Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX 450h+ electric and petrol range

1 hour ago, Addh said:

A full charge of approx 15kW costs me about £4.20 at 28p/kWh and gives me approx 45 miles

The same distance using petrol would use about 1 gallon - currently about £7.20 (£1.60/litre)

If the cost of electricity doubles or more as predicted it will become cheaper to not charge it at all and use petrol ! So pointless having a plug and painful for people with full electric cars ! 🤔 

That’s exactly the point I was trying to make in this thread, although it was more in relation to prices for public charging en-route

Fortunately I entered in to a 2 year contract last Aug, so still 12 months to go, at 18.4p/kWh so whilst I can’t take advantage of super low overnight rates my cost for a full charge is circa £2.70.

• Like 1

Latest energy price hike has tipped the balance for me in terms of using EV mode in my 450h+. Now cheaper to run on petrol and ICE!  Value of EV's will probably take a hit. 

28 minutes ago, Ken R said:

Latest energy price hike has tipped the balance for me in terms of using EV mode in my 450h+. Now cheaper to run on petrol and ICE!  Value of EV's will probably take a hit. 

I totally agree Ken.

Before I ordered my NX350h Takumi in February I was considering waiting and ordering a RZ450e when they became available. I am so glad that I didn't wait for the RZ450e. I am paying £51k for my NX350h Takumi, the price of the RZ450e Takumi is from £72k. I could not justify paying an extra £21k+ for the car, and then having to pay high electric costs to charge it. In the current fuel cost climate it just doesn't make sense. 

Don't get me wrong, I would love to own a Lexus BEV, I have been an Electronic Engineer for almost 40 years so it would be a dream come true. But with the high purchase costs, high energy costs, and limited range of around 250 miles, I am going to keep my 350h for at least 5 years until I can make the change to a Lexus BEV with the new solid state Battery technology.

Michael.

• Like 3

Misinformation on running cost of  EV's.

A RAC spokesperson commenting on the latest energy price hike maintained that charging at home is still good value compared to paying for petrol or diesel. The car in question was the Kia e-Niro.  I DISAGREE!

The e-Nero will cost £33.80 to charge at the new price cap kWh rate and using manufacturers figures will cover 228 miles (at best!) which equates to c14.8p per mile.

The equivalent hybrid version of this model has MPG listed at 60.1mpg. On a basis of £7.58 per gallon the cost is c12.6p per mile.

How is that good value???

I expect ev sales to at least stall!

On 8/26/2022 at 9:48 AM, Ken R said:

Hi Ken.

Are you saying that you are no longer charging the car and using it in EV mode? Have you reverted to using the 450h+ as purely a hybrid (i.e. similar to the 350h) now? Do you regret getting the PHEV?

Hi Andy

After October I will probably just run it purely as a hybrid as charging from home will be more expensive than running on petrol. Future tariff changes may swing the EV back to being cheaper so I don't regret opting for the 450h+ which is a great car even if its £10k more than the 350h.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ken R said:

Hi Andy

After October I will probably just run it purely as a hybrid as charging from home will be more expensive than running on petrol. Future tariff changes may swing the EV back to being cheaper so I don't regret opting for the 450h+ which is a great car even if its £10k more than the 350h.

Hi Ken

By some miracle I signed up to a 3 year deal with EDF last September at 21p/kwh. At the time, I didn't know whether I was doing the right thing as I was paying 14p with Octopus but that deal was coming to an end. So for once I made the right decision and will continue using the car mostly in EV for the next 2 years which is a lot cheaper than petrol. If only I had done the same with gas. You win some you lose some!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ken R said:

Hi Andy

Thanks for responding Ken. 

It's a pity that you can't use the 450h+ to its full potential after October and for the foreseeable future. Hopefully this won't be too long.  

At least with your NX being a PHEV you can adapt and "pick your poison" (EV or petrol hybrid or both) based on the fluctuations in prices of electricity and petrol. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For me, buying a 450h+ wasn't just about reduced running costs, it was also about operating a greener, cleaner car that was better for the environment. Whilst the increase in electricity prices compared with petrol is therefore disappointing, I hope that it doesn't rise so much that I don't make good use of EV mode.

My driving will change though, I'll let the car do more of its own thing in Auto mode rather than forcing it into EV mode. I guess the software is set up for engine efficiency rather than the most economical cost, since it doesn't ask the price of fuel or electricity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Adams said:

Hi Ken

By some miracle I signed up to a 3 year deal with EDF last September at 21p/kwh. At the time, I didn't know whether I was doing the right thing as I was paying 14p with Octopus but that deal was coming to an end. So for once I made the right decision and will continue using the car mostly in EV for the next 2 years which is a lot cheaper than petrol. If only I had done the same with gas. You win some you lose some!

That 3 year fixed deal definitely sounds a good move in the current climate 👍

I was patting myself on the back for having the luck to enter into a 2 year fixed deal (usually against my better judgement) with Octopus last Aug at 18.1p/kWh, although my gas was also fixed at 3.14p/kWh.
It hurt at the time & I moaned like hell since both represented a 40% increase on my previous fixed rate deal with EDF, but oh how I’m glad that I did now. 

• Like 2

It seems to run in EV most of the time in auto mode as I spanked it a few times whilst taking family on a quick spin, and it still reported 87% EV which I didn't expect. 

I love the power and instant torque on tap. 

10 hours ago, Caspa said:

It seems to run in EV most of the time in auto mode as I spanked it a few times whilst taking family on a quick spin, and it still reported 87% EV which I didn't expect. 

I love the power and instant torque on tap. 

Hmmm, think I’m going to give this a try. It is what the guy doing the What Car long term review alluded to as the best way of using the car, especially on longer “out of EV range” trips

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 10:32 AM, imgo said:

I totally agree Ken.

Before I ordered my NX350h Takumi in February I was considering waiting and ordering a RZ450e when they became available. I am so glad that I didn't wait for the RZ450e. I am paying £51k for my NX350h Takumi, the price of the RZ450e Takumi is from £72k. I could not justify paying an extra £21k+ for the car, and then having to pay high electric costs to charge it. In the current fuel cost climate it just doesn't make sense. 

Don't get me wrong, I would love to own a Lexus BEV, I have been an Electronic Engineer for almost 40 years so it would be a dream come true. But with the high purchase costs, high energy costs, and limited range of around 250 miles, I am going to keep my 350h for at least 5 years until I can make the change to a Lexus BEV with the new solid state battery technology.

Michael.

Wow you paid £51,000, but I paid nearly £55,000 for my 350H Takumi which includes the special Sonic Grey Paint, you got a good deal 

On 8/29/2022 at 3:15 PM, Ken R said:

Hi Andy

But your economy will take a big hit this way because of the weight of the Battery's, it would be like 2 people always sitting at the back seats. 

7 minutes ago, S Dhuper said:

Wow you paid £51,000, but I paid nearly £55,000 for my 350H Takumi which includes the special Sonic Grey Paint, you got a good deal 

I ordered just before a price increase and asked for a discount to match an online broker, so was lucky I suppose.

4 minutes ago, imgo said:

I ordered just before a price increase and asked for a discount to match an online broker, so was lucky I suppose.

I ordered end of Feb 22 so I left it too late, when are you getting your car? Mine is estimated Feb 23, if it is Feb 23 I'll ask the Dealer to keep it in the showroom unregistered and take delivery 1st Mar for the 23 Platr3

Just now, S Dhuper said:

I ordered end of Feb 22 so I left it too late, when are you getting your car? Mine is estimated Feb 23, if it is Feb 23 I'll ask the Dealer to keep it in the showroom unregistered and take delivery 1st Mar for the 23 Platr3

Oops sorry 23 Plate 

40 minutes ago, S Dhuper said:

But your economy will take a big hit this way because of the weight of the Battery's, it would be like 2 people always sitting at the back seats. 

