - but I dont think its related as it's pretty much same company.

Now, once that situation happened I decided to contact few dealerships in UK and NI just to see their point of view on that. Here is the funny part as each time I specifically told them that car is Japan import and so far I got reply from one UK dealer with same result, that Jap build is different and they cannot give warranty on Hybrid, but Belfast Dealer told me that it's no problem and they will do so for 59 punds. 

Am I getting pushed back by Dealers saying that there are differences? 

I wonder if any of you had experience in that area and if there are really any changes that won't let them do the check. 

All the best, 

Bart

51 minutes ago, Kijan said:

but Belfast Dealer told me that it's no problem and they will do so for 59 punds. 

I don't know the answer but I have to ask - does it matter? If the Belfast dealer will do it, why don't you just go and get it done.

I cannot answer your question regarding differences in the Battery design. However, I would expect them to refuse any warranty as long as the car is non-UK car. Reason for that is that technically Toyota/Lexus Japan is different company from EU/UK branch. Same way as say mobile phone you bought in South America would not be warranted by Samsung or apple UK (and vice versa) unless it specifically has "worldwide warranty", but even then they will do everything to refuse warranting it. And that is for devices which quite often move around continents, but for cars this is quite unlikely to happen, so I am not sure if concept of "worldwide warranty" even exists on cars. I know that for example Lexus US quite specifically states that warranty only applies in US (doesn't even apply in Canada or Mexico).

In summary what I am saying - their refusal to warranty it is likely to be more of the policy/legal thing rather than any particular technical difference. The liability to warranty your car simply lies with Lexus Japan and not with Lexus UK. The difference in design is most likely just an excuse, rather than saying - "sorry it is a policy thing".

Not sure who picks up the tab for any warranty claims for the HHC, be that Lexus GB, Europe or TMC in Japan but it isn't the dealer and so their hands are tied. At a corporate level Toyota do not support grey imports and so don't give warranties for out of region vehicles.

Whether the dealer can actually run the HHC I'm not sure either - they have automated the system with regards to carrying out the tests and registering the warranty. It all starts off by entering the VIN - that may not allow the mechanic to proceed if a European VIN isn't entered. The mechanic could probably run through the various tests individually within Techstream though that may take slightly more time and therefore a higher cost and without the warranty, possibly isn't of much value.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I don't know the answer but I have to ask - does it matter? If the Belfast dealer will do it, why don't you just go and get it done.

I'd recommend Lexus, not the dealer, confirm the warranty would be valid. Wouldn't be the first time a dealer has assuming something and it turns out not to be the case.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Actually that would be all about distance - as I'm based in Cork, so anything more local would be welcome 🙂 Of course if any other Dealership decline me, I wouldn't mind going to Belfast to get it done in few months

3 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I cannot answer your question regarding differences in the battery design. However, I would expect them to refuse any warranty as long as the car is non-UK car. Reason for that is that technically Toyota/Lexus Japan is different company from EU/UK branch. Same way as say mobile phone you bought in South America would not be warranted by Samsung or Apple UK (and vice versa) unless it specifically has "worldwide warranty", but even then they will do everything to refuse warranting it. And that is for devices which quite often move around continents, but for cars this is quite unlikely to happen, so I am not sure if concept of "worldwide warranty" even exists on cars. I know that for example Lexus US quite specifically states that warranty only applies in US (doesn't even apply in Canada or Mexico).

In summary what I am saying - their refusal to warranty it is likely to be more of the policy/legal thing rather than any particular technical difference. The liability to warranty your car simply lies with Lexus Japan and not with Lexus UK. The difference in design is most likely just an excuse, rather than saying - "sorry it is a policy thing".

11 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Not sure who picks up the tab for any warranty claims for the HHC, be that Lexus GB, Europe or TMC in Japan but it isn't the dealer and so their hands are tied. At a corporate level Toyota do not support grey imports and so don't give warranties for out of region vehicles.

Whether the dealer can actually run the HHC I'm not sure either - they have automated the system with regards to carrying out the tests and registering the warranty. It all starts off by entering the VIN - that may not allow the mechanic to proceed if a European VIN isn't entered. The mechanic could probably run through the various tests individually within Techstream though that may take slightly more time and therefore a higher cost and without the warranty, possibly isn't of much value.

I kind of felt that way as you wrote - likely it sounds like a polite way of saying they cannot do so (indeed likely by policies). After all I may check if it's possible just to have it's checked without warranty - maybe that would do work -

I have no reason to complaint about the Battery as of now - it works perfectly, so it's more of check for me to know where I stand. Just other thing on the policies that I find strange is that they surely have no problem doing full car health check and service - just hybrid system is being left out 🙂 

20 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

I'd recommend Lexus, not the dealer, confirm the warranty would be valid. Wouldn't be the first time a dealer has assuming something and it turns out not to be the case.

Good point Colin.

