Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi folks! Some rc-f questions…

Soooo I bought a house and am now looking to get another car. Some questions for the rc-f owners. 

I am looking for a weekend car that can hold the 3 of us when needed BUT can be great for weekend driving, European road trips and maybe the occasional track day. 

1. Has anyone taken theirs on track? If so how well did it perform as reviews are not too favourable? 

2. What options are a must? Is the torque vectoring rear diff essential?

3. Any issues with them?

Stu

I drove one round the Ascari race track in Malaga as part of the RC-F promotion, but i am not a race car driver, and spent most of the time checking my mirror's and indicating . lol

however when Isolde Holderield and Alexander Wurz were driving, the car spent most off the time sidewase.

only had mine 2.5 years, the only issue i had was condensation in both headlight, which were replaced under warranty.

35 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

Soooo I bought a house and am now looking to get another car. Some questions for the rc-f owners. 

I am looking for a weekend car that can hold the 3 of us when needed BUT can be great for weekend driving, European road trips and maybe the occasional track day. 

1. Has anyone taken theirs on track? If so how well did it perform as reviews are not too favourable? 

2. What options are a must? Is the torque vectoring rear diff essential?

3. Any issues with them?

Stu

The answer to question 1 is that the RCf is not a track-day car. But if you would like to drive it really fast and not on public roads that's the way to go although insurance can be high.

It's a Lexus so it won't go wrong and if it does Lexus will probably replace it soTVD is personal choice I like it myself

most RCF's seem to go on for ages with no issues.

Yeah that’s why I was thinking occasional track use. It would primarily be a weekend toy car. They don’t seem to be as impacted by the used car market as other cars. M2 comps for example are 5-7k more than they were expected to be at this age and stage.

Ultimately I am trying to weigh up the rcf with a M2/comp. The M2 will have better dynamic drivability but is common and not as good looking or sounding as the rcf. Also, the rcf has a far nicer interior and the car will only see a track 2 times in my ownership I imagine. 

Have you test drove both yet?
M2 will be better if your tracking it more, but you also wont feel disappointed while at the odd track day in an F.  And 2 track times in ownership isnt a lot. 

As Chris Harris says when comparing the GSF vs the M5 Comp, The F car for normal british roads lets you put down more power, and feels much better to drive.  Granted the GSF and RCF are different cars as are the M5 and M2, but they both hold many similarities, that may be a review worth watching as its a comparitive review video of two cars similar to the ones you are contemplating, may give you some insight. 

10 hours ago, Stuno1 said:

Ultimately I am trying to weigh up the rcf with a M2/comp. The M2 will have better dynamic drivability but is common and not as good looking or sounding as the rcf. Also, the rcf has a far nicer interior and the car will only see a track 2 times in my ownership I imagine. 

I think the M2 would have more appeal if you were to want to track your future car on a regular basis.

Here's my take on it (I did have one of the first M5's to hit the UK back in the mid 80's) having sold my CL65 AMG I was looking for my next car I tried a special factory order V8 M3 it had a print out for the factory test on the engine and had a spec sheet that ran into four pages. The first thing that struck me was how the car seemed to 'shrink fit' around you, it loved to be revved and was so precise it flew. But after about 15 minutes into to test drive I had this sort of nagging feeling the car just wanted to be driven like that all the time and I couldn't relax driving it (maybe just me)

When I test drove the two RCF's (one with AVS one without) my thoughts were this is a more civilised car that can do the quick stuff too but not quite as well.

And that I think is where my opinion of the RCF sits still to this day.

For the record I recently sold my huge vintage Fender guitar collection and was in the position to try and buy a McLaren 720s I loved everything about the car I tried and on my drive home my thoughts about the RCF was that is was a heap of s**t and I should sell it. A few days of careful thought afterwards made me decide not to buy a McLaren and keep the trusty old RCF for the time being.

That’s really useful. In all honesty i was leaning towards the rcf until I measured my garage! We have a tumble dryer and fridge freezer at the end and rcf is slightly too long! 

The 720 is a serious weapon! As you say though completely different level of car to the rcf. 

I think for the driving I intend to do the M2 will be a better fit. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2021 at 9:10 AM, B1RMA said:

I think the M2 would have more appeal if you were to want to track your future car on a regular basis.

Here's my take on it (I did have one of the first M5's to hit the UK back in the mid 80's) having sold my CL65 AMG I was looking for my next car I tried a special factory order V8 M3 it had a print out for the factory test on the engine and had a spec sheet that ran into four pages. The first thing that struck me was how the car seemed to 'shrink fit' around you, it loved to be revved and was so precise it flew. But after about 15 minutes into to test drive I had this sort of nagging feeling the car just wanted to be driven like that all the time and I couldn't relax driving it (maybe just me)

When I test drove the two RCF's (one with AVS one without) my thoughts were this is a more civilised car that can do the quick stuff too but not quite as well.

