Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Selling my RX450h soon as my new NX is being built now.

My RX450h will be up for sale soon as my new NX should be with me in the next couple of months. So if you are interested its a 2012 in pearlescent white, premier with pan roof. Full Lexus service history, so relax warranty until Oct 2022, MOT March 2023. I haven't really looked at prices yet, so I will have to do some homework on that one. As I don't know exactly when the NX will be ready, this is just to see if anyone on here would be interested before I advertise it on Auto trader or trade it in later on.

DSCF4696.JPG

• Like 2

There was someone on here a few weeks back looking for a car of this sort of vintage, so if he has not got fixed up yet, let's hope he says yours.  Always nice to keep a car within the club.

I thought the Premier was not available with the pan roof, so something I have learnt.

Would be interesting if you would say how your new NX compares with your RX in due course.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I will be in the market for an RX450h in the coming months, will be looking at SEL and Premiers, had an SEL a couple of years ago without air suspension but would prefer one with this time, imagine a nicer ride quality but have no experience of this, please let me know what your looking at selling yours for when the time comes, thanks

1 hour ago, tezza8142 said:

had an SEL a couple of years ago without air suspension but would prefer one with this time, imagine a nicer ride quality

I've never driven one with air but have been a passenger in one a few times and can honestly say that the difference is negligible - especially given the huge repair costs of air if it goes faulty.

16 hours ago, Herbie said:

I've never driven one with air but have been a passenger in one a few times and can honestly say that the difference is negligible - especially given the huge repair costs of air if it goes faulty.

does anyone with air suspension have any horror stories, would be good to hear your stories good or bad

1 hour ago, tezza8142 said:

does anyone with air suspension have any horror stories, would be good to hear your stories good or bad

The search facility on this board isn't very good but I can say that a few people have brought up this topic at various times and it sticks out in my mind that one single air strut is about £700 to replace, or certainly over £600 anyway. You may be lucky and get one from a breakers but (a) they know what they cost new so they price their used ones accordingly, and (b) there's no guarantee that a used one would be any better.

When an air strut goes faulty, quite a few people have taken the opportunity to convert to normal coil suspension - a complete new set of four can be had for under a grand.

And we haven't even mentioned the cost of a compressor if that went faulty :whistling:

2 minutes ago, Herbie said:

The search facility on this board isn't very good but I can say that a few people have brought up this topic at various times and it sticks out in my mind that one single air strut is about £700 to replace, or certainly over £600 anyway. You may be lucky and get one from a breakers but (a) they know what they cost new so they price their used ones accordingly, and (b) there's no guarantee that a used one would be any better.

When an air strut goes faulty, quite a few people have taken the opportunity to convert to normal coil suspension - a complete new set of four can be had for under a grand.

And we haven't even mentioned the cost of a compressor if that went faulty :whistling:

In all of my Membership years, the advice I recall is try to avoid if at all possible. If one cannot avoid then replace all 4 corners if one is keeping the vehicle long term, Herbie.

I`m with you on this one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tezza8142 said:

Cost me around 2K mark to have the 2 front air shocks replaced by Lexus Cheltenham in low forty thousand mileage.  Mind you I don't know how the original lady owner drove it but I doubt hard in view of the use made most probably of children operating screens for games or whatever judging by wear on remote for system.  However, Lexus agreed that need to replace the air shocks at such low mileage was exceptional and allowed a small contribution towards cost on understanding that I took out a two year extended warranty.  I note that air suspension has been dropped on the 4th Generation and one wonders whether the advantage over standard spring shocks makes insignificant difference or because the air system caused too many problems, although some have been OK for well over 100K miles.

My advice would be to try to get a drive in cars using both types of suspension and then consider if the difference in ride made the potential cost of replacement worthwhile.  I would also mention that the compressor for the air suspension is also expensive if this needs replacement. Several members on older cars have changed to less expensive conventional springs rather than replace air shocks when problems experienced.

Hi 

My previous model was a 53 plate 300SEL with air suspension. Loved it!  Also, I was able to lower the height to allow my diminutive mother in law to get in and out. However in the few (4 I think) years we owned it the compressor failed twice!  This was ridiculously expensive and was the main reason we parted with the car. 

What I couldn’t understand is why Lexus can’t do what Citroen have been doing successfully for decades. 

Many thanks for all your comment and insights, as I will be buying an older 3rd gen 09-12 as this is what my finances will allow for now, I will be looking at one without air now if possible! or at least one with air if work has already been done and documented, cant really afford to fork out £1000's after purchase, the reason for an SEL or Premier is the HUD and Mark Levinson Stereo which in my opinion was fantastic on my last RX.

I had a Ford Kuga Vignale which I sold in Feb which had the 10 speaker premium Sony system and in my opinion I thought this was terrible, didn't matter how I configured it  - it was no match for the MK system so that will have to be a must 🙂

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 9:54 AM, tezza8142 said:

I had one 61 plate from 100k miles to 150k and had no issues

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well the NX is in the UK now, so my car is going up for sale this week. I have been looking at second hand prices and I think about £14.5k looks about the average, what do you all think, is that a fair price? WBAC have offered £12750 but that will drop when they start looking for every stone chip and hair on the upholstery. Motorway recon £13.8k but that is an average.......... So difficult to price these days!

1 hour ago, Barry7 said:

WBAC have offered £12750 but that will drop when they start looking for every stone chip and hair on the upholstery.

You could try Cazoo, I sold a 13-year old car with no problem, immediate payment and no quibble over condition which I had set at the highest rating.

11 hours ago, steve2006 said:

From what I understand BCA own WBAC and Cazoo, the newer models then being sold retail with Cazoo and the trade stuff via BCA.

I did wonder why Cazoo would buy a 13-year old car which clearly they are not going to sell retail, so vehicle went from Cazoo through BCA auction to independent dealer where it's still for sale almost 1-year later.

I am in the market right now for an RX450 of around this price point but I am looking for a few specific things (I have a GS450h currently and these are things I have and am not prepared to do without any more)

adaptive cruise control (I know this wasn't fitted to most of the RX450h range)

Mark Levinson audio

Rain sensing wipers (probably standard across the range)

cooled seats would be nice but not a deal breaker

I have advertised it on Autotrader for a few weeks at just under 15k so lets see what gets offered. The first caller was at 14k over the phone, but wanted to haggle  if he found any problems when he saw it. Sounded like a dealer to me. So lets see who calls next?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links