Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another IS-F bites the dust

It is obviously hard to say from just he pictures, but I agree with John that it should be feasible to repair it.

Hopefully it will be but of course it could very well be that it is worth more in parts, so ultimately it will be stripped for maximum profit.

Shame really.

It is not about the damage, it is about car being Cat-S, meaning car can no longer be sold for profit, CAT-N would be borderline still feasible to repair. I just nominally assign 40% discount for S and 20% for N. So Cat-S makes it £12k car, when only the engine alone is worth £8k I can't see somebody investing into repairing it, Cat-N would mean £16k car and that is more reasonable as even braking for parts it would be difficult to get more.  Now... I guess yes - it could be shoddily repaired, because simply the margin for the profit will be very vey small, so it won't ever be a nice car somebody could be proud of... at least that is my opinion.

Other possibility - somebody will buy it hoping they can get £20k for it (which is silly for Cat-S), do very poor repair job and then we will see it lingering on AT forever.

Final option which I think would be very sensible - turn it into race car. I have seen at lease 2-3 ending-up on the track after being wrecked and that is good thing. Why take perfectly working car and strip it for the track, if you can take car with "salvage title" for cheap. That would probably be best possible outcome.

4 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Final option which I think would be very sensible - turn it into race car.

I like that idea a lot. With a racing exhaust and weight stripped out it could look and sound extraordinary

Not a single airbag deployed?

To me it looks like insurance fraud. Car on parking deliberately hit. I have seen many like these and after repair obviously engine or expensive gearbox fault pops out. 
But I can be wrong 🙂 

And importantly we (car enthusiasts) don't need to sacrifice another perfectly good IS-F, so win-win for everyone. IS-F actually has quite good racing history with privateers.

Review: Lexus IS F CCS-R Race CarLexus ISF

image.thumb.jpeg.2c6bea2a6452fbfb4c0bb0bd4c8dd82d.jpeg

I know at least 3 or 4 real IS-Fs, and then there is dozen IS250, IS300 and IS350 with wide body kits and "Lexus V8", likely UZ1,2 or 3, perhaps some UR... and I know at least one with IS-F engine.

I guess it is conflicting statement to say they are "popular"... not really when I can count them on my fingers (although toes included), so it is really just handful cars. But they are there and the yare racing.

2 minutes ago, DamianLEX said:

Not a single airbag deployed?

To me it looks like insurance fraud. Car on parking deliberately hit. I have seen many like these and after repair obviously engine or expensive gearbox fault pops out. 
But I can be wrong 🙂 

Could be, it would be interesting to know the story of what happened to it. But likewise it could be legit, like car damaged when parked, or impact from the side (where airbags won't deploy), or it could be underside where it hit something low and just ripped bumper underneath. We could only speculate, but that is good shout - airbags not deploying is little bit suspicious. 

The fact the airbags hadn't been deployed was why I said it couldn't have been a big impact. Also, the front wings didn't appear to be damaged. Just the bonnet.

But of course with missing headlights, grille, bumper etc, possibly some hidden damage to engine bay parts it would still be quite expensive to put right. But if replacing parts with aftermarket and custom stuff. eg: carbon bonnet, 4IS-style bumper, it might have been a nice starting point for someone planning a "build" project.

Did anyone follow the auction and see how much it went for?

22 hours ago, Linas.P said:

But likewise it could be legit, like car damaged when parked, or impact from the side (where airbags won't deploy)

While a side impact when the car is in use wouldn't trigger the frontal airbags it should trigger the side airbags no?

NB: I'm assuming Lexus didn't remove them from the F to save weight as that would be pretty dumb in the 2IS that crashes the fastest /shrug

22 minutes ago, ubersonic said:

While a side impact when the car is in use wouldn't trigger the frontal airbags it should trigger the side airbags no?

NB: I'm assuming Lexus didn't remove them from the F to save weight as that would be pretty dumb in the 2IS that crashes the fastest /shrug

"Side" - I meant when you stop and just front of the car get's in a way of harm and other car just rips the front "form the side".   

1 hour ago, Texas said:

Link has expired….

Did Anyone grab any screenshots of damage to post for future ref?

Total check actually keeps database of these, so if any car was trough the auction and you run the check on it, they will have auction pictures.  Sadly, when copart link expires it is gone and I didn't even take the number plate. 

Missed the listing hopefully it can be repaired and its safe to put back on the road.

Prices have jumped somewhat, models like the M3, RS4 have go under a huge price increase. I personally cant see the prices coming doing by much.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links