Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Instrument Cluster Variations

Hi All

New owner and first post.

I've recently bought a 1997 UCF20 which has the issue with the speedo where it flickers to life briefly when the ignition is switched on then remains blacked out. The speedo and gauges all work but I just cant see them. Now this is not my first rodeo with old Japanese cars and I can see from reading what I can find they suffer from capacitor issues so at the time of buying I thought id just pick up a working replacement gauge cluster and stick it in, but turns out (after I bought a speedo from a 1995) the 1997 model has a different set of middle pin connectors to the rest in the range so that has proved fruitless. Also noticed that when I was removing the speedo I'm not the first person to have been in there as there are screws missing so obviously someone has tried this before. 

So to the point of my ramblings, it looks like me best bet would be to have the speedo in the car repaired as i cant find one with the same connections so question is, who would you recommend to refurb these?

Picture for reference, mine is number 2, number 1 is from a 1995.

Speedo.jpg

5 minutes ago, Razor61 said:

Cartronix maybe:     https://cartronix.co.uk/
Or Sinspeed:            https://www.sinspeed.co.uk/lexus-ls400-instrument-cluster-repair/

By the way, is your car the 'Sumo' car that was on Number27 YouTube channel?

It would seem after a quick google that it is yes lol. 

You could try the link below and see if they have the correct cluster.
I bought a wing mirror for my 1998 LS, just for the glass, they have a lot of stuff.
Maybe send them a picture of the one you want, they are very helpful.

http://www.lexusbreakers.co.uk/contact-lexus-breakers/

23 minutes ago, BigBoomer said:

Welcome Mark :clap:
So, you have Sumo. Nice car,.... apart from the instrument cluster. Hopefully you can find a good one.

Thank you, cool to have such an infamous car 🤣 I have a feeling it could be a long wait for a working speedo lol. 

I found there were many variations when trying to source a replacement for my 1996 LS400. What is the full part number on the label? I have a spare that you might be able to use for parts.

The label on mine has been rubbed through but this bag of bits came it the boot with the car and the board has the same connections so I assume it’s the same part number, watching the YouTube video i can see someone sent him bits before and there has already been an attempt to repair the cluster which was unsuccessful. 

B3B399B8-730B-454D-B72E-024C69FA1CD5.jpeg

I think you’ll find there isn’t a part number for the complete cluster, I asked Lexus Bolton about this and they said there isn’t one.
There are part numbers but they are for the components i.e. for the plastic covers.

Part number on the main board is the key of course but the cluster needs to be dismantled to get it. Amayama lists 3 main boards for various production periods. If you get the actual production date you can figure out which main board is installed, finding a replacement though is the difficult bit………

Since the gauges actually work, and since getting a spare one seems to be nigh on impossible, wouldn't just wiring up some LEDs in the back to an ignition live feed to provide the needed backlighting work?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, peniole said:

Since the gauges actually work, and since getting a spare one seems to be nigh on impossible, wouldn't just wiring up some LEDs in the back to an ignition live feed to provide the needed backlighting work?

If all else fails this seems as good an idea as any, I will be leaving it into a friends electronic repair shop next week.....fingers crossed. 

1 hour ago, MTKelly said:

electronic repair shop next week.

Mark, previous posts about these speedo issues reveal a company in Kent that I'm going to use sometime ...  when my speedo finally stops messing about and stops completely tho' 

Reman . in Rochester Kent .  might be worth contacting them for their thoughts .  bearing in mind you're a long way away 

Malc

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links