Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GSF Carbon interior trim delaminating

Interesting to know. I've got a few more bits that have been affected after Lexus insisted I've used inappropriate cleaning chemicals on them the cold weather spell.

It's a shame that the next bit to go is the section that surrounds the gear change, ash tray and up to the arm rest. Looks like I'll be starting at the deep end!

1 hour ago, mrfunex said:

Interesting to know. I've got a few more bits that have been affected after Lexus insisted I've used inappropriate cleaning chemicals on them the cold weather spell.

It's a shame that the next bit to go is the section that surrounds the gear change, ash tray and up to the arm rest. Looks like I'll be starting at the deep end!

The gear select area is the bit thats gone for me, with small amounts appearing around the edges of the dash trims.

Had someone look at it and concluded it's 100% sun damage, mine lives in the same spot behind the house and so the sun path across it is consistent, it hits the gear select region for several hours. Add that up over nearly 5 years of ownership, can likely explain it.

@F.A. I am brave, but I know my limits haha. Everything looks easy when someone knows what they are doing. I'd want some practice runs on an already scrapped piece of carbon before trying on my own car!

Oh that’s what I didn’t want to hear, the gear surround going. I have seen it on the US forums but was being optimistic that only the dash and door trims were affected. I guess it’s going to happen to all of us at some point. Hopefully someone can become an expert at resorting these pieces in the future. 
Complete rubbish from Lexus, clearly a manufacturing defect. Damn ‘inappropriate cleaners’ and air freshers 🤦🏽‍♂️🙄

I did find it interesting in the video that he was kinda blaming the cold (definitely not the issue here haha) and how crazy easy it seemed to separate from the carbon, almost like it didnt even bond properly in the first place.

I'll add it to my list and see how brave I'm feeling one day... maybe!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, would it be worth getting in touch with Lexus UK again but angle the discussion in terms of percentages? For example if 7/8 of you GSF owners alone are suffering this issue and they only sold 73 GSF's in the UK. That would account for circa 10% of cars sold having an issue which seems pretty significant indicating a manufacturing defect ?

Just trying to help as it's disappointing to see so many being affected, I'd be gutted if it was my car.

If my idea is no use, no worries 🤣

4 hours ago, 4969_LXS said:

Hi everyone, would it be worth getting in touch with Lexus UK again but angle the discussion in terms of percentages? For example if 7/8 of you GSF owners alone are suffering this issue and they only sold 73 GSF's in the UK. That would account for circa 10% of cars sold having an issue which seems pretty significant indicating a manufacturing defect ?

Just trying to help as it's disappointing to see so many being affected, I'd be gutted if it was my car.

It'd only ever be a couple of people moaning - I suspect everyone would just get fobbed off. The car's not in production any more, they never sold many, and it's only a bit of trim; so unfortunately I'd imagine the chances of Lexus UK making a big issue of this is zero.

5 hours ago, 4969_LXS said:

Getting in contact as a group and signing the letter as such.  If everyone in the UK suffering with the issue signed a group letter it may get some attention.   Much harder to claim that a single person did something incorrectly if a whole group have the same symptoms.

How many people on here are currently seeing this problem?  Any RCF owners seeing the same?

Just now, Jgtcracer said:

Getting in contact as a group and signing the letter as such.  If everyone in the UK suffering with the issue signed a group letter it may get some attention.   Much harder to claim that a single person did something incorrectly if a whole group have the same symptoms.

How many people on here are currently seeing this problem?  Any RCF owners seeing the same?

I would definitely be up for this. 
It wouldn’t surprise me if most GSFs on here are suffering with at least one trim piece that was affected.  I think so far we have @hockeyedwards and @mrfunex. There was also @ColinBarbers car which has since been sold and also a couple more but, I think they have been sold also. 

Even after suggesting the group letter myself earlier in the thread I have decided I'm giving the DIY route a bash, sadly, I've come to terms with the fact Lexus UK likely won't care. Also stupidly busy now work wise to prioritise a complaint. If a letter gets made, can add my name/ signature/ evidence, but unfortunately won't be much more from my side peeps.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links