Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just curious, how many people think its worth getting tyre insurance?

There are some 3rd party insurers such as ALA and Motoreasy (and others) that are offering tyre insurance for about £300 ish.

Now the cost of a replacement tyre is somewhere between £170 and £250 for a 235/55/r20, depending on what you have on the car.  The policies offer 3 tyres per year and run for up to 3 years.

Now you could be lucky and never have to claim, but then again who knows and in that time you could end up claiming more than once and then it pays for itself.

If you do think its worth while, who do you use and how easy was it to claim?

We all take out various insurances hoping that we'll never need to claim.

In more than 40 years of driving I've had five punctures (touching wood so as not to tempt fate) so on that record, I'd never bother with tyre insurance.

It doesn't look like it, I don't think many people go for it and just work on the probability of 1 replacement in 3 years which makes it uneconomically viable.  

Even if you get a puncture it's not always the case that the tyre will have to be replaced.

At least the RX (and I assume most other Lexus models, perhaps until recently?) has a spare wheel of some sort, even if it's just a spacesaver. The lack of one put me off buying Mazda and Subaru.

Some particular makes of tyre will have cover included. My wife had a full set of Toyos put on her Toyota by Treadfirst several years ago and she was lucky to get several replacement tyres and repairs at no cost. After a while she started having to contribute to the cost, but it worked well in her case.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

At least the RX (and I assume most other Lexus models, perhaps until recently?) has a spare wheel of some sort, even if it's just a spacesaver. The lack of one put me off buying Mazda and Subaru.

I’m with you there, Nigel.  My previous car (new Honda Accord) came with the injectable glop system, but I insisted on a SpaceSaver - or it was No Sale.

17 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Some particular makes of tyre will have cover included. My wife had a full set of Toyos put on her Toyota by Treadfirst several years ago and she was lucky to get several replacement tyres and repairs at no cost. After a while she started having to contribute to the cost, but it worked well in her case.

I may have misunderstood, but this seems to suggest a remarkably high rate of tyre failures.  Were these replacements mainly compensating for the inadequacies of the tyres?  If they were the result of accidental damage, then I can understand that a ‘contribution’ would be required.

As with any new product, a tyre will come with certain warranties and, no doubt, cover under Consumer Law.  But it may - or may not - be significant that I cannot recall any tyre retailer ever offering insurance cover for the new ones I’ve just bought.

And that, surely, would be a good time to do it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, LenT said:

I may have misunderstood, but this seems to suggest a remarkably high rate of tyre failures.  Were these replacements mainly compensating for the inadequacies of the tyres?  If they were the result of accidental damage, then I can understand that a ‘contribution’ would be required.

As with any new product, a tyre will come with certain warranties and, no doubt, cover under Consumer Law.  But it may - or may not - be significant that I cannot recall any tyre retailer ever offering insurance cover for the new ones I’ve just bought.

It was just punctures that were outside of the safe area for repair, no issues with the tyres.

• Like 2

I can't think that for one minute any insurer would offer you a product that wasn't going to make THEM money ...  Ts & Cs abounding with excesses for all sorts of contingencies I'm sure

The consumer sure won't be winning on that one methinks :whistling:

Malc

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links