Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


What is a first year apprentice worth to a small shop?


Recommended Posts

I’ve been working here about a year, started at minimum wage (12.55)right after college and got a dollar raise a few months in, but the thing is since starting here I’ve been doing a lot more than most would expect of an apprentice and I feel I’m worth more at this point. I’ve done some Heater cores and a head gasket, and I’ll admit my red seal did walk me through the difficult parts and gave pointers on those jobs but didn’t touch it. Daily I do rads, water pumps, gas tanks ,brakes, some suspension and things along those lines. And I normally don’t have any “come backs”

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Christopher33 said:

I’ve been working here about a year, started at minimum wage (12.55)right after college and got a dollar raise a few months in, but the thing is since starting here I’ve been doing a lot more than most would expect of an apprentice and I feel I’m worth more at this point. I’ve done some Heater cores and a head gasket, and I’ll admit my red seal did walk me through the difficult parts and gave pointers on those jobs but didn’t touch it. Daily I do rads, water pumps, gas tanks ,brakes, some suspension and things along those lines. And I normally don’t have any “come backs”

Not quite sure in Surrey what a "dollar raise" is precisely 🤔 but you are fortunate enough to live in a Western Democracy where freedom of choice is mostly assured. You will only ever get paid what your employer thinks you are worth. If you think that you should get more put forward your case with numbers, if rejected then make a decision, leave, or stay as you are and prove your worth. If you do leave think about setting up on your own that way you can have the whole country assessing your worth rather than just one individual. 👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Given that you talk of "dollars," "shop" instead of workshop, and a "red seal" (whatever that is), I would hazard a guess that you're in the USA/Canada maybe? If so, I doubt any info you get in here would be applicable over there.

Plus, working at a small place is always going to be very different to a big place.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also bear in mind that the grass is not always greener on the other side 🤔

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The real value will be the experience and knowledge you gain. That's what will interest future employers.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'm right in saying this ....... in the UK the Govt has specific rules surrounding Apprenticeships, length of the Apprenticeship too, pay - with Govt Support ?, conditions, reporting etc

Might be in the USA / Canada there are similar Govt regulations

Good luck, nothing like training on the job ............. whatever the pay levels

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Given that you talk of "dollars," "shop" instead of workshop, and a "red seal" (whatever that is), I would hazard a guess that you're in the USA/Canada maybe? If so, I doubt any info you get in here would be applicable over there.

Plus, working at a small place is always going to be very different to a big place.

It wasn't that long ago that your parents Paid an employer to take you on as an apprentice 😱. As the old saying goes, "when I was 16 my dad embarrassed me with how little he knew but by the age of 21 I was amazed by how much he had learnt in 5 short years 😂

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PCM said:

The real value will be the experience and knowledge you gain. That's what will interest future employers.

And the competence you subsequently display....?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

It wasn't that long ago that your parents Paid an employer to take you on as an apprentice 😱. As the old saying goes, "when I was 16 my dad embarrassed me with how little he knew but by the age of 21 I was amazed by how much he had learnt in 5 short years 😂

I should have added my commercial apprenticeship rate when starting was £4.15s.3d. Before deductions of course 😎

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

£4.15s.3d. per what, Mr Skilled Trader?

A week of course! No monthly pay in those days 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership