Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fold mirrors when locking after market option

Thank you for the seller feedback update and sharing the details on your process changing the wires Amir.

See below, I found a pair of tweezers works well to lift the white holding tabs, then slide the wire out the back. For plug number 1, I also recommend lifting the tabs as you reinsert the wires/pins too. I found the cleanest and quickest way is to completely remove the two wires shown and simply swap them.

If you fancy being double safe, maybe send the last two images to the seller asking them to confirm the revised wire locations are correct.

Did the seller provide any details on moving the white wire for the ACC+(on), so mirrors don’t fold whilst driving (as I would prefer to leave low speed/stop auto-locking on if I can)? In any case I have Shada’s detail on the thin grey wire I can go with if seller doesn’t know. Let me know, and after that will attempt to install.

Many Thanks

9BF6518A-ECC9-4E2E-B850-80386369A071.jpeg

EE352D89-6187-45B5-A631-E10BBAD41642.jpeg

16B7E86B-B61A-4846-B404-F37F11A060C1.jpeg

5308B0ED-0786-4170-A23D-303EFDE26A9E.jpeg

D0227C8F-F414-4748-8326-833A34A209AA.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Shada, spot on about the grey wire for ACC+. It aligned with the white wire which is also ACC ON (+) per the instruction sheet that ships with the product. No modification required on this wire location in the end (at least in regards to the version of the wire I got shipped). No folding when driving, even with auto-lock on.

When I get 5mins will do a full + detailed write up, so anyone else can do these straight away in future.

It also makes sense in regards to moving of the pink wire next to the orange. On the original Lexus plug in the vehicle, they then align with the thicker red and blue wires, which are clearly the lock and unlock wires.

cable works great, was worth the wait.

DBF2EE16-C018-408A-A4A0-CD51893188D3.jpeg

7BA13AE6-9628-4E7E-AE23-403CFBF67C72.jpeg

57ED8C74-A402-4551-BA65-35FBE902EBDD.jpeg2F8C1182-4D90-4DDD-8088-9248075BC63B.jpeg

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Maxz said:

Shada, spot on about the grey wire for ACC+. It aligned with the white wire which is also ACC ON (+) per the instruction sheet that ships with the product. No modification required on this wire location in the end (at least in regards to the version of the wire I got shipped). No folding when driving, even with auto-lock on.

When I get 5mins will do a full + detailed write up, so anyone else can do these straight away in future.

It also makes sense in regards to moving of the pink wire next to the orange. On the original Lexus plug in the vehicle, they then align with the thicker red and blue wires, which are clearly the lock and unlock wires.

cable works great, was worth the wait.

Well done for making this work. It seemed following this that it was such a lot of work.

1 hour ago, Moleman said:

Well done for making this work. It seemed following this that it was such a lot of work.

Yeah a lot of investigation for only needing to switch around two wires in the end! At least future forum members can turn the job around in 30-60mins easily now instead. Switching the wires on the part took 10 mins, fitting to the vehicle only takes 20mins. Easy to follow guide with photos to follow at some point...

On 5/9/2022 at 8:55 AM, Maxz said:

Yeah a lot of investigation for only needing to switch around two wires in the end! At least future forum members can turn the job around in 30-60mins easily now instead. Switching the wires on the part took 10 mins, fitting to the vehicle only takes 20mins. Easy to follow guide with photos to follow at some point...

Interesting read, I manage to read this so after all this you saying only need to swap the 2 wires as per pics so would that solve the mirror folding whilst driving off ? I want to get this modification but don't really want the mirrors to fold in while driving lol, not really fussed about pressing the switch twice for mirrors to fold in itself, I do apologise if already explained somewhere on this post, thanks !

1 hour ago, ghost_killer said:

Interesting read, I manage to read this so after all this you saying only need to swap the 2 wires as per pics so would that solve the mirror folding whilst driving off ? I want to get this modification but don't really want the mirrors to fold in while driving lol, not really fussed about pressing the switch twice for mirrors to fold in itself, I do apologise if already explained somewhere on this post, thanks !

Yup, all I did in the end is switch pink next to orange (for RHD UK car). Just to be clear, you need to move the other end of the conjoined white wire the same number of spaces but I think the photos should hopefully already make it clear. For the pair of plugs shown, another way to describe is swap the wire in position 4 (linked with pink) with the single plug to plug white wire in position 2.

• 1 month later...

So seems at the moment all the hard work was somewhat in vain. My alarm just started firing off at 11pm (Sunday night). I'd noticed for the past week the mirrors had started doing a small "shimmy" as I started the vehicle, when originally they just stayed static (open position). Lucky the cable was quick to remove, even in the dark with a torch. After the initial relock, the alarm still fired off. However, relocking a second time (maybe reset something/ecu), all seems quiet for now. Obviously I could have a tilt sensor, intruder sensor or lock switch malfunction instead but let's see. I will try and run a techstream diagnostic this week and if there are no errors, then will have to assume the cable is at fault e.g. cheap capacitor has blown inside the control box. What a shame! 😫

5 hours ago, John Nooij said:

That doesn't sound good.

I've also installed the device (the original, no wires switched) and haven't had any problems with it so far.

Please, keep us informed.

The other main reason for false alarms is the 12v Battery nearing end of life where the voltage is dropping off. Mine is 7 years old but is regularly topped up on a trickle charger. 

If it doesn't fire off again this week, will run the diag at the weekend when I have time, see if I can differentiate the issue cable vs. other fault.

The good news for now seems to be simply removing the cable has remediated the problem.