19 minutes ago, Kijan said:

Just other thing on the policies that I find strange is that they surely have no problem doing full car health check and service - just hybrid system is being left out

At an individual owner level of an imported vehicle, Toyota GB have sanctioned that dealers should help where they can. But I think because the HHC is tied to a warranty, that is the issue.

1 hour ago, Kijan said:

Actually that would be all about distance - as I'm based in Cork, so anything more local would be welcome 🙂 Of course if any other Dealership decline me, I wouldn't mind going to Belfast to get it done in few months

I kind of felt that way as you wrote - likely it sounds like a polite way of saying they cannot do so (indeed likely by policies). After all I may check if it's possible just to have it's checked without warranty - maybe that would do work -

My suggestion is to check with Lexus Ireland about it. It does not make much sense to me going to Belfast to get it done simply because if in the future you had a problem with the hybrid system how could you drive up to Belfast to have it checked? Equally I think it is useless to have the hybrid health check without warranty for another year. I simply would prefer not to know how is the Battery without any warranty given. I would prefer to face the problem when it occurs rather than knowing that it did not pass the test or it passed it but without warranty.  

6 hours ago, serbarry said:

My suggestion is to check with Lexus Ireland about it. It does not make much sense to me going to Belfast to get it done simply because if in the future you had a problem with the hybrid system how could you drive up to Belfast to have it checked? Equally I think it is useless to have the hybrid health check without warranty for another year. I simply would prefer not to know how is the battery without any warranty given. I would prefer to face the problem when it occurs rather than knowing that it did not pass the test or it passed it but without warranty.  

Yeah I would double check about that, mainly this post is due to that the same Lexus Dealership over the phone told me its no problem to have the check done on Japan car and once I came over they started to make excuses. I was more curious about if there is possible difference in the build 🙂 So far have absolutelly no issues with the car at all, it's just a bit of peace of mind thing 🙂

10 hours ago, Kijan said:

I was more curious about if there is possible difference in the build

Fundamentally they are all the same. You get differences with the equipment fitted as standard and available as options between regions, and changes due to regulations (emissions, lighting, security, safety etc.). But 90%+ of the vehicle, including the hybrid system, is the same.

On 3/15/2021 at 12:48 PM, Kijan said:

Hello Everyone, 

I have a question that some of you may have an answer for, as I'm actually bit crossed at the moment with replies from the Lexus Dealership. 

Initially when I got my GS450h (Jap Import), I called local Lexus in Cork with question about service and Hybrid Battery check - Lady on the phone informed me that there will be no problem as long as I have documentation from Japan about services and that it was carried on with the Lexus guidelines (which I do have and last service has been done around 1k km ago and on 07/2020). 

When I was passing around I decided to stop at the dealership just to confirm that and upon getting there, rep that I spoke to told me that they cannot check the Hybrid System on imported car as there are differences between Eu and Jp cars. That got me disappointed a bit and to be fair this Dealership is a joined Toyota/Lexus one where Lexus part was closed due to lockdown and I had to speak with them on the Toyota part - but I dont think its related as it's pretty much same company.

Now, once that situation happened I decided to contact few dealerships in UK and NI just to see their point of view on that. Here is the funny part as each time I specifically told them that car is Japan import and so far I got reply from one UK dealer with same result, that Jap build is different and they cannot give warranty on Hybrid, but Belfast Dealer told me that it's no problem and they will do so for 59 punds. 

Am I getting pushed back by Dealers saying that there are differences? 

I wonder if any of you had experience in that area and if there are really any changes that won't let them do the check. 

All the best, 

Bart

Why did you not get one from uk? Just curious there’s a few on autotrader 

34 minutes ago, Riccccccardo said:

Why did you not get one from uk? Just curious there’s a few on autotrader 

I think it was all about getting this right mix of colour, interior and version - I couldn't say no once I spotted that one 😂 If I choose to import from UK then it would mean few more weeks at least before getting it 🙂 at the same time there is close to none of MK4 in F Sport trim in ROI 😞

Lexus will do recalls on imports, as required by law. 

There will be no warranty from Lexus, even with a brand new import from Japan. 

If a dealer offers it, that’s on them. 

there is zero difference between the hybrid systems. Parts are 100% the same. 

On 3/16/2021 at 7:09 PM, Kijan said:

I think it was all about getting this right mix of colour, interior and version - I couldn't say no once I spotted that one 😂 If I choose to import from UK then it would mean few more weeks at least before getting it 🙂 at the same time there is close to none of MK4 in F Sport trim in ROI 😞

I think my car begin its life 1st owner in Scotland it’s new home in London with me now 😅

Interesting! It seems that Europe is different from UK regarding warranties. I live in France and was told I could not get an extended warranty on the car only the Battery even though the car had been serviced by Lexus in the England every year from new. They only give an extended warranty if the car is less than three years old

1 hour ago, westo3 said:

Interesting! It seems that Europe is different from UK regarding warranties.

Toyota GB own the warranty in the UK (well I guess GB rather than UK) so yes it will be different to what Toyota/Lexus Europe or individual countries do.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links