Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

NX 450h+ electric and petrol range

Well I just refuelled this morning and have recorded the poorest mpg to date. A combination of longer ICE journeys and the drop off in EV range due to lower temperatures has resulted in an overall 37.6 mpg.  Petrol consumption was 57.5mpg but when I convert the cost of electricity recharges and convert to petrol price the result is as above. So from 64mpg overall in late summer this is a significant change. Roll on warmer weather!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this subject {MPG etc] but would appreciate some help and guidance if possible.

Had my NX since pick up 2nd Jan...so needless to say all trips done in cold, very cold and minus temperatures. Total mileage driven so far is 900 miles and will require a first fuel top up very shortly

For the first time since getting the car I have been able to sit inside [in better temp !] and spend some time searching various items and subjects within the Multimedia.

It is currently showing a mileage per Kw of 2.2, which I assume will increase as the temp increases to somewhere near to others on the forum showing 3.10 +.

My current EV milage is 39 to 41 on a full Battery and is doing that.

Unable to locate the screen page showing the mpg average since collection. I have not done any resets.

When I ask the nice 'Hi Lexus' lady she is informs my current mpg which has been going up slightly over the past 3 weeks, and is now 54.6.

How does these figures compare with others? .....and am I right in assuming that the mpg is calculated via the fuel used since pick up....and when I fill up will it show range based on this [54.6] 

OR is all this simply a guessometer of figures and that simply charge and fuel up when needed is the way to go.

• 2 months later...

My first year of ownership and 10000 miles has resulted in an overall fuel consumption figure of 48.69mpg. This is calculated via petrol consumption and cost of electric recharges converted into the ruling petrol price.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ken R said:

My first year of ownership and 10000 miles has resulted in an overall fuel consumption figure of 48.69mpg. This is calculated via petrol consumption and cost of electric recharges converted into the ruling petrol price.

Did you charge the Battery religiously or have you driven the car with an empty Battery as well? 

16 hours ago, Ken R said:

That is a very interesting figure.

Yes as discussed many times on this and other forums, consumption figures vary considerably, time of year, driving conditions, number/amount of charging, and of course how it is driven.

But based on all of that AND the car size, comfort, refinement, etc, surely nearly 49mpg average over 10k miles is in my mind very good and pleasing. 

I am sure that there are many non-Lexus owners out there with similar maybe not so comfortable PHEV SUV,s [and yes there are always exceptions] that do not come close to matching.

Currently after 5k miles, mine is showing 65mpg and I am averaging 50/50 % .....thats  50%EV v 50% ICE journeys.

So as this is a Lexus forum lets enjoy our wheels and economy !!

• Like 2

On 4/11/2023 at 11:58 PM, Ken R said:

That's interesting Ken. 

By way of comparison, my NX350h (14 months old with just over 7,000 miles on the clock) has returned 48 mpg in it's lifetime so far (as indicated by the car's on-board computer so may be a tad "optimistic"). So, not a big difference.

Sorry, not trying to cast aspersions on your (or anyone else's) choice of getting the PHEV - just thought I'd throw it out there for anyone weighing up the two options. FWIW, I would have bought the 450h+ over the 350h if I had the capability to charge it at home (living in a flat took that option away) as a PHEV would be perfect for the journeys I make 90% of the time.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Andy B said:

That's interesting Ken. 

By way of comparison, my NX350h (14 months old with just over 7,000 miles on the clock) has returned 48 mpg in it's lifetime so far (as indicated by the car's on-board computer so may be a tad "optimistic"). So, not a big difference.

Sorry, not trying to cast aspersions on your (or anyone else's) choice of getting the PHEV - just thought I'd throw it out there for anyone weighing up the two options. FWIW, I would have bought the 450h+ over the 350h if I had the capability to charge it at home (living in a flat took that option away) as a PHEV would be perfect for the journeys I make 90% of the time.

That's a good result Andy.

The narrowing of the price differential between petrol and electricity hasn't helped and the ending of almost all free charge points is another factor to consider. I did have the advantage for much of my first year of ownership of accessing free recharges (although for calculation purposes I counted these as though they were costing me).Have just returned from a short break in South West Scotland and overall consumption appears to be c54mpg.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andy B said:

That's interesting Ken. 

We bought the PHEV 450h knowing that 50% of the time our journeys would be around town, with return trips within the  40mile PHEV range, and 50% would be long trips of 400+ miles return. 
Combining all of our long trips together and using the Fuelly app to record them out average consumption in petrol HV mode is 48.8 mpg with most journeys being done keeping to the speed limits +/- a bit

• 3 weeks later...

Ours is now showing an average since purchase (June 2022) of 2.6 miles/Kwh which is way down from the initial 3.1 so must be showing the effect of the winter where I assume the Battery is used for heating.

Overall mpg is showing as 84mpg but that of course is in part because many of those miles have been pure electric.  On the latest of the few pure hybrid journeys the App can be bothered to tell me about it says 52.4mpg which was rural roads.  Get more like 41mpg on mixed motorway/A roads driving 

Refuelled this evening and an overall consumption of 48.43mpg has resulted which is just slightly less than the average achieved during my first year of ownership. This is petrol purchased plus the cost of the total electrical charges in the period converted to the current price of petrol.

Just fully charged it and it's showing

EV Range:  44.9 miles

EV Range with AC:  44.4 miles

Does match what we got out of it today (warm day, no heating required) 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just resurrecting this thread. 

Over the past week we have been on a vacation/road trip from the far east of East Anglia to the far west of West Wales. Return trip was 1016 miles excluding the 46 miles of pure electric range available when we set off.

To say I have been pleasantly surprised is an understatement. The 1016 miles covered in ICE mode in this heavy NX450H+ returned an average fuel consumption, measured brim to brim at fill ups, of 50.9mpg.
Happy with that, now back to local miles under electric power🙄

All miles were covered in ‘Normal’ Mode, since I figured out sometime ago that under ICE conditions Eco mode uses more fuel on long journeys. It was the same with my previous RX450h. Most of the miles were done on Motorways/dual carriageways at not less than the prescribed legal limits where possible.

• Like 3

Refuelled again this evening and recorded an overall consumption of 49.35 mpg. This is petrol purchased plus the total cost of electricity charges in the period converted to the current price of petrol.

• 1 month later...

Just refuelled this evening and the result is an overall consumption of 54.48mpg. This is calculated via petrol purchased plus the total cost of electric recharges in the period converted to the current petrol price.    Very satisfied as this far exceeds the consumption I achieved in my previous NX300 which was 41mpg. 

• Like 4

On 5/21/2023 at 10:58 PM, RXtoNX said:

returned an average fuel consumption, measured brim to brim at fill ups, of 50.9mpg. 

Is that without recharging with electricity? 

1 hour ago, rexleonis said:

Is that without recharging with electricity? 

Yes, in petrol HV mode all of the time. Compared to our previous 2018 model RX the NX falls in to EV mode automatically much more regularly and at higher speeds.

• Like 1

On a recent trip from Norfolk to North Yorks and return attached are the results from the app.

the 180 mile trip started with ev range of 41, in auto ev with the predictive drive on and down to 0 ev range at about 170 miles into run

the return 218 miles trip was in HV mode with 0 ev range

not sure how accurate the figures are as did not do any real calls on petrol in and converting the cost of electric etc. but overall very pleased with this compared to my previous NX300h

IMG_0770.png

IMG_0769.png

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight's refuelling (E10) giving an overall 55.02mpg. This is calculated via petrol purchased plus the cost of electric recharges converted to the current petrol price. Continue to be very satisfied with this performance. Have covered over 13000 miles in 16 months and have only visited the petrol station on 16 occasions. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Refuelled for the 17th time today since taking delivery in March 22 and covering over 14000 miles. Overall consumption since the last fill is working out at 54.77mpg resulting from fuel purchased and the cost of electrical recharges converted to the current cost of E10 petrol. Very satisfactory and more economical than my previous NX300 which averaged c41 mpg. The overall consumption since taking delivery and using the above method of calculation is 49.93mpg.

• Like 2

On 9/3/2023 at 5:35 PM, Ken R said:

Refuelled for the 17th time today since taking delivery in March 22 and covering over 14000 miles. Overall consumption since the last fill is working out at 54.77mpg resulting from fuel purchased and the cost of electrical recharges converted to the current cost of E10 petrol. Very satisfactory and more economical than my previous NX300 which averaged c41 mpg. The overall consumption since taking delivery and using the above method of calculation is 49.93mpg.

Refuelled for the 10th time today since taking delivery in March 22 and covering over 12500 miles.

Overall consumption since the last fill is working out at 73.3mpg resulting from fuel purchased and the cost of electrical recharges converted to the current cost of E10 petrol.  The overall consumption since taking delivery and using the above method of calculation is 63.94mpg.

With credit to Ken R for the wording.

My last fill up was more than 2700 miles ago on 29 April.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ken R said:

Impressive results Alan.

I know, I had to check the figures 2 or 3 times!

I think it's because the vast majority of my journeys are round trips of less than 30 miles. There are only 2 instances where I've done 500 miles round trips and I don't think any others have been over 100 miles. Maybe I should have gone full electric...................No, I like the flexibility.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links