And that I think is where my opinion of the RCF sits still to this day.

For the record I recently sold my huge vintage Fender guitar collection and was in the position to try and buy a McLaren 720s I loved everything about the car I tried and on my drive home my thoughts about the RCF was that is was a heap of s**t and I should sell it. A few days of careful thought afterwards made me decide not to buy a McLaren and keep the trusty old RCF for the time being.

Lol David, I told u there’s something about an F compared to an M or AMG, got to be one of your longest cars to date?

you need to be less hasty when the idea of parting out comes to mind 😉

On 10/14/2021 at 9:23 AM, Stuno1 said:

That’s really useful. In all honesty i was leaning towards the rcf until I measured my garage! We have a tumble dryer and fridge freezer at the end and rcf is slightly too long! 

The 720 is a serious weapon! As you say though completely different level of car to the rcf. 

I think for the driving I intend to do the M2 will be a better fit. 

I’d knock the back of the garage out, or cheaper still get a clothes horse 😉

13 hours ago, Womble72 said:

Lol David, I told u there’s something about an F compared to an M or AMG, got to be one of your longest cars to date?

you need to be less hasty when the idea of parting out comes to mind 😉

Yes the RCf is an all time record in the length of ownership for me. I still really like the car and the McLaren moment was an Epiphany for me in so many ways, plus having just done the MOT I realise I'm only averaging 1000 miles between MOT's so despite my efforts my Mini clocks up the mileage more.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, B1RMA said:

Yes the RCf is an all time record in the length of ownership for me. I still really like the car and the McLaren moment was an Epiphany for me in so many ways, plus having just done the MOT I realise I'm only averaging 1000 miles between MOT's so despite my efforts my Mini clocks up the mileage more.

Ive done nearly 13k in mine since my last mot 7mths ago… smiles per mile and im positively grinning 👍🏻

11 hours ago, mr2lad said:

Ive done nearly 13k in mine since my last mot 7mths ago… smiles per mile and im positively grinning 👍🏻

Wow, I really must try harder, my car has averaged 2500 miles per annum since new.

12 hours ago, stag74 said:

It's funny how people use their cars. 

I'm looking at a RCF as a daily so +10k a year. 

I just wouldn't consider one as a weekend car. 

I daily mine…dont see the point of having one of these cars just to potter about in on weekends….. Ive done 42k in mine in 2 1/2yrs, …. It’s not my only car but dont see the sense on not using it to save putting mileage on it to get that little bit extra when selling it… akin to having a virgin girlfriend and never having s*x with her  so next bloke gets the best out of her 😂 

• Haha 3

Mine's my daily too, that's kind of the whole idea of the RCF (to me) is that it does double-duty as a comfortable daily and fun car. Though I don't do many miles probably well under 5k per year at the moment.

Mine isn't really a weekend car, it's just one of my vehicles that doesn't seem to do many miles. Having said that I always avoid taking it to the supermarket wherever possible as from past experience we now have what we call our shopping car.

The fact that nowadays my current car just doesn't do the sort of long journeys my car did on behalf of my business, the fact that this change in my business travelling occurred just after I bought the RCF is something I've pondered on for a while. But I bought it out of my own cash so mileage claiming against the business is now pointless.

Good replies and it’s a shame it doesn’t fit in my garage at the moment. I have gone full circle with my search and landed back looking at a boxster 981 s where the search began! 

The m2 just wouldn’t feel special even if it drives as well as all the reviews state. This is a mainly a weekend toy car and while I will use a 2 seater less it will be more fun when I do. 

like the rc-f the porker will feel and look special. 

31 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

Good replies and it’s a shame it doesn’t fit in my garage at the moment. I have gone full circle with my search and landed back looking at a boxster 981 s where the search began! 

The m2 just wouldn’t feel special even if it drives as well as all the reviews state. This is a mainly a weekend toy car and while I will use a 2 seater less it will be more fun when I do. 

like the rc-f the porker will feel and look special. 

The Boxster is a really good choice, I really enjoyed mine and as far as I have been able to conclude to date it's the best road car that can do track days well so can do both in a way other cars just can't. Mine was an over the top spec with PASM and Carbon Ceramic brakes, sport exhaust but I really enjoyed it and have thought about buying another one on quite a few occasions. Did try a 911 Turbo S soft-top but preferred the Boxster which was funny because most people's thoughts were opposite that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

The Boxster is a really good choice, I really enjoyed mine and as far as I have been able to conclude to date it's the best road car that can do track days well so can do both in a way other cars just can't. Mine was an over the top spec with PASM and Carbon Ceramic brakes, sport exhaust but I really enjoyed it and have thought about buying another one on quite a few occasions. Did try a 911 Turbo S soft-top but preferred the Boxster which was funny because most people's thoughts were opposite that.

