Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MPG

Russ59

• 2 months later...

Hi Paul

I have never heard that and think it is highly unlikely as it delays up-changes by the gearbox which is less fuel efficient.

Give it a go and if you can give confirmation of a way of fuel saving you will be a hero on here! :clapping:🤝 🏅 

Anthony

• Like 1

I've been happy enough pootling about so far in the 'economy' mode, aware from past experience with Porsches that a big engine is liable to mean high fuel consumption. There's so much traffic in the London area that I've been content with taking things easily. This thread made me think I've been far too easily pleased and totally lacking in curiosity. I haven't had much occasion to drive on busy motorways anyway since getting behind the wheel in late August, so I wasn't being prompted to try the power setting.

I had a short trip to do today and, with this thread in mind, pressed the power switch before starting out. What a revelation! The car seems much smoother and clearly more responsive, with vastly better acceleration—much more in keeping with its looks! I don't expect to find any drop in fuel consumption, but since I don't do a lot of mileage anyway, I shall continue in power mode for a while and see how things go.

• Like 2

may be of interest ....  on my Ls400 I've rarely driven her out of PWR mode these many years past coz finding that the MPG slightly improved overall together with improved responsiveness performance too ...  smoothness of drive etc

Not the same drivetrain I know but a 4ltr nonetheless from which one might normally expect worse MPG when effectively being put thru her paces rather than in ECON mode

PWR all the way these days  👍

Malc

• Like 2

Hi Ken, if you want to really make the car come alive you can fit an electronic throttle controller which totally transforms the car. It has lots of settings at the push of a button and a display ranging from economy through to normal then 3 sport settings which have 3 increments. I generally use normal or the highest sport setting depending on my mood. You need to get used to the highest setting though as it is very acute. I fitted an SC430mods one but they are all generally made in China so you can save money if you buy direct from China. I don’t find much difference in MPG but I don’t do many miles.

• Like 2

I find it interesting considering the size of the SC430 engine how fuel efficient it is. When I had my BMW Z3M coupe I never got anywhere near the SC’s MPG. That was with a smaller 3 litre straight six engine with slightly more power but almost a third lighter in weight. Even the 330d and 335d I had were not that great never mind the M50d considering they were all diesel’s I think the SC is a remarkable achievement.

• Like 3

Hi Glyn

Besides the engine it was such an advanced car when it was introduced.

Thinking of how complex, efficient and reliable the hardtop is. Then the ML unit and changer, how it can display the album and track names which was way ahead of its time. At that time, the rest of the fantastic things it had could only be found in a top of the range, executive vehicle from a prestige manufacturer.

It is tantamount to Lexus that the reliability they build into their vehicles is still holding up well some 20 years on, when other cars have lost their reliability and are riddled with problems.

Thank you Lexus for giving us the SC430!

Anthony 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Glyn Jennings said:

I find it interesting considering the size of the SC430 engine how fuel efficient it is. When I had my BMW Z3M coupe I never got anywhere near the SC’s MPG. That was with a smaller 3 litre straight six engine with slightly more power but almost a third lighter in weight. Even the 330d and 335d I had were not that great never mind the M50d considering they were all diesel’s I think the SC is a remarkable achievement.

I sold my BMW 3 litre Z4 to get the SC430

I was happy with the fuel in that, pottering about I would get 27/28 mpg and on a run it was giving upto 43mpg and I know other Z4 owners achieving the same.

Perhaps it’s the M factor. The longest journey I took in the Z3M was to Amsterdam so nearly all motorway and that averaged out at 29 MPG. Round town it was about 23 MPG.  One thing which I think is an unfair criticism of the SC is the 0-60 MPH time of 6 seconds which is none to shabby compared to the BMW’s I have owed which were between 5.5 - 6 seconds without any criticism. I think a lot of motoring journalists just look down on Lexus because it’s Japanese who make a lot of low budget cars so it doesn’t carry the prestige badge like BMW, Audi and Mercedes to them even though it may be a better car in the eyes of owners who don’t just drive them for a couple of days.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Glyn Jennings said:

Perhaps it’s the M factor. The longest journey I took in the Z3M was to Amsterdam so nearly all motorway and that averaged out at 29 MPG. Round town it was about 23 MPG.  One thing which I think is an unfair criticism of the SC is the 0-60 MPH time of 6 seconds which is none to shabby compared to the BMW’s I have owed which were between 5.5 - 6 seconds without any criticism. I think a lot of motoring journalists just look down on Lexus because it’s Japanese who make a lot of low budget cars so it doesn’t carry the prestige badge like BMW, Audi and Mercedes to them even though it may be a better car in the eyes of owners who don’t just drive them for a couple of days.

Well said Sir !

I find that criticism of Lexus by a Journalist who has never owned a Lexus is not worth the paper it is written on.

And criticsm of Lexus by an owner who has never had one before suggests to me that he has not done his homework or due diligence before buying.

And criticsm of Lexus by someone who has it as a Company Car has it as a way of reducing his Benefit in Kind and his moans concern that it is not as good as his Audi/BMW or Mercedes was.

But criticism of Lexus by a seasoned owner for several years of a Lexus is something I value.

• Like 4

Using the power button certainly improves the performance, its response is quicker and remains in gears longer which makes for a more spirited drive. That's the good news!

It is with dismay that I have to report my MPG has gone down from 17.2 to 14.5 over just shy of 100 miles. :sad:

All the milage was local, up and down hills, odd short flat fast straight sections, pretty much the norm for me.

I will continue the test for the remainder of my tankful and report back again. 

Anthony

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lexiguy said:

I will continue the test for the remainder of my tankful and report back again. 

We'll contribute to the " poor box "  

Malc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ken Timbers said:

Anthony,  how do you calculate your mpg? I know how to do it theoretically, but that involves getting accurate fuel consumption—not easy unless you've got a widget that tells you what you've used?

Ken,

I replied to your message you sent me👍

Russ

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ken Timbers said:

Anthony,  how do you calculate your mpg? I know how to do it theoretically, but that involves getting accurate fuel consumption—not easy unless you've got a widget that tells you what you've used?

I am just using on the MPG on the LED display above the radio unit.

• Like 1

Many thanks to both Russ and Anthony—especially Russ, who described exactly where to find the relevant info! I'm all set now to find out what the consumption is like. It can't be worse than my Porsche 928S4, which was usually around 16 mpg, and I ran that happily for some seven years. That alone probably defines me as a petrolhead!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 10/15/2022 at 12:36 PM, Ken Timbers said:

Many thanks to both Russ and Anthony—especially Russ, who described exactly where to find the relevant info! I'm all set now to find out what the consumption is like. It can't be worse than my Porsche 928S4, which was usually around 16 mpg, and I ran that happily for some seven years. That alone probably defines me as a petrolhead!

So that means I qualify and a petrolhead! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lexiguy said:

Hi John 

It would appear that it is more than likely that the MPG recorded could be flawed!

IMG-20221016-WA0002.thumb.jpg.2b0bbac23b8867cba2d63cbf91db3521.jpg

Ant,I would not worry if the mechanism is flawed or not, I would just perform the Brim to Brim test monthly or quarterly and use the results as the definitive result.

But then, I can be considered a cantakerous and cynical old sod.🤣🤣 

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links