Alarm fired off again around 10pm last night, with no cable in place. It's classic voltage drop as the temperature drops on an end of life 12v aux Battery. 7 years old it is due, other forum posts state the same, given these batteries are small vs a standard size lead acid which you can squeeze 10 years out of. Ordered a replacement last night, hopefully arrives by the end of the week and if no more issues, cable can go back in...🤞

Looking promising that the reputation of the cable might not be tarnished after all, ran a techstream health check at lunch and no errors reported. 12v Battery is prime suspect, new one in transit from the nice people at Lexus Parts Direct in Swindon. Once replaced, if no further alarm issues for a week, will reinstall the cable and try and do the promised clean install guide (minus all the back and forth chat on this thread).

2 hours ago, Maxz said:

Looking promising that the reputation of the cable might not be tarnished after all, ran a techstream health check at lunch and no errors reported. 12v battery is prime suspect, new one in transit from the nice people at Lexus Parts Direct in Swindon. Once replaced, if no further alarm issues for a week, will reinstall the cable and try and do the promised clean install guide (minus all the back and forth chat on this thread).

Make sure the Battery change doesn't blow the radio unit, like a few have reported here.

I've had alarm issues at this time of year this year and last. But my 12v Battery is just over 2 years old. I'm convinced there's a fly or a spider inside as it's parked with front windows open an inch through the day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shada said:

I've had alarm issues at this time of year this year and last. But my 12v battery is just over 2 years old. I'm convinced there's a fly or a spider inside as it's parked with front windows open an inch through the day.

You could be right Shada - I started a thread with this exact issue about a year ago: 

No more alarm issues. I also had an intermittent issue with the sound system cutting a speaker in/out before, that glitch is also now gone. Will reinstall the folding mirror cable and not jump to conclusions next time!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just read this collection of post’s because I am so used to mirrors closing upon locking the car , I have just ordered the kit so hopefully the installation will be trouble free and as I double lock the car every time anyway I can’t see a problem with pressing lock twice, one thing I am a bit unsure of is what to do with the white wire although I will just fit as is to start and see how it goes.

Thanks all who have put time into this post to make live easier for others.

Dell

• 2 weeks later...

Well I fitted the kit and two clicks closes the mirrors not checked if when driving off and doors lock to see if mirrors fold yet, going to shop’s tomorrow so will see.

Dell

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 5:46 PM, Dells said:

Well I fitted the kit and two clicks closes the mirrors not checked if when driving off and doors lock to see if mirrors fold yet, going to shop’s tomorrow so will see.

Dell

Do keep us posted. Also was it easy to do? Are the instructions in the box? 

On 8/15/2023 at 5:46 PM, Dells said:

Dell

I have fitted similar p&p kit from well known online portal (folding mirrors on 2nd click) and no issues since installed in 2019 

13 hours ago, Notamech said:

Do keep us posted. Also was it easy to do? Are the instructions in the box? 

Yes relatively easy, the worst part was finding room for the plug near the back of the door , when you plug in to door control panel the mirror folds but don’t worry because when you lock and unlock it resets it , and no instructions in box but a good video on YouTube.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I finally bought and fitted this today. Wasn't too hard. I did not remove the entire door card like in the video. i pulled it enough to be able to pull the wires that go to the lock through and connect it. Everything works as expected i.e mirrors fold after pressing lock twice. But i am facing 2 issues. The 2 connectors that go to the lock are not very well spaced and the socket is quite close to the plug as a result one plastic trim clip on the door card just wont lock no matter what i do because the connection between the factory wiring loom that originally goes to the lock but is now connected to the module gets in the way. How did you guys resolve this? I cant seem to find a space where i can tuck the white plastic connectors that will enable me to successfully close the doorcard with this clip locking to the door. (see picture) 

The other rstrange issue is whenever i open the door it gives me a warning on the dash saying "window open" not sure if this is normal as i dont remember seeing this warning ever. 

20231128_161550.jpg

Ok never mind on the 2nd point. I was just being daft one of the windows was slightly open and i didn't notice. Thats been resolved. Still interested in any feedback people might have on how to make the doorcard fit flush with the door frame. I tried pushing and prodding a bit more and its better now.. Not as bad as in the above pic but it's still not flush if i smack it into place it stays for 2 seconds then pops back out. 

Also another thing i noticed is that if i get out of the car and ther is a long gap between me getting out and hitting the lock button the mirrors dont fold even if i double lock. I have to unlock then double lock for it to fold. 

On 11/28/2023 at 7:50 PM, Notamech said:

Ok never mind on the 2nd point. I was just being daft one of the windows was slightly open and i didn't notice. Thats been resolved. Still interested in any feedback people might have on how to make the doorcard fit flush with the door frame. I tried pushing and prodding a bit more and its better now.. Not as bad as in the above pic but it's still not flush if i smack it into place it stays for 2 seconds then pops back out. 

Also another thing i noticed is that if i get out of the car and ther is a long gap between me getting out and hitting the lock button the mirrors dont fold even if i double lock. I have to unlock then double lock for it to fold. 

Hi Notamech, if you are double clicking to fold, then assume you did not do the wire switch for LH drive (UK). Still works I think but the long gap issue could be related to this. 

I haven't replaced my cable since I had Battery issues (which in the end I think was just the Battery was old not related to this cable) but agree, that plug was a bit fat and it is hard to get the doorcard perfectly flush, shame they didn't make it thinner. You might be able to cut away (Dremel) some of the inside of the doorcard to get it to fit, or if really ambitious rewire the whole thing into a chock-block that is low profile enough to fit nicely.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links