Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dashcam

PeteTP

• 3 months later...

Mine was just installed by lexus reading.

Has anyone used the camera viewer? After pressing the wifi button I can connect to the camera no issues, but for some reason it always shuts off again after about 30 seconds. This is enough time to scroll through the videos but not watch any or download them. It feels like this is some kind of weird "setting" I have tried various power on/off wifi on/off combinations and it's the same issue.

Any one had the same thing ?

28 minutes ago, PeteTP said:

Sorry to hear that Digga. TBH, I’ve not experienced any snags with mine. 

What exactly Dya mean when ya say it shuts off? Which bit, the app or the dashcam unit?

PeteTP

The dashcam powers itself down. Seems to be related to power.. I finally discovered If i turn the ignition on it seems to fix it. I.e if you want to use the wifi mode make sure the ignition is on.

• 2 weeks later...

While some members have had the Lexus Nextbase camera fitted I must call out the sterling service Nextbase give even when the camera is out of warranty.  I use Nextbase cameras  in my own ES and the wife's Yaris.  Nextbase  had a problem recently in answering the phone on their dedicated support line but that seems to have resolved itself now. 

I fitted a new Nextbase 522GW with a rear camera in my new ES and that is hard wired into the car like the dealer does for their own fit and supply service and my new camera  has been fine obviously as it's only a few months old.   I removed my original Nextbase five year old  512GW camera, again with a rear camera from my 1st ES and refitted it into the wife's Yaris using a hard wire  kit and it has been fine up to last week. I have had it around 5 years and gave me no problem up to last week. 

Problems with holding a charge resulted in a call to Nextbase for help.  They said they have a service to investigate problems for out of warranty cameras and said they would send me an email to fill in the fault details/issues.  I sent it back by return and they then sent me a repair number and address label for me to send them the camera.  All within 24 hours.  The camera will be with them tomorrow the 14th March and when their Engineer has identified the problem I will receive a call and discuss the costs to repair and/or other options.    I suspect the internal Battery has failed and after 5 years not sure if that is fair or premature.    The point I'm making is that no matter when I have rung them with an issue or tech query they are simply the best at offering solutions and are very quick at getting stuff in the post if needed. 

Anyway I thought I would fly the flag for Nextbase.

I have to agree with the above. I fitted a 612GW to our RX and it’s brilliant when it works, but has been plagued with multiple issues, mainly due to the Battery not having time to  charge sufficiently on short trips.  Clearly a design flaw and a known issue when I have spoken to the techs. However they have always been happy to assist, which goes a long way in my books. 

I was always a bit skeptical of the comparatively ‘basic’ Nextbase model that Lexus fits, but non the less, had one fitted to our GSF. Fortunately it has been flawless… apart from a button that rattles when the V8 is on full chat 🙄. This has been rectified with a piece of foam. 

Wow !!  GSF...     Even when I owned a GS450h Premier  which I loved and was my first taste of Lexus hybrids I would have just loved to own a GSF  or even a ISF  just because of that remarkable normally aspirated V8.   

The LS460 SE-L I owned  had a more subtle 4.6 litre  V8 by comparison and not designed to be a tarmac tearing monster.  I note how the ISF is very popular in the USA given the demise of the GSF I think and haven't seen a bad review of how it performs.   Interesting  how the values of used GSF and ISF cars in this country are always strong.  No wonder the Toyota GR Yaris has become an icon already and a future classic because when Toyota decide  to design a rocket ship they create something enthusiasts recognise immediately.    

• Like 1

The only issue that prevented me buying a Lexus Nextbase model was the lack of a visual screen although I believe there is a red camera on light that flashes to let you know it is recording.   The screen on my Nextbase 512GW was an immediate clue to the camera's Battery playing up with video images freezing and the recording light not flashing, otherwise I would have been oblivious to it going wrong.  Having front and rear images in the camera is a quick reference that all is working.  However not had my call yet from the Engineers at Nextbase to discuss the problem I had with my original camera, back logs I'm told.   

• 2 weeks later...

Had theLexus  nextbase  front and rear camera fitted and had same problem when trying to view the  video files  the camera power shut down. Solution was the parking mode was active. 
this has to be disabled first then camera will stay on if unit  has been hard wired to power when hybrid system / accessory is on.

view files then re establish  parking mode. Bit Of a faff but it  sorted the issue out.

Parking mode function is  buried deep in the operating instructions 

Lot to be said for default settings that Nextbase have on their cameras.  I got my repaired camera back last week all for the princely sum of £31.20 incl vat and they paid the postage after they diagnosed a failed internal Battery.   Great value I think.   Although I use hard wire kits for both our cars the cameras obviously have to have some form of internal power source when you want to view files etc and alter the settings to suit your requirements from their factory settings.  I noted that the factory settings are designed to draw as kittle as possible from the internal Battery but when you start increasing the settings options it can increase the Battery usage.

All credit again to Nextbase for their out of warranty service which is fast and reliable e.g their e mail to say the camera was repaired and should be with me between 2-4 days, in fact it arrived the next day and worked straight away.

Hi all, first post in the ES forum. We're picking ours up later this week and weighing up camera options. We sold our Astra last night which had a Nextbase 522GW (+Rear) hardwired in, so ideally this would be the route to go down again, although I am tempted by the 622GW for crisper footage. It is obviously no substitute for a proper camera, but we are planning on travelling round the West coast of Ireland in June and then down into Bavaria, Switzerland and Austria for a couple of weeks in September.

