Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Dodgy Fuel Gauge?!

Raz decided to be a cheapskate today, popped into tescos and filled up £20 of their fuel.. drove down the road, it was still on RED!!!!

Drove back, was given :tsktsk: about how I would have to get proof there was no petrol in there and that the guage is not faulty etc etc.

So went down to the toyota garage (nearest lex centre is 40 miles away) to see what they say, they didnt wanna touch it as the car is under warranty and they said it would be 3 hours labour) finally an idea came to me to put another 10/20 quid in at shell to show its working... :unsure:

when to shell put some optimax in......

The needle stop straight up :duh:

Has anyone else had this problem? and if so what caused it? I was 2 hours late for my meeting :angry::angry::angry::angry:

I have on occasions put in £5 of fuel (where it was very expensive and I just need a bit to get home), the gauge never shot up.

Maybe the needle is stuck as you always at empty it's actully siezed at that point :P

I always keep it at empty? :lol:

Nar get a full tank 90% of the times 78.9/79.9 per litre of OPTIMAX.

Try to aviod filling up as much as i can tho :lol::whistling:

Might be worth checking it into the Lexus dealer mate?

Maybe it's those loud tunes that you play that has been shaking the tank up too-much ;)

Aido it aint like my dealers just down the road, but if the problem persists I will take her down to dealer.

:offtopic::lol: @ tunes, how do you know? only met me for 5 mins... Didnt blast any tunes as the system as everyone has the same (and i was out voted on the choice of musical genre by my cousin and his mate, i'll make them walk next time :) )

There were some nice set ups yesterday, but i'm trying to convince myself that the stock premium system is good enuff :unsure:

its a known fault on earlier cars that the guage can stick, the only solution is a new dash ecu

Mat, this will have to be a reoccuring problem before its replaced under warranty tho isnt it?

:offtopic::lol: @ tunes, how do you know? only met me for 5 mins... There were some nice set ups yesterday, but i'm trying to convince myself that the stock premium system is good enuff :unsure:

That's easy mate, I saw you dribbling when you saw Imi's fully loaded system hehe :D

just tell them it is..........the only downside from changing the ecu , is it wipes your current milage :whistling:

ahh ok, i'll fill up with £20 lots over the next weeks and see how it goes.

:offtopic: They werent too keen on giving me a new head unit tho. I get the err 3 on disc 6, but only on cd-rs and originals take a very long time to load :angry:

its a known fault on earlier cars that the guage can stick, the only solution is a new dash ecu

I had this the first time I filled up from new, the guage stayed on red, but eventually corrected itself after 20-30 minutes. It happened every few times I filled up.

After chasing the dealer for 6 months they eventually said it needed the new dash ECU (and would wipe the milleage). I never did bother as I got used to it and didn't want the car to look like it had a dodgy history.

After chasing the dealer for 6 months they eventually said it needed the new dash ECU (and would wipe the milleage). I never did bother as I got used to it and didn't want the car to look like it had a dodgy history.

Cheers Ricky,

I think i'll live with it... as long as it doesnt make me 2 hours late for appointments :angry:

this has happened to me a few times - the solution is: when you go to start the car leave the key in the on position for a bit and the guage will go up, i have found that if you start the car straight away the guage sometimes sticks and then will go up after about 30 mins.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links