Interesting! I am searching for a fairly high spec but not carbon ceramics. They must be rare on a boxster! I will be using it as you say, some track days, road trips and weekend drives. 

I wasn’t a fan of the pre 981 looks but really love the more beefy styling of the 981 onwards. Also performance wise it’s more than fast enough! Just over 4 to 60 and 170ish too speed. Those figures are similar to my old lotus Evora which was more than enough. 

I do really find myself drawn to the styling. Also if I buy well there will be little to no need to modify it. Maybe a tune to increase torque slightly and grills to protect the radiators. 

What car do you think you will be moving to?

The carbon ceramics are good on a light road car, but you risk destroying them on a track day if you run off into the kitty litter on the track edge. But I could brake later and harder than any car I'd taken on track. I have also boiled the brakes on every track day car I've owned except the Boxster, no fade nothing. Although the hardened track day guys I met with very expensive 911's swopped the ceramics for metal discs so that tells you something.

The flat six cylinder engine on the later ones (no bore scoring) like the RCF loves to be revved.

I notice you owned a Lotus, I've had a Lotus in one form or another since 1973 when my dad bought me the Roman Purple Europa like the one they had on display at the Motor Show in Earls Court way back in the dark ages.

I have been very critical of Lotus build quality since owning them and concluded that all Lotus cars are only a nano hair from a kit car, even the very late/last of the line V8 Esprit I owned had bits falling off it. After a good thrash you would hear something rattling or making a funny noise that you thought was going to be expensive. Something the Boxster will not do, I did upset a few Lotus fan boys on their forum when I stated this but hey ho.

I really haven't a clue what to buy next if I'm honest but I like the look of the new Corvette C8 and the new Lotus Emira. I have learnt the lesson of buying a new model of a car so I'll bide my time and wait and see of either are a bad choice or not.

It’s the reason you stated and the cost of change that I am not so keen on! Also, all people that have had them state for road driving when and not pressing on they take a lot of time to be effective and squeal. 

I can’t disagree about lotus build. Mine was a 2013 Evora and switch gear was very poor for the price. Also the cabin construction was average at best with issues of creaking etc. infotainment was a standard alpine unit etc. 

That being said it was amazing to drive and looked superb. It got an awful lot of positive attention. 

The hope is the emira will really move the brand on in build quality. 

The europa is a really cool looking car! 

The 981 boxster s ticks a lot of boxes. Since buying our first home 2 years ago I am not working my way up the car ladder again! I would love the GTS but funds don’t allow. 

Just my experience about CC brakes, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another low mileage, light car equipped with them, I would never specify them as an extra on a new car, far too expensive. I firmly believe they will last in excess of 100,000 miles on a light car before they need replacing, I did look into the subject in some depth (for me that is)

Never had any squeal with them as I believe later discs were a lot better than the older designs. I did have a big brown trouser moment with them though. I live on a  hill, after washing my car I took it out for a drive, near the bottom of the road I pressed the brake pedal and nothing much happened, I was about a foot over the road marking line before I stopped completely. I learned that lesson very quickly and always applied light braking force after washing the car. Apart from that one incident I loved them, plus absolutely no brake dust ever appears to ruin the look of your wheels.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mr2lad said:

I daily mine…dont see the point of having one of these cars just to potter about in on weekends….. Ive done 42k in mine in 2 1/2yrs, …. It’s not my only car but dont see the sense on not using it to save putting mileage on it to get that little bit extra when selling it… akin to having a virgin girlfriend and never having s*x with her  so next bloke gets the best out of her 😂 

Lol, the girlfriend bit did make me laugh, I’ve an ex wife n I definitely had the better years 😂……as for F, like u not my only car BUT I’ve two dogs n don’t like them in it, in fact they don’t actually like the car, same for the wife tbh, I’ve a daily for work, dogs, supermarket etc etc, the F doesn’t get used as much as I’d like BUT after 7 years of ownership the only beneficiaries will be my kids, I purchased as my forever car and to date there isn’t anything I like enough to even contemplate selling for…….hopefully when the 2011 suspension set up is on the wife may appreciate it more (although she hates the exhaust) 😂🤣

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Thanks for all the help. I ended up buying a Porsche 981 cayman s and it’s a belter of a car. You wouldn’t believe it’s the same age as my Evora. Gratuitous pic below.

[url=https://postimg.cc/bsLt5PPC][img]https://i.postimg.cc/W1cwhpHv/DBC9-E0-FE-74-D4-4351-B2-F9-1947-FA3-BA01-A.jpg[/img][/url]

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links