Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Column Screw Caps

SRVO

Do these exist? It doesn't seem very 'Lexus-y' to have exposed screws on the steering column. There also appears to be a little hole for a potential screw-cap to clip into (see photos). However, I've searched the internet and cannot find any reference to screw caps for the steering wheel. Is my car missing these or are all CTs like this?

20220727_114849.jpg

20220727_114910.jpg

36 minutes ago, PDM said:

Every Lexus we have owned/driven has these exposed screws!  (Including the CT).

Paul 

Thanks Paul. My wife has a Toyota which also has exposed screws, so I suspected that might be the case! I wish I hadn't noticed them because it will bug me now 😄

5 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Still have not seen mine. Wonder if I will notice next time I come in the car.

now you know they are there.....!

The one we have seems to have all the extras. Went down to the garage and took a look. Seems there should be a clip or covering as there is a little hole that could serve to hold a covering, but no. Screw is visible.

Mine has the same and from time to time this annoys me.

Always thought it strange they aren't covered but assumed the reason was it's something to do with the airbag inflating could potentially cause a cover to fly off and could be hazardous.

Not covered on my GS300h. Never noticed before but maybe that’s because I don’t look at the steering wheel when driving and never noticed when cleaning. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 8:09 AM, cruisermark said:

In the ls430 they are exposed - but tbh don't ever notice them

I think it's fair to say if the LS and LC doesn't have caps then none of the lower models will either.

image.thumb.png.c99cd39c0fb880caf2663e177c23e06b.png

Certainly none of my Lexus vehicles have had caps - just found some photos of my 1998 GS300 and 2001 GS430 and they are all exposed and I'm quite sure my 2016 GS F was too.

Surely they’re only exposed when doing tight turns when ones observation should be outside the vehicle or when cleaning the car. Hardly a problem compared to others we’re currently experiencing!

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 10:43 PM, Ala Larj said:

Surely they’re only exposed when doing tight turns when ones observation should be outside the vehicle or when cleaning the car. Hardly a problem compared to others we’re currently experiencing!

Definitely not a problem, just an observation. I only notice it if I'm stopped at a junction and about to turn, or if I'm parking. Just thought it was weird that they are exposed considering the attention to detail everywhere else in the car. I'm sure there must be a reason for it though.

• Like 1

Probably a simple cost-cutting exercise. Manufacturers are always looking to cut costs (and save weight) in their cars. It would cost a certain amount of money to design and produce the small screw caps needed.

It could probably be whittled down to a few pence, especially if they were produced to be one size fits all. But  when you (TOYOTA) are making over 10m cars a year, that'll be a sizable sum to spend each year on something that most people don't notice.

A more visible form of "cheapness" to me are things like door and boot hinges. Compare between 2nd-Gen and 3rd-Gen IS models, and they are exposed on the newer car, and in the case of the boot, intrude into the loadspace. Older car has them covered-up.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links