Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Paddle shifters on an eCVT

I don’t think the RX will disappoint you, I find it takes off pretty well in sport+ mode & considering my other car is a Lotus Evora (same basic engine but supercharged) I an happy with the pace of the RX.

Just test drive one then you’ll know if it suits your requirements or not.

On 7/10/2022 at 1:56 PM, Sybaris said:

So is this car ok at overtaking on A roads and motorways etc?  or getting gup to speed quickly on fast roads.  A lot of reviews say it doesn't have that punchy feeling when you put your foot down but not sure if that is true.

You mean an 450h? If you put it into sport, prime the engine with a downshift (or 2 if needed to reach revs of between 2000-3000), it will have enough punch going from 40-50 to 60-70 in no time. That is a very torquey setup with a V6 backed up by electric assistance, I'm sure at its maximum it can produce plenty torque - more than 400 Nm I reckon. The computer-controlled gearing takes some getting used to, but its smooth comfort far outweighs the loss of direct control and sportiness.

• Like 1

So you find that in sport mode the paddles do make a difference?  Am I right in thinking it simulates then what would be the gear settings in a conventional auto box and as the driver, you shouldn't notice much difference to using paddle shifters in an eCVT?  I did try them on a test drive about 6 weeks ago and 2 clicks and nothing changed, I clicked it a 3rd time and it just beeped at me

There is a Sport driving mode (selected by the drive mode dial)  and a Sport transmission mode (selected by moving the transmission shifter towards the S symbol). The former determines how the car as a whole drives, stiffer suspension, tighter steering, rapid throttle response. The latter determines how the transmission works, in S mode it operates like a 'normal' automatic with gears changed by using the paddles.

Well, it does in my RC...

I'll be honest, I am tempted to walk away and stick with my traditional 6 speed auto.  At least I know I can climb hills effortlessly and just press the accelerator and fly past what ever obstacle or hill gradient gets in my way.  I'm not looking to throw the car about like an F1 driver, I like calm and relaxed but I also want the power on demand without a lag when I need it.

14 minutes ago, Sybaris said:

I'll be honest, I am tempted to walk away and stick with my traditional 6 speed auto.  At least I know I can climb hills effortlessly and just press the accelerator and fly past what ever obstacle or hill gradient gets in my way.  I'm not looking to throw the car about like an F1 driver, I like calm and relaxed but I also want the power on demand without a lag when I need it.

To be honest perhaps you should.

You have been given many answers to your questions, much personal experience and it does not appear to make any difference to your thinking in anyway. Do you know what you want?

I came from a 2L Turbo to the CT, yes it is different, I had to learn how to drive a Hybrid CVT, but once you understand how it works and how to get the best out of it, I can honestly say the actual driving experience is just as good. I do the same journeys in the same time at the same speeds just differently.

Reading your comments I am left with the feeling you do not want to change, so are looking for excuses not too. Trust your feelings otherwise you may end up very disappointed and that will not be the fault of an excellent Lexus car.  

• Like 2

I am happy to change, just to the right car or at least to a car that I have confidence that can do what I want it to do, I am entering an unknown and I like to know what I am getting in to.  You're right, there are a lot of answers to a lot of questions, but I can only get those answers by asking the people that have that knowledge.  I agree Lexus make excellent cars, maybe too good, which is why I have held on to my car for so long and that's part of the issue.  I have something that surpasses anything I have driven before and letting it go for something else that is an unknown quantity is from my perspective a gamble.

7 minutes ago, Sybaris said:

I am entering an unknown and I like to know what I am getting in to.    I agree Lexus make excellent cars, maybe too good, which is why I have held on to my car for so long. Maybe I should have changed up sooner.

If you like your car that much, stick with it.

Change of any nature is a risk, you jump or stay still, no other choices. Keep asking questions is not going to change your mind, you are ready to change or not. You have so much evidence all ready, if that is not helping you decide: you are not ready to change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sybaris said:

You're right, there are a lot of answers to a lot of questions, but I can only get those answers by asking the people that have that knowledge.

I think you are getting opinions not answers, only you can answer your questions.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sybaris said:

Before the RX I had a RR Sport. My opinion on the 2 is that I’d take the RX every day.
TBH don’t get why you think the RX is a slouch, it sounds more like you are trying hard to justify not changing but only you can make the decision.

• Like 3

OK So Update !

I took an RX out for a 45 minute test and my .... OH WOWWWWW does it move.

Firstly it took me an extra 20 minutes to get out of the dealership and through 3 sets of temporary lights in the high street.  Now you may say that is a waste of time, but it showed me how the EV mode would be really handy compared to burning up fuel on my current car.

Then I took the thing on the motorway, just a junction and back and it flies.  I don't know what "sporty SUVs" feel like but this thing was plenty fast.  Yep no issue getting 60 -70.  The issue was keeping it at 70 (manually, not with cruise).  I came out feeling that I had been on a rollercoaster, probably the Motorway experience, where driving an unfamiliar and more powerful car for the first time at warp 7 was an adrenaline rush, but a good test.

I took it on a fast and straight A road and 40-50 was fine there too.

This wasn't the F Sport so I couldn't test the S+ but I used the basic S as an approximation and figured if that was ok then S+ would be fine.

Hey even the flappy paddle shifters worked better this time.  I can overtake those slow drivers and 2 wheeled (Insert your own language here) who think they can now ride 2 across in the middle of the lane.

The eCVT, yes it does get loud and revvy when you accelerate hard, but to be honest, I could probably get used to it once I figure out how to drive it properly. Most of my driving is suburban and at 30-40 so I can't see too much revving.  At slow speeds you don't hear it or I didn't notice it.  Going to the local shopping centre, the supermarket and the inlaws is not going to get the eCVT screaming.

The size.  Yep its much bigger than the NX.  Way bigger.  My worry here is a) Parking the thing and b) when you go through tight gaps and some oncoming idiot tries to squeeze in beside you.  I like to rest my elbow on the windowsill on my NX but it doesn't reach it in the RX.  You can't really see the front on the passenger side of the car, this could be tricky in width restrictions.  Does anyone with a 360 camera know if you can select a view where you could guide the car through and see what you are doing?  Is the overhead view that accurate?

Starting off from the lights, there seemed to be a slight jump for a second and then the car moves.  Maybe I was doing something wrong.

Braking.  I wish they bloody told me it would take about twice the distance to stop.  Didn't expect that.

Overall its a good car, and makes my NX feel small and underpowered... which can't be right because up until now it felt like it has a lot of oomph.

I think I am slowly detaching from my NX after this besides if keep it, its going to lose more £££ and I won't be able to make the change in another year or so.

The biggest hurdle now is the shock of the bill but I think it will be worth it.

4 minutes ago, Sybaris said:

OK So Update !

Firstly it took me an extra 20 minutes to get out of the dealership and through 3 sets of temporary lights in the high street.  Now you may say that is a waste of time, but it showed me how the EV mode would be really handy compared to burning up fuel on my current car.

Then I took the thing on the motorway, just a junction and back and it flies.  I don't know what "sporty SUVs" feel like but this thing was plenty fast.  Yep no issue getting 60 -70.  The issue was keeping it at 70 (manually, not with cruise).  I came out feeling that I had been on a rollercoaster, probably the Motorway experience, where driving an unfamiliar and more powerful car for the first time at warp 7 was an adrenaline rush, but a good test.

This wasn't the F Sport so I couldn't test the S+ but I used the basic S as an approximation and figured if that was ok then S+ would be fine.

Hey even the flappy paddle shifters worked better this time.  I can overtake those slow drivers and 2 wheeled (Insert your own language here) who think they can now ride 2 across in the middle of the lane.

The eCVT, yes it does get loud and revvy when you accelerate hard, but to be honest, I could probably get used to it once I figure out how to drive it properly. Most of my driving is suburban and at 30-40 so I can't see too much revving.  At slow speeds you don't hear it or I didn't notice it.  Going to the local shopping centre, the supermarket and the inlaws is not going to get the eCVT screaming.

The size.  Yep its much bigger than the NX.  Way bigger.  My worry here is a) Parking the thing and b) when you go through tight gaps and some oncoming idiot tries to squeeze in beside you.  I like to rest my elbow on the windowsill on my NX but it doesn't reach it in the RX.  You can't really see the front on the passenger side of the car, this could be tricky in width restrictions.  Does anyone with a 360 camera know if you can select a view where you could guide the car through and see what you are doing?  Is the overhead view that accurate?

Starting off from the lights, there seemed to be a slight jump for a second and then the car moves.  Maybe I was doing something wrong.

Braking.  I wish they bloody told me it would take about twice the distance to stop.  Didn't expect that.

Overall its a good car, and makes my NX feel small and underpowered... which can't be right because up until now it felt like it has a lot of oomph.

I think I am slowly detaching from my NX after this besides if keep it, its going to lose more £££ and I won't be able to make the change in another year or so.

The biggest hurdle now is the shock of the bill but I think it will be worth it.

A few comments

1. I don’t know why you expected it not to move when pushed a little 

2. F Sport also get the AVS which is not just for bendy roads. It also works well when selected on uneven roads by taking some “jiggling” away for a better ride

3. Once the transmission starts to growl ease off just a little. The growl reduces considerably without noticeably affecting the rate of acceleration. Journalists so far haven’t figures this out in their haste to try and knock the transmission

4. With the 360 deg cameras you can if needed select a zoom in of each corner of the car, handy when you need to park closely to a high kerb

5. The car is bigger but I’m ok with it. However my wife is the main driver and she finds it a little on the large size hence why we are changing to the latest NX model

6. Don’t plant the throttle for a swift take off, a gently push with progressive action afterwards will take that jump away

The RX is very rewarding once you get used to how to master the different driving characteristics from a regular non hybrid auto, something that motoring journalists have never managed to appreciate or do!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sybaris said:

The aim with hybrids is to read the road ahead and brake gently so that all the energy that would have been wasted in friction heat is instead turned into electricity to charge the traction Battery. If you need to anchor on in an emergency then the hydraulic brakes come in straight away, but under normal, gentle braking, most of the stopping is done regeneratively.

Regarding the size, you've passed a driving test and you've got a driving licence so you should be able to handle it no problem. Two or three days at most and you'll be familiar with it. It's not a big car. It's only 18mm longer than a Ford Mondeo - that's less than 3/4 of an inch. I forget the exact width but I think it's only half an inch wider than the Mondeo.

In other words, it's just 'family car-sized', just like millions of other family cars on the road.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sybaris said:

The brake pedal is quite firm compared to some cars which have over-powered servos, but no problem with stopping distances.

3 hours ago, Sybaris said:

OK So Update !

Pleased you liked the car, seems you were worrying about nothing but the proper test drive was important.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Herbie said:

The aim with hybrids is to read the road ahead and brake gently so that all the energy that would have been wasted in friction heat is instead turned into electricity to charge the traction battery.

I think that is best practice for any car, harsh braking should be reserved for:

1. Motorsports
  2. Unpredictable emergency, such as a pedestrian steps out in front of you
  3. Need to improve your driving skills
  • Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links