Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Side door dings

RiverFred

Anyone have a solution from keeping adjacent car doors from dinging your aluminum doors? I purchased small orange cones (6" high) that will be placed on the parking surface by my side door as a warning. I also thought of hanging from the window to the side door a strip of molding with felt backing, I gave up on this idea as it does not seem practical. 

I fear you are on a hiding to nothing. The only part way successful solution that works for me is to be very selective in whatever car parking spaces I occupy and parking as far away as possible from any would be threat. Rather fortunately, my LC is not a daily driver, and when the need arises we/I use a Honda Jazz as a sacrificial substitute. Got to also say, the width of the LC only serves to exasperate the problem, it just doesn't suit the ridiculously small UK parking spaces and hence the problem in the first place!

• Like 1

I pretty much agree with Brian R in that you have to choose your parking space carefully. However, I find that the width of the LC and the very long doors mean that you have to park at the end of a row or similar to be able to get in and out anyway. It is very easy to touch the outside edge of the doors on walls etc unless you are very careful.

• Like 1

I know the anxiety of returning to my car in a parking bay anticipating has someone been careless when getting out of there adjacent car, and my F is narrower than an LC !!!, I too park in a less populated part of car park (benefit of which means I can gaze upon the car upon my return walk to it 👍) Bluewater is ideal lots of space....or when going asda take my 23yr old vw golf which being that old fits in our ever increasingly diminishing width parking spaces with room to spare....

• Like 1

I am very careful where I park my car when using multi-storey car parks; supermarket car parks; etc. but as a last resort I use the following product which gives me a bit more peace of mind when parking up and walking away:-

https://doordefender.net/

They are very quick and simple to place on the car and don't take up too much room in the boot. They attach with magnets so probably best to test that the door is magnetic before considering buying a pair.

5 minutes ago, Andy B said:

I am very careful where I park my car when using multi-storey car parks; supermarket car parks; etc. but as a last resort I use the following product which gives me a bit more peace of mind when parking up and walking away:-

https://doordefender.net/

They are very quick and simple to place on the car and don't take up too much room in the boot. They attach with magnets so probably best to test that the door is magnetic before considering buying a pair.

I see that they also do a "suction cup" add-on - which would be an alternative if the magnetic version isn't suitable.

https://doordefender.net/door-defender-suction/

I wouldn't advocate this necessity BUT I personally rarely suffer from other car doors etc dinging mine as I often, mostly park in usefully wide parking spaces allocated to me ...  well, I have a Blue Badge ....  one of the few benefits ......  but I would happily change that for not having one of course and taking my chances with other irreverent car parkers ......  oh, and it's those sodding supermarket trolleys too that do much of the " dinging "  methinks ...  and it's the people driving them that's the issue, their cars too

Really, the answer is de-stress and don't worry about those dings, maybe only use an older car ( as mentioned above )  that one's not " possessive " about, to go shopping etc and to take the brunt of the dings and knocks etc

Malc

Most people are lazy, so park as far away from wherever the doors are to your chosen emporium and look upon the longish walk as exercise. This often works, but then there is the old weird thing that regardless of the lots of empty spaces available, someone still parks next to you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Similar situation with my LS430 being wide and long, I try and park in a double length bay but still have to take a good metre of the one behind me. Thinking no one would get another car in the remaining bay behind me I came out to find a Smart car there!

After struggling somewhat to open my boot I was so annoyed I threw the Smart car in there and drove off with it. 😀

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links