Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Recommended Posts

As we start to emerge from Lockdown,  my thoughts were on good breakdown cover for an aging vehicle.  Online are numerous Companies offering all sorts of cover at various prices.  Our car is low mileage, well maintained but will be subject to longer journeys from the end of April.  My preferred choice was either AA or RAC.   Had online quotes from both services at around £140/year for advanced cover.   A few days ago, I got a popup from RAC offering reduced breakdown cover prices.  We now have advanced Cover from RAC for £70/year.  Exactly same cover and service as previously quoted at £140.  Totally content now and looking forward to end of Lockdown.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On my 1996 Volvo 940 I have Start Rescue. 2 star cover.

Had 2 cars so had Personal cover for around £70. Now have a Toyota with warranty so covered under that.

Cost for only Volvo is £52.00 Used them once in 3 years when my Volvo fuel pump died at 203,000miles. recovered the car and me 6 miles back home.

James👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob hi,   RAC, well mine anyway, covers both me and my prtnr and any car we happen to be even a passenger in ( I think ) when the need to call occurs ..........  always had brilliant response, recovery, courtesy taxi too ...  and it says overseas too but never used that aspect ....  I think overseas recovery is limited to what it might cost to recover compared to vehicle value ............  doesn't apply to the car occupants tho .....  they're absolutely priceless ( or valueless :wink3: ) whatever

My Ls400 is 25 years young too

Malc

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got AA cover as part of Lloyd’s bank packaged account, once for a flat Battery and the other for a broken rear spring both coincidentally after leaving the car at the local airport.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/4/2021 at 9:50 AM, royoftherovers said:

My 18 year old Merc is covered free via my Nationwide Flexiplus a/c.

Likewise John :thumbup: and covered for all of the EU as well as the UK, which is good for me as need to visit my Dad in Luxembourg and sister in Belgium as soon as this crap is under control.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BigBoomer said:

Likewise John :thumbup: and covered for all of the EU as well as the UK, which is good for me as need to visit my Dad in Luxembourg and sister in Belgium as soon as this crap is under control.

Do check the small print George as the value of our vehicles could easily be exceeded by the cost of bringing it back to UK and there is a need to show that the vehicle continues to be serviced in accordance with Manufacturers instructions.

Please let me know if you find out about travelling as we`ve not been to our villa in Spain in almost two years now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nationwide FlexPlus let me down a while ago

I had just tripped my front wheel into a hidden dip/ditch doing a challenging countrylane right turn ..........  they refused to send anyone to help pull me out ...  I was blocking the road and on a bend ......  they told me to contact my car insurers as it was their responsibility to sort me out !  NOT the Nationwide guys

Previously the RAC had come up trumps in a similar challenging situation slipping off the A2 on a bus diesel spill

So I called the police and they sent a guy out to warn other road users of the danger and a local car driver popped home to get his other car and a tow rope to just pull me clear

All that was done in a half hour too

Couldn't believe that the car's insurers were going to assist per se  .....  Nationwide just let me down !

Malc

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have service records and the vehicle is worth well over £4k if the values on eBay/AutoTrader are anything to go by.
I got caught by that once with the RAC years ago. My bike overheated and seized in Austria.
I called RAC and they arranged a recovery. I never saw the bike again. ☹️
Was informed that it was too old and not worth repatriating so it got scrapped in Austria.
I should have fought them as it was unique for the model, having been one of the Press Demonstrators.

If I hear anything re EU travel, I'll let you all know. I need to go visit Dad soon as the current Chemo is hammering him. ☹️

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Malc said:

Nationwide FlexPlus let me down a while ago

I had just tripped my front wheel into a hidden dip/ditch doing a challenging countrylane right turn ..........  they refused to send anyone to help pull me out ...  I was blocking the road and on a bend ......  they told me to contact my car insurers as it was their responsibility to sort me out !  NOT the Nationwide guys

Previously the RAC had come up trumps in a similar challenging situation slipping off the A2 on a bus diesel spill

So I called the police and they sent a guy out to warn other road users of the danger and a local car driver popped home to get his other car and a tow rope to just pull me clear

All that was done in a half hour too

Couldn't believe that the car's insurers were going to assist per se  .....  Nationwide just let me down !

Malc

You do question malc as to if the £13 a month is paying its way? I now am covered via Lexus for breakdown, phone cover, neither here nor there but the biggy is travel insurance. I have an age extension and at 95 £ a year seems a good deal maybe? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just not taking the age extension on the Travel insce right now ......  starts at 70+ and they quoted me £65 from 6th April, same last year too .....  if i get to travel overseas then I'll buy it mid stream ......  my partner is only 67 !!!  this June and she's still excess cost free and booked on a Fred Olsen Xmas markets cruise, just a few days, to Germany with her sisters for end November upcoming ...............  if it happens 

I think I maybe get my £13 a month value from using my cards for overseas currency purchases and bills I pay for my business .....  no excess rate conversion costs etc

No longer get the 0.5% cash back on the credit card purchases though 😵

Too premature to stop paying .....  I'm sure I'll soon be able to travel overseas :unsure: .....  whistle down the wind eh !

Malc

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Malc said:

I'm just not taking the age extension on the Travel insce right now ......  starts at 70+ and they quoted me £65 from 6th April, same last year too .....  if i get to travel overseas then I'll buy it mid stream ......  my partner is only 67 !!!  this June and she's still excess cost free and booked on a Fred Olsen Xmas markets cruise, just a few days, to Germany with her sisters for end November upcoming ...............  if it happens 

I think I maybe get my £13 a month value from using my cards for overseas currency purchases and bills I pay for my business .....  no excess rate conversion costs etc

No longer get the 0.5% cash back on the credit card purchases though 😵

Too premature to stop paying .....  I'm sure I'll soon be able to travel overseas :unsure: .....  whistle down the wind eh !

Malc

Good point about overseas purchases completely forgot its been that long 😱

Link to post
Share on other sites

My Wife took grandkids to local playpark after lockdown ,sat in car with radio on.......wouldnt start,

AA refused to come out as car was just out of MOT.

I was unaware of the lapse, my fault.

However despite being a woman with two toddlers ,stranded ,they were refusing to help.

Renewal came in at £504 for family relay following month!

we are now with RAC at £200 something, covers all family at address,

ie Us, Granny and daughter

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership