Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just purchased an is 250C

Last week I sold my is 300H for a little more than I paid for it 18 months ago. It was a good, comfortable, reliable car but - prior to buying it - I had always had convertibles & wanted to go back to that means of transport. After searching for some months I eventually found a suitable low mileage example 'oop North,' some 250 miles away. Got the train up & stayed in the local Wetherspoons overnight before driving back to Devon the next day. Had a lovely drive back - pretty well motorway all the way (M1, M42, M5) & very quiet, being early Saturday morning.

The only problem I had was that the TPMS warning light came on so stopped at the first service station & checked all tyre pressures - all correct. After checking the handbook, it would appear that the TPMS system is at fault (faulty sensor?) so it's going into the garage this week for sorting under warranty.

My car is 2010 registered with 30k on the clock. Photo attached. Looking forward to Spring/Summer!

Lexus is250C Cropped..jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Lovely car John.   Enjoy.

Your TPMS problem may be the Battery failing in one of the sensors.

Their lifespan is generally around 10-12 years.

It is possible to fit new batteries to the sensors, but fiddley. Otherwise it requires a new sensor.

Dec.

• Like 1

Hi John great choice ,I have had mine for 7 years and I am not going to sell it any time soon . You have done well getting such a low mileage car that will run for many years and I like the light upholstery ,mine is back inside and a bit dark with the hood up . I have run convertibles for years as I did ride motorcycles as a preference.§ These cars are really cruisers and relish long runs ,I will be interested in how you get on with the TPMS as this is one thing I'm sure I will encounter soon and I don't do Lexus dealers

Enjoy Dave

• Like 1

Funny times... I have sold my RC for more than I bought it 2 years ago as well... and likewise I was considering getting IS250C at some point. 

I is is kind of sad Lexus didn't provide much of alternative in current range, them meant to make RC convertible, but it never materialised and going all the way to LC convertible is another league. Either way IS250C seems like they still going strong, keeps values, looks modern - nice choice.

As for TMPS - I am not sure it is faulty just yet. maybe previous owners set them on lower or higher pressure and whilst car was sitting pressure changed e.g. that happens when you set it in summer and winter comes. So my first step would be to inflate tyres to desirable (and preferably correct) pressure and just reset TPMS (there should be button under steering column. 

Hi Linas,

According to the handbook, after turning on the ignition, if there is a fault with the TPMS the warning light will flash for about 1 minute before remaining on permanently. That is what is happening with my system so I assume that there is not a tyre pressure problem. My local garage tells me that it is either a sensor problem or a sensor Battery problem. Either way, I'll let them sort it as it is under warranty for 6 months but thanks for your input.

Thanks for your comments Dave. I certainly found on my drive back home what an effortless cruiser it is. If the onboard computer is to be believed, I achieved 35.1 mpg over the 250  mile trip, pretty well all motorway.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ullager said:

If the onboard computer is to be believed, I achieved 35.1 mpg over the 250  mile trip, pretty well all motorway.

Sounds very realistic indeed and these cars were not as optimistic with MPG as later models. 

Just now, Linas.P said:

Sounds very realistic indeed and these cars were not as optimistic with MPG as later models. 

Mine is showing at 20.9 average MPG but it’s 99% local travel, perhaps get a better figure on the trip to Silverstone in April.

Hi John, I have done many long distance holidays in this car over the years ,and on runs touring on the continent I can regularly achieve 40 mpg calculated on main roads cruising at an indicated 80 mph on cruise . ,no need to stop for the toll booth as I have a tag , I'm sure you will enjoy your car the more you use it 

Dave

5 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Blimey that was a sleeper with just 30,000 miles nice find.

Looking at your travel distance must have been up my way in the Notts, Derby’s or S Yorkshire area?

Hi Steve,

Chesterfield (with the crooked spire). Spent the night at The Portland Hotel (Wetherspoons) in the centre of town. Can thoroughly recommend it - very comfortable room & very modern & soundproofed from all that was going on in the huge bar/restaurant downstairs. I did more miles driving back to Devon than the car had done in the last 3 years!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Blimey that was a sleeper with just 30,000 miles nice find.

Looking at your travel distance must have been up my way in the Notts, Derby’s or S Yorkshire area?

Steve,

The establishment from which I bought my 250 also had a beautiful SC430 for sale - 50k on the clock but the asking price was £22k! Photo attached.

614080357_LexusSC430.thumb.jpeg.5d2cf6c5695771fb437ac1d6c14181ac.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ullager said:

Hi Steve,

Chesterfield (with the crooked spire). Spent the night at The Portland Hotel (Wetherspoons) in the centre of town. Can thoroughly recommend it - very comfortable room & very modern & soundproofed from all that was going on in the huge bar/restaurant downstairs. I did more miles driving back to Devon than the car had done in the last 3 years!

Just 12 miles from me then, I know the Portland at the far end of the market area but not been in there since a pint and burger was £2.99.

Nice looking SC430 but pricey!

Congratulations John, I hope you enjoy your new car as much as enjoy mine.

Yours is exactly the same spec as mine, but with significantly less miles! Great car, great choice.

On 2/14/2022 at 8:44 PM, Ullager said:

Last week I sold my is 300H for a little more than I paid for it 18 months ago. It was a good, comfortable, reliable car but - prior to buying it - I had always had convertibles & wanted to go back to that means of transport. After searching for some months I eventually found a suitable low mileage example 'oop North,' some 250 miles away. Got the train up & stayed in the local Wetherspoons overnight before driving back to Devon the next day. Had a lovely drive back - pretty well motorway all the way (M1, M42, M5) & very quiet, being early Saturday morning.

The only problem I had was that the TPMS warning light came on so stopped at the first service station & checked all tyre pressures - all correct. After checking the handbook, it would appear that the TPMS system is at fault (faulty sensor?) so it's going into the garage this week for sorting under warranty.

My car is 2010 registered with 30k on the clock. Photo attached. Looking forward to Spring/Summer!

@Ullager good buy! 
out of interest, what made you choose this over sc430. I know there are some at similar price range or were you always looking at is250c? 

barry

3 minutes ago, Cactus said:

@Ullager good buy! 
out of interest, what made you choose this over sc430. I know there are some at similar price range or were you always looking at is250c? 

barry

Hi Barry,

I had been looking for a IS250C for sometime. I nearly purchased an example in Hull 6 months ago with only 19k on the clock - & then I saw the interior - black & red seats! It looked like - what I can only imagine - a tart's boudoir.😱. I think it was a limited edition model when it was coming to the end of production. Another came up in North London with 24k but I didn't like the dealer's attitude  so I pulled out. Besides, it had the same colours.......may even have been the same car as the one from Hull. There is (was) another on sale at Lexus Milton Keynes at £16k with 24k on the clock which was tempting but my wife vetoed the colour - light maroon with beige interior.

An SC430 was tempting but it is a thirsty beast as well as incurring £600 road tax every year. The one I saw in Chesterfield looked beautiful but was on sale at £23k. The garage reckoned they could probably get more for it in the Spring!

Looking forward to some open air motoring again (but not this week - Dudley & Eunice on the way).😫😫

@Ullager i see. Sc430 is a thirsty beast indeed. I think the pre 2006 model is in the same tax cost as the the sc430.

still two minds. Seem to struggle to find one with good service history and reasonably priced.

can @Linas.Pshed some light since you considered is250c too as opposed to sc430 😬

barry

• Like 1

I have considered IS250C, SC430 and SL500, but they all are kind of ~£10k nowadays. Not much to shed... I decided against them because the price was not right for me - kind of crazy market right now. 

Overall, I sold RC for £19k ... and £10k was just not my definition of "cheaper" so ended-up not buying any of them.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
On 2/16/2022 at 5:24 PM, Cactus said:

@Ullager i see. Sc430 is a thirsty beast indeed. I think the pre 2006 model is in the same tax cost as the the sc430.

still two minds. Seem to struggle to find one with good service history and reasonably priced.

can @Linas.Pshed some light since you considered is250c too as opposed to sc430 😬

barry

You are right, I have a 2004 SC 430 and its in the £360 tax bracket 🙂

On 2/14/2022 at 8:44 PM, Ullager said:

Gorgeous car! I have admired the IS convertible for years! I am still to see one in a spec I would go for. I have a blue with ecru SC 430 and a younger IS C might do the trick.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links