Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RCF Modifications

On 7/4/2022 at 6:30 PM, DavidCM said:

The "chrome" trim on the. RC 300 f sport has a bronze colour finish.It might be possible to get that from Lexus if someone didn't want to go down the wrap route.

Yeah the gsf chrome around the grille is like a dark smoked.chrome however the window chrome is still hideously silver 

22 hours ago, Arnett said:

Yeah the gsf chrome around the grille is like a dark smoked.chrome however the window chrome is still hideously silver 

Similar to my RCF, the chrome on the grill is different to the window trim.  

On another note, Swift Springs are due to arrive on Monday so looking to get them installed this week, depending on availability of the garage.  

Stand by for further updates😁

Marcus

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All, had a go at fitting springs to the car at weekend, managed to get shocks off without too much incident but the damper top nut is proving to be challenging.  As the car has AVS there is a wire that comes out the top of the strut, complicating access with spanners and making fitting a socket nearly impossible.

Anyone with any experience removing this nut on an AVS car?  I feel a ‘custom’ spanner needing to be made but would rather just get the right tool if it exists.  

thanks in advance

Marcus

Sounds like you might need a deep reach spanner also with a slot in it.

Bit like a brake line spanner but with the bend in it for deeper reach.

Or try the “difficult access sockets” at Halfords. They have a slot in them.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jgtcracer said:

All, had a go at fitting springs to the car at weekend, managed to get shocks off without too much incident but the damper top nut is proving to be challenging.  As the car has AVS there is a wire that comes out the top of the strut, complicating access with spanners and making fitting a socket nearly impossible.

Anyone with any experience removing this nut on an AVS car?  I feel a ‘custom’ spanner needing to be made but would rather just get the right tool if it exists.  

thanks in advance

Marcus

Ask on the USA site, I imagine a few have done it DIY wise.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the support on the spring tool question, done some extra research and am just going to make the tool.  

On another note, have today installed the H&S exhaust I received earlier this week.  Please see some below pics.  Was really easy to install for the DIY mechanic in around 1.5hrs and can be done on axle stands without issue.  A couple of points worth considering.

Doesn't come with nuts and bolts, need 4x M10 30mm A2 nuts and bolts/washers along with 2x M8 20mm A2 nuts and bolts/washers.

Will need a quick clean out of the box, 20mins of autosol made a big different before installing.  Give whole thing another clean before running the car as once it warms up, contamination can stain 304/316SS

Fit is really good, though be sure to ensure spreader bar is holding tips/boxes in correct position in bumper or knocking can occur.

Noise is nice and deep though when cruising you can hardly tell it’s fitted from inside.  Once you boot it, really livens up.

63711BAE-3EC3-4EE8-8C8F-BA12A4C4D253.jpeg

6F76DEAD-911E-42B9-A977-D21294F1E207.jpeg

C778C9B1-B703-4095-A6BF-687AB38A3F50.jpeg

7B8C38CB-9898-4A9B-B399-81012A7B2A72.jpeg

• Like 3

Managed to get the Swift springs fitted this morning, was surprisingly easy though I suppose the car has only done 10,000 miles so wouldn’t expect it to be fighting me.  

Only driven it a few miles today though ride doesn’t seem to have been affected much and even with spacers, no rubbing to be had at full lock.  Did push on over some bumpy roads and didn’t bottom out shocks either!

Early days but really pleased with initial results, just need to keep an eye on long term wear.  Please see below a pic after install.

9C34C77D-A88F-4F7A-A5C2-BD02BC55C730.jpeg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Jgtcracer said:

Managed to get the Swift springs fitted this morning, was surprisingly easy though I suppose the car has only done 10,000 miles so wouldn’t expect it to be fighting me.  

Only driven it a few miles today though ride doesn’t seem to have been affected much and even with spacers, no rubbing to be had at full lock.  Did push on over some bumpy roads and didn’t bottom out shocks either!

Early days but really pleased with initial results, just need to keep an eye on long term wear.  Please see below a pic after install.

9C34C77D-A88F-4F7A-A5C2-BD02BC55C730.jpeg

That looks to be sat perfectly now. 

3 hours ago, L55 RCF said:

That looks to be sat perfectly now. 

It’s pretty spot on, gives the whole front end a more aggressive stance when looking at it from the front.

Thanks 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Another update on this thread, got CarPlay/Android auto for the car.  Was very much after a system that integrates with the existing multimedia without any extra buttons etc and looked as close to OEM as possible.  Eventually ended up with a unit form ICEBOX Auto in Liverpool.

Turned up well package and in quick time, approximately 2 weeks.  

installation was initially hard work due to a lack of instructions but once I got these from Icebox the rest of it was fine.

Overall the unit is really good, ties in seamlessly with the car and feels OEM.

Any questions just ask

Marcus

4AC62009-A6C9-44D2-A750-3F1A5707BAFA.jpeg

B5548B46-589E-4CBF-9157-0598DF43FADF.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

Looks good. Do you know if this is the same unit that @BillNick made an install thread about from last year? And is the install process similar?

I'm guessing this is another unbranded/Chinese unit?

Apologies for the vague initial post, was done on phone rather than the PC which makes link hard work.    The unit is sold from the UK as an ICEBOX product but does look like the rather generic ones as seen elsewhere.  One thing I will say about this one in particular is that ICEBOX customer service is UK based and they will reply to emails/phone calls same day.  I've personally found the aftersales really good, it was the difference between it being a risky purchase and a no-brainer for me.

I emailed Icebox to discuss compatibility with the RCF and wanted to make sure of the below points

1. Picture would fill the full screen and resolution would be good.
  2. Touchpad would work fine.
  3. I'd retain use of the OEM multimedia if I ever needed it.
  4. Can I use it with USB rather than wirelessly as described.
  5. Steering wheel controls etc. would be fine.

After answering all of these questions satisfactorily they sent to a link to a unit that I need, please see below.  (note it says NX rather than RC, think its because I have updated RCF multimedia)

https://www.iceboxauto.com/lexus-rc-series-2015-19-wireless-apple-carplay-wired-android-auto-siri-rear-camera

Initially the unit arrived without instructions though a quick email got this sorted.  After having read this it all made sense.  Stripdown of the dash is simple enough and there are plenty of other guides on how to do this so not going to cover it.  

I initially test ran everything with the dash in bits but once satisfied that the hardware was all ok, rebuilt and started configuring the unit to operate everything as required.  Seems a lot of these boxes are rather generic and get a flash to become compatible with different cars.  Once the machine is able to work on a car, final configuration is done in the menus once fitted.  Please see a few points.

1. I wouldn't bother with wireless, found it hard work and because I wanted to charge my phone from USB I think this was just confusing the unit.  When you initially connect the Iphone you will be asked if you want to use the unit in USB or wireless mode.  Select USB and reliable quality/connections will be easy.
  2. Select steering wheel controls to 'Invalid'.  Initially my track up button on the wheel would change source.
  3. Ensure that on the Iphone the option to allow 3rd party USB connections to access details whilst screen in locked in enabled.  This setting is configured in the phone on a device by device basis so won't create any security issues.
  4. Run the MMI USB socket inside the transmission tunnel and drill a 10mm hole in the arm rest cubby hole to run a quality lightning cable.  Cable tie the plug/socket together under the trim so you don't have issues with them coming separated throughout normal use.

I'm more than willing to answer any further questions on it, please let me know if you want a run through or more details.

Marcus

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BillNick said:

Not a bad shout that, I tidied up the 10mm hole so you cant see it and it doesn't look bad but it certainly is a neater solution.  I would however be left with a USB connected to a USB connected to a lightning cable so is just another failure point.

I'll get one and see how much it stresses me out as time goes on - thanks!

3 hours ago, BillNick said:

I know what you’re saying about the multiple connections. Where exactly did you drill the hole? Im interested to know where there is enough of a void behind the arm rest compartment?

I drilled the hole in the compartment from the front when the dash was disassembled so it’s immediately above the existing USB connections.  Managed to get a drill in no problem with the centre console removed.  I’ll take a photo tomorrow, got a mammoth drive down to Norfolk with work in the morning and an evening to waste tomorrow as stuck in a hotel!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BillNick said:

Do love a mammoth drive when ya own an F 👍🏼

I concur…. Had a full year during lockdown doing 4x 600 mile journeys every month to and fro from home to work, loved every second of the drive, 👍🏻 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mr2lad said:

I concur…. Had a full year during lockdown doing 4x 600 mile journeys every month to and fro from home to work, loved every second of the drive, 👍🏻 

Right on cue! 🤣

I also concur, done a few drives up to the land of Scot from Hampshire and its just a pleasure to drive!

• Haha 1

Done 355 miles today down to Norfolk and have averaged 33.8mpg at 70mph on the A1, can’t complain at that!

Car managed it admirably, though still think an LS would have made a better job of it!

26 minutes ago, Jgtcracer said:

Done 355 miles today down to Norfolk and have averaged 33.8mpg at 70mph on the A1, can’t complain at that!

Car managed it admirably, though still think an LS would have made a better job of it!

It's tough, I love that my F is mega comfy but has that grunt on tap as required, but my LS really is a waft-wagon, rarely drive over 60mph as it is just a relaxing place to be!

• 8 months later...

It’s quite some time since I updated this thread but today I added a new modification to the car, a Takada intake.  Fitment was a breeze, taking approximately 30mins and quality seems fine.  Principle driver for the purchase was an increase in induction noise from within the car.  Please see a couple of points below

Not sure if I’m keen on the plastic ‘carbon’ box that comes with the kit.  Either do it in carbon or plastic, fake carbon is worse than no carbon!

The MAF sensor position could be a little better, cables are very close to other wiring and I’m worried they will rub over time.  

Induction noise is much improved and for all of the talk about how much actual power these add, it looks good and sounds better.  At the minute I may get rid of the inlet box entirely at some point but only if I can maintain cool air in the area.

IMG_2140.jpeg

• Like 2

On 5/17/2023 at 7:26 PM, Jgtcracer said:

It’s quite some time since I updated this thread but today I added a new modification to the car, a Takada intake.  Fitment was a breeze, taking approximately 30mins and quality seems fine.  Principle driver for the purchase was an increase in induction noise from within the car.  Please see a couple of points below

Not sure if I’m keen on the plastic ‘carbon’ box that comes with the kit.  Either do it in carbon or plastic, fake carbon is worse than no carbon!

The MAF sensor position could be a little better, cables are very close to other wiring and I’m worried they will rub over time.  

Induction noise is much improved and for all of the talk about how much actual power these add, it looks good and sounds better.  At the minute I may get rid of the inlet box entirely at some point but only if I can maintain cool air in the area.

IMG_2140.jpeg

Nice, I like the matching blue. 

I would imagine getting rid of the box entirely would bring warmer air into the engine. Although the car has always been more about the feel and noise for me vs outright performance.

Have you considered capping the vacuum line to have it open all the time instead? I did that with mine and prefer the even noise through the rev range instead of it kicking in higher in the rev range.

26 minutes ago, TG1 said:

Nice, I like the matching blue. 

I would imagine getting rid of the box entirely would bring warmer air into the engine. Although the car has always been more about the feel and noise for me vs outright performance.

Have you considered capping the vacuum line to have it open all the time instead? I did that with mine and prefer the even noise through the rev range instead of it kicking in higher in the rev range.

I’m going to have a play with the different configurations and see what I like best.  I’m quite handy so can modify if required to make it how I want it.  Ideally, maximum induction noise without heat soak is the goal but need to work out what I’m after first.

Spend a little time this weekend playing with the induction set up and am going to trial an open filter configuration as shown in the picture.  It’s going to be the most free flowing and highest induction roar, though most susceptible to heat soak.  I’m going to see how I get on over next week or two and report back.

Initial thoughts are it sounds good and seems to pull harder at the top end, with no noticeable reduction throughout the Rev range, hard to tell though as I love the sound!

IMG_2144.jpeg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links