Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nextbase offer

Nextbase Front and Rear Fully fitted  for only £299 Normal RRP price of £395. Just nipped into my dealership and placed an order for the dash-cam. I have been told my new NX 350h is on the ship. Order placed 27/07/21 

3 minutes ago, Marlinleg said:

Nextbase Front and Rear Fully fitted  for only £299 Normal RRP price of £395. Just nipped into my dealership and placed an order for the dash-cam. I have been told my new NX 350h is on the ship. Order placed 27/07/21 

£299 is great value, I will get the same.

How did you manage to order last July? I thought that orders were only open from 1st Sept 21.

I decided not to go for the Nextbase cameras so just spent the morning taking front & rear Thinkware F770 cameras out of my RX. Now for the task of getting the wire from camera to camera through the NX early next week.

Thinkware now do an easy install lead for power which negates the need to tap in to the fuse box with piggy back fuses. Just one lead from the front camera which has a connector to the OBD2 port to pick up switched supply, constant supply and earth. Just unplug it if you want to run diagnostics. 
Pity the rear cameras aren’t wireless although I suspect the routing of the wire on the NX will be very similar to the RX which, once you’ve figured it out, isn’t too bad to do.

3 hours ago, RXtoNX said:

I decided not to go for the Nextbase cameras so just spent the morning taking front & rear Thinkware F770 cameras out of my RX. Now for the task of getting the wire from camera to camera through the NX early next week.

Thinkware now do an easy install lead for power which negates the need to tap in to the fuse box with piggy back fuses. Just one lead from the front camera which has a connector to the OBD2 port to pick up switched supply, constant supply and earth. Just unplug it if you want to run diagnostics. 
Pity the rear cameras aren’t wireless although I suspect the routing of the wire on the NX will be very similar to the RX which, once you’ve figured it out, isn’t too bad to do.

How sure are you about the OBD2 connector? When I google the wiring plan I see 16 pins including an earth (pin 4) and permanent (ie unswitched) live (pin 16) but I don't see a switched supply.  Seven pins are designated make/model specific so I presume a switched supply is therefore possible but is this true for the Lexus?

Both the Nextbase and Thinkware dash cams appear to offer shut down if Battery voltage drops below a pre-set level but the Nextbase still recommends connecting to a switched supply; thereby ruling out the OBD2 connector.

20 minutes ago, Harrier Man said:

How sure are you about the OBD2 connector? When I google the wiring plan I see 16 pins including an earth (pin 4) and permanent (ie unswitched) live (pin 16) but I don't see a switched supply.  .

I’ll let you know next week👍. The reason that Nextbase & Thinkware state connect to a switched supply is because if only connected to a permanent live the camera may go in to parking mode whilst driving on some cars.
You are correct in what you are saying but, if I read things correctly, the OBD2 connector lead incorporates a module to get around this. I will of course test that it works ok before I go through the process of hiding the wires. Also I know that scan tools will only work with the ignition on.

There are some suggestions on the web that such a connector won’t work well on a hybrid car whilst others refute this

My wife has an MX5 and it is virtually impossible to locate a permanent live to enable parking mode so, if the OBD2 lead doesn’t work in the Lexus, I will use it on the MX5.

17 hours ago, Marlinleg said:

Hi there, 

My Lexus dealership is asking me £375.00,so each Dealers probably have their own prices, my 350H ordered in Feb 22 is coming Jan 23 

50 minutes ago, S Dhuper said:

Hi there, 

My Lexus dealership is asking me £375.00,so each Dealers probably have their own prices, my 350H ordered in Feb 22 is coming Jan 23 

Same here, £375, hence why I decided to remove & re-install my preferred dashcam

16 hours ago, RXtoNX said:

Just one lead from the front camera which has a connector to the OBD2 port to pick up switched supply, constant supply and earth.

Hmm...

I've never been a fan of connecting anything to the OBD connector except on an 'as and when necessary' basis. It's possible that one failure mode of the camera may be that it presents a short circuit to the OBD connector.

I don't know if the power lines going into the connector have fuses on them or where they would be located in case they need to be replaced, but IMHO, it's better to stick with a piggyback in the fuse box.

3 hours ago, Herbie said:

It's possible that one failure mode of the camera may be that it presents a short circuit to the OBD connector.

Why would it, please explain?

Camera will have an in line 1.5 amp fuse and the power output of an OBD is 4 amp so how would the camera cause a short circuit in the OBD. I’ve had a scan gauge plugged in to the OBD2 connector for the past 7 years on a Lotus.

I remember 10 years ago some people were not a fan of connecting a dashcam to the fuse box, arguing that it is safer just to use plug in to the accessory socket.

It may not work in the Lexus anyway since such a connector works on some hybrids and not others. We’ll wait & see, if it doesn’t then I’ll be using the now universal accepted method and the wife’s MX5, which I know it will work on, will finally be able to use parking mode.

32 minutes ago, RXtoNX said:

Why would it, please explain?

I'm not an electronics engineer so I have no idea why, I just know that things can fail open or short.

34 minutes ago, RXtoNX said:