Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Future for Hydrogen cars not looking so promising

yeh but with BP setting up its new Hydrogen Plant in the North of England to then fit all it's petrol stations ( and others ) with suitable pumps methinks the autocar piece ain't quite right :unsure:

Malc

Cynically, I'd say it's because Autocar's paymasters in Wolfsburg and Ingolstadt aren't pursuing it, so time to rubbish it...

But yes, may be BP have been listening to JCB about its suitability for heavier vehicles?

12 minutes ago, gdh300 said:

Cynically, I'd say it's because Autocar's paymasters in Wolfsburg and Ingolstadt aren't pursuing it, so time to rubbish it...

But yes, may be BP have been listening to JCB about its suitability for heavier vehicles?

I`d have to agree with the cynic in you Glyn.

Long-Term though with the contest being between the most common and inexaustible element in the Universe (Hydrogen )v Electricity it`s not really a contest is it ?  A great pity then that we will not be around to collect our winnings.🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gdh300 said:

Interesting that Autocar says: "In 2020, Mercedes-Benz stopped its long-running F-Cell programme, due to high costs and an inability to lower them."

But this "sustainability" website says Daimler (Mercedes) is working on fuel cell trucks in a collaboration with BP, which is planning a 1GW hydrogen plant in Teesside. It says Daimler intends its trucks to use the refuelling infrastructure that BP is planning and aims to begin delivery of trucks to UK customers from 2025.

I don't doubt that they may have difficulties reaching their targets but on the face of it the report that Mercedes (by implicaton Daimler-Benz) has given up on fuel cells doesn't seem quite right.

And BP has recently announced plans for a second Teesside hydrogen plant. Even if most of this hydrogen is fed into the natural gas network for home heating, it would be a step towards there being widely available hydrogen, which eventually could be used in trucks or maybe even cars.

Hydrogen fuel cells seem to me to be the most sensible option for the future of motoring, provided we can solve the problem of how to produce ‘green’ hydrogen, rather than burning fossil fuels to manufacture hydrogen. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links