One of the things I have came across is on the Halfords website they state they currently cannot fit to any Hybrid/Electric vehicles. I'm assuming this is a liability thing from their part? Nextbase have said it will be absolutely fine when I emailed them yesterday.  

The prices I am seeing through their website look roughly on par with what Eastern Western are charging for the Lexus Nextbase system. The only mild grumble I found with the 522GW over 3 years was the 3M sticky pad eventually gave up the ghost, so our car alarm was set off a couple of times recently before we realised that was the cause. However, kudos to Nextbase as their replacement cost peanuts and was delivered within a couple of days of ordering. 

The parking mode on it is pretty decent as well, even when the car was sat for months during the lockdowns it never once flattened the Battery. It has also caught a couple of cretins in the past trying car doors when I've been parked at the football.

16 minutes ago, Marko89 said:

One of the things I have came across is on the Halfords website they state they currently cannot fit to any Hybrid/Electric vehicles. I'm assuming this is a liability thing from their part? Nextbase have said it will be absolutely fine when I emailed them yesterday.  

Very strange, what is different about Hybrid cars?

They also state this:

Due to safety reasons, we are currently only able to carry out interior car fitting on vehicles that have an Air Re-circulation System. This includes air conditioning systems, heaters or air vents. If you are unsure whether your vehicle meets this criteria, please speak to one of our experts.

35 minutes ago, Marko89 said:

I wouldn't let Halfords fit a teabag in a cup, let alone have them do anything on my pride and joy.

21 minutes ago, Moleman said:

Very strange, what is different about Hybrid cars?

Absolutely nothing whatsoever in the context of fitting a dashcam. Probably that they have no internal training course specific to hybrids so they think it's witchcraft.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I wouldn't let Halfords fit a teabag in a cup, let alone have them do anything on my pride and joy.

Absolutely nothing whatsoever in the context of fitting a dashcam. Probably that they have no internal training course specific to hybrids so they think it's witchcraft.

Possibly because they don't want their techs sticking their fingers across the high voltage points associated with hybrids. Just a thought but I may well be way off beam.

I agree with Herbie,  the hard wire kits are standard for all installations and the footwell fuse box in any Lexus allows for the feed to be piggy backed of any ignition live fuse of suitable amperage. Instructions are idiot proof and Nextbase for example have a superb tech support over the phone.  There is a post from someone who fitted the 622GW but he said it was a little troublesome at times.  More tech I imagine .    512GW and the 522GW  seem a sound bet for simple settings.     Wouldn't be without a pair of cameras in any car I own.   Even sent some footage to 2 companies whose van drivers were driving in an outrageous and dangerous manner nearly causing 2 high speed crashes on the A1 and A64. 

I think Brian that Nextbase assume the power feed will be picked up from the footwell or under dash fuse boxes dependent on model but your point about garages  digging around the bigger fuse boxes under the bonnet of Lexus cars would be worrying.    Imagine if you saw a scotch lock crimped into one of the orange Battery cables under the bonnet after your camera was fitted !!!!!!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SH20 said:

I think Brian that Nextbase assume the power feed will be picked up from the footwell or under dash fuse boxes dependent on model but your point about garages  digging around the bigger fuse boxes under the bonnet of Lexus cars would be worrying.    Imagine if you saw a scotch lock crimped into one of the orange battery cables under the bonnet after your camera was fitted !!!!!!!

Could indeed be scary stuff 😂 but let's not rule it out as a possibility.

• 1 month later...

I used Halfords for my last car (Honda Civic)and they did a quick and neat job with a good explanation. However having spent about twice as much on the ES it seemed penny pinching not to leave it to the Lexus dealer. My main concern that if a rattle appeared subsequently, who would sort out the problem? Well worth £50 to avoid the possible hastle.

27 minutes ago, DTR said:

I used Halfords for my last car (Honda Civic)and they did a quick and neat job with a good explanation. However having spent about twice as much on the ES it seemed penny pinching not to leave it to the Lexus dealer. My main concern that if a rattle appeared subsequently, who would sort out the problem? Well worth £50 to avoid the possible hastle.

£50? What's that for Dave? Just had a lexus 380GW retro fitted and called Tesco insurance to tell them who confirmed it's a modification but doesn't affect insurance costs 

To be honest, I didn’t have a clue what the difference in price between Halfords and Lexus would be. It was just a guess as to their cost differences. Of late, I seem to spend a lot of time sorting out wrong deliveries, problems with stuff going wrong etc. We love the car, but are very sensitive to noises.  I bought the Civic  Model 10when it first came out. On the first journey home, I noticed a high pitched whistle from the AC. Drove me mad. Honda said it was “characteristic”. Took months before they accepted it was a problem and issued a cure to dealers. Customers were not informed automatically. Turned out to be a resonance in some connecting pipe work which was eventually replaced. Didn’t leave a nice taste and was one of the reasons I turned to Lexus after many Hondas.

Couldn’t face being stuck in an argument between Halfords and Lexus

On 4/5/2022 at 11:09 AM, SH20 said:

Wouldn't be without a pair of cameras in any car I own.   Even sent some footage to 2 companies whose van drivers were driving in an outrageous and dangerous manner nearly causing 2 high speed crashes on the A1 and A64. 

Excellent, Steve.  I’ve done much the same myself.  Dashcams are not just for providing evidence to support a claim.  By identifying dangerous drivers, they also help to prevent future accidents.

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen, I am also now considering getting a dash cam.

I think I will probably get it done at a dealership. The closest ones to me are Twickenham, Reading and Ealing.

Anyone used them before for dash cam install ? Any recommendations ?

Thanks,

--E

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links