Yes to a degree but currently getting c55/60 mpg when using in hybrid mode which is excellent and loads better than the 42mpg average that I got on my previous NX300H.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ken R said:

Yes to a degree but currently getting c55/60 mpg when using in hybrid mode which is excellent and loads better than the 42mpg average that I got on my previous NX300H.

I agree Ken, over 2 trips (mainly motorways) which each covered over 200 miles with no charge in the EV batteries other than the minimum 30% when the car switches to HV mode I’ve seen 49.5mpg and 53mpg, a substantial jump on my previous RX.

It would be useful if, in one of those motoring reviews, one of them would perform a back to back near identical test on the 350h and the 450h (EV batteries depleted) to establish just how much this extra weight affects the 450h.
My thinking is that it is not as much as suggested. I haven’t worked it out but the % difference in weight is not the same as it would be turning a Lotus into a PHEV.

• Like 3

Just 2 days ago I had a test drive of a NX450h while I was waiting for a fast  cosmetic repair on my 2016 RX, and I have been positively impressed. The NX  works most of the time in EV mode in hybrid mode too, the main difference is the intervention of thermal engine at a speed far more higher than in RX (at about 70 km/h) , so in normal use it's like to drive a EV vehicle, till 120 km/h, Besides, I was worried of 4 cylinder sound compared to V6m but actually car is very  quiet and it's a bit faster than RX450h, and also more rigid but still comfy. I ended test drive thinking it could be my next Lexus, even if I will keep my RX for a long time as it like new.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ken R said:

That's great numbers , I was told for my 350H I should be getting between 44 to 49mpg, 

This is my first Lexus car, my current car Astra can only dream of such mpg 

On 8/17/2022 at 12:19 PM, Alan Thompson said:

I filled up on day one (1st March) with odometer showing 29 miles. I've filled up today with odometer showing 3838, not put any fuel in between. Today put in 39 litres (8.58 gallons) to fill again. That works out at 444 miles per gallon.

I am not naive enough to think that this is a true representation, so I thought if I add the cost of the fuel (£65) to the cost of all my electric charges (£255.82), divide that by todays fuel price per litre (£1.669) after converting to gallons, this will provide an equivalent number of gallons to the total cost, then divide miles covered (3809) by the equivalent gallons: 

All fuel cost 65 + 255.82 = £320.82 

Cost per gallon 166.9*4.54609 = £7.587

320.82/7.587 = 42.29 gallons

3809/42.29 = 90.06 mpg

Sits back and waits for those cleverer than me to blow my theory/calculation/premise out of the water.

What have I missed?

I'll do the same calc again when I've been to Southampton and back in the next couple of weeks, se what's changed.

Having set off to Southampton with a full tank of fuel and a full charge (cost of this charge included above, so no cost of electric to add), I got 10 miles of electric for free at a PodPoint in Winchester while we had a coffee. Left the car for almost 2 weeks with around 55% charge. Set off back yesterday with just about enough range to get home to Leeds. Due to road closures on A34 near Oxford we ended up snaking around towards Swindon and I saw a fuel station at £1.639 per litre so decided to fill up.

At that point, total fuel added 5.83 gallons for 313 miles covered at 53.7 miles per gallon. Battery had 1 mile range showing. I'm happy with that. Speed? I usually stay on or a few miles above the speed limit where conditions permit, so I wasn't driving Miss Daisy.

As I'll now be back to mainly local driving, so using very little fuel, I have decided not to carry the extra weight of a full tank of petrol around until I need to.

• Like 1

After a series of longer journeys I filled the tank today and after converting and adding the cost of electrical charge to present litre charges for fuel my overall consumption is a respectable 64mpg.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Refuelled again today (5th fill since taking delivery and just over 5000 miles on the clock) and after converting the cost of electrical charge to present petrol price the overall result is 62.2mpg. This is slightly down on my last result but reflects the lower autumn temperatures. Still very pleased at this figure which is c50% better than I was getting from my NX300h.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links