Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Android Auto UX250h 2019

Has anyone managed to get Android Auto configured on a 2019 model?

If so, how much did it cost?

Is there a gizmo you can use to connect your phone to the display without a cable?

I'm looking at android auto as I'm guessing it will be far cheaper than paying for map updates!

Thanks

Edited by UX250h
Updated question

10 hours ago, UX250h said:

Is there a gizmo you can use to connect your phone to the display without a cable?

There are Android Auto USB adaptors available from the likes of amazon and I've seen posts by other Lexus owners who use them e.g. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Roger Bill said:

There are Android Auto USB adaptors available from the likes of Amazon and I've seen posts by other Lexus owners who use them e.g. 

I'm still very happy with my AAWireless adapter. The only slight issue is that whenever I'm near Peterborough railway station, it cuts out in the same place every time. Issue with the overhead wires perhaps?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Motorola wireless adaptor. Works well, although I believe linking it to more than one phone can be tricky. Main problem is availability; I got mine on eBay, shipped from San Francisco; paid about 50% over the retail price. I think only worth doing if the phone supports wireless charging, and the car has the charging pad. Otherwise, you would need to plug it in anyway.

On 6/10/2022 at 7:31 AM, Mincey said:

I'm still very happy with my AAWireless adapter. The only slight issue is that whenever I'm near Peterborough railway station, it cuts out in the same place every time. Issue with the overhead wires perhaps?

Hi @Mincey I had a similar issue with my AAWireless dongle too where it would cut out at the same place on my commute every time.

The developer recently issued a firmware upgrade (version 2.0) for the device which, coupled with the latest version of the accompanying phone app (2.14.0), allows you to manually change the WiFi channel that the device uses to communicate with the phone. I found that changing this channel to one in the higher range (153 in my case, if I remember correctly) solved the problem. Maybe worth a try for you.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Andy B said:

Hi @Mincey I had a similar issue with my AAWireless dongle too where it would cut out at the same place on my commute every time.

The developer recently issued a firmware upgrade (version 2.0) for the device which, coupled with the latest version of the accompanying phone app (2.14.0), allows you to manually change the WiFi channel that the device uses to communicate with the phone. I found that changing this channel to one in the higher range (153 in my case, if I remember correctly) solved the problem. Maybe worth a try for you.

Cheers for that - I'll give it a go!

• 3 months later...

If you are using a aawireless adapter, what happens when you plug in a charging cable?  Will it continue to work wirelessly or does it reconnect to android auto using cable connectivity?

1 hour ago, UX250h said:

If you are using a aawireless adapter, what happens when you plug in a charging cable?  Will it continue to work wirelessly or does it reconnect to android auto using cable connectivity?

Sorry - are you referring to using a second USB port for charging the phone whilst using the AAWireless dongle plugged into the first port for wireless Android Auto?

If so..... this would depend on how many and what types of USB ports are installed in your car (i.e. either those that facilitate data transfer or those that are purely used for charging). Typically cars have just one data transfer USB port (and this where the AAWireless dongle should be plugged into) and one or two charging ports. Therefore plugging your phone into a basic charging USB port whilst using the AAWireless dongle in the data transfer port will have no impact on the dongle and Android Auto will continue to run wirelessly. I'm not sure what would happen if both USB ports supported data transfer - although I suspect that Android Auto would switch to wired - but I doubt that you have more than one data transfer capable USB port in the UX.

If your question is referring to simply unplugging the AAWireless dongle and then plugging the phone into the same USB port (so as to achieve both Android Auto functionality and charging at the same time) then Android Auto would switch to wired.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Hi Andy B, thanks for your reply. I've checked and I can run android auto (wired) from either USB port.

Guess I'll have to see what happens when the adapter arrives. I'm hoping it just charges it and leaves the wireless connection running.

In my opinion, if you're plugging the phone in to charge it you might as well first unplug the AAWireless dongle temporarily and use Android Auto (AA) in wired mode (via the USB port that the phone is using to charge). That way there will be less of a drain on the phone's Battery (wireless AA is a much bigger drain compared to wired) and it will charge faster. 

If however you want to charge the phone via one port but still run AA wirelessly via the dongle in another port, there may be a way to force AA to run wirelessly by default. In the AA settings on your phone there should be an option to toggle on "Wireless Android Auto". This might work.  

Hope this helps - sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick here. 

• Thanks 1

I can also vouch for the AAWireless dongle (Thanks to Andy and Adam)

Don't ,whatever you do have anything to do with the Carlinkit version..it doesn't work properly and their customer service is absolutley hopeless.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I've bought and am using this in my UX. 22 plate.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BRQ3RWFX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Absolutely flawless, connects my phone for everything I need but simple to return to Radio etc. I recommend it. Best thing is that 'Hey Google' is so receptive and it stops my car saying 'Pardon' constantly! She says it like I'd passed wind or something!

I wish I could remove FM and AM options for radio though. Complete waste of time for my listening habits.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone out there use a Music Streaming Service with their Android Auto connection? That sounds a bit " well, d'uuh, yes" but I mean one that actually plays the requested track through 'Hey Google'? If I ask for Cranberries Dream - I get U2 - for example!

amazon Music doesn't work well and before I commit to another streamer I thought it worth asking the knowledgeable folk on here!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links