Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Washing Machine with FiberCatcher

Ok, so this is probably the wrong forum but I wondered If anyone else had come across this. 
My wife has just got a new washing machine. It is a Grundig and one of the selling points is a new filter that catches micro fibers in the washing. It has a special FiberCatcher filter that collects the micro fibers. Great, we all want to do our bit for the environment. Once the filter is full you send it back for recycling and purchase a new one. 
So after about 3 washes it says it is full and needs replacing. We put the replacement in that came with the machine and I ordered some more from the web site. Now this is where it starts to go wrong. Web site takes my money but no confirmation email. I query using the online help/email no record of my order. I’m now trying to get a refund via my bank/credit card. Not wanting to defeated I ordered another one. This time I got an email receipt but price is in dollars on the receipt and the order number starts with US. The rest of the email lists a UK address etc. Well this one has not arrived and using the order tracking tool it has no reference to my order number. 

I tried to phone the help lines but you just go round in a loop “You can order spares from our web site”, and don’t get the chance to talk to a human. I have sent another email query to see it I can get any response.

It seems such a shame they have a great new feature they are boasting about but have not got the support to back it up. 

Does anyone else have a similar washing machine and has managed to get spare fibercatcher filters?

Thanks

Paul 

2 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

don’t get the chance to talk to a human. I have sent another email query to see it I can get any response.

Thanks

Paul 

Hit the other options for example you wish to place an order or claim a repair etc... Eventually when talking to someone you can ask to be put through to the correct department.  

Failing that i would possibly return the washer to where it was bought and exchange it for a more European model with support closer to home.

EDIT: If this the item you try to order from a UK website? https://www.grundig.co.uk/fibercatcher-synthetic-microfibre-filter-fcf1

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

Cant help, sorry, but I am curious.  How much are these filters that require replacing after 3 washes?

Sound like a MoneyCatcher filter rather than FiberCatcher.

That struck me too, Bill.  In fact, I didn’t even know that there was a Grundig brand washer.

So checking on the Grundig website, I eventually tracked down the filter page and discovered that they were £11.99 each direct from Grundig!  It’s possible that they only come into use during specific synthetic material washes, but that’s a significant annual extra spend for the average family, I would have thought.

Even if it only comes into use on a specific wash program basis, with just the two of us I could see that amounting to one new filter a week!  

Some mistake, surely?

I cannot help with your query Paul, (or even make you feel any more comfortable with your washing machine) - but can provide you with the following information.

Grundig is owned by Beko, (part of a Turkish conglomerate Arçelik AS, (part of a top 500 company Koç Holding) - a massive business - - and they have launched Grundig as a retailer 'tertiary' brand - - (almost as an 'own label' alternative(

I believe that in the UK it is stocked* by Curry's (Curry's/Dixons/PC World/Carphone Warehouse group) (*Possibly exclusively?)

The reviews I've found on 't'interweb have not been particularly good, and unfortunately Which Magazine reviews haven't been their most glowing either.

NB the Trustpilot reviews website appears to be non-too happy with Grundig either    

So - it may be that a possible route to chase up your supplies of 'fibre filters' is through your retailer ..... 

Is there any way you can 'recycle' the filter yourself, perhaps by back flushing? What happens if you simply remove and replace the filter, does the machine measure flow resistance or cycles in use?

Thanks for the suggestions. More interest than I expected. 
Yes that is the web site I ordered from and they are supposed to last 6 months but ours lasted 3 washes although the my wife admits to maybe using it wrong to start with. I am not allowed to use it yet as I haven’t been trained or read the SOP 🙃

I haven’t tried back washing it but the machine still works even if it is full. 

I will try asking in curry’s where we bought it for advice also. 
Thanks

Paul

• Like 1

My thoughts would be to bin the gimmick filter and just run the machine as normal & reading from what you have just posted it would seem that it works ok then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's crazy that you cannot open the filter and clean out, like a tumble dryer filter. Seems they aren't that interested in environmental issues as they will happily sell you more plastic every few weeks. 😒

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

It's crazy that you cannot open the filter and clean out, like a tumble dryer filter. Seems they aren't that interested in environmental issues as they will happily sell you more plastic every few weeks. 😒

Talking to myself here but I guess they felt that some people would just take the filter to the sink and wash it out 🤣

• Like 1

Just read the instruction manual for the machine and it clearly states never to wash out the filter box. Presumably as one will simply be releasing those plastic microfibres into the water ways!

The filter only comes into use on synthetic fibre programmes and it warns against washing cottons with the synthetic programme,  again presumably because cotton fibres will very quickly 'fill' the filter.

27 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

The filter only comes into use on synthetic fibre programmes and it warns against washing cottons with the synthetic programme,  again presumably because cotton fibres will very quickly 'fill' the filter.

I can confirm this does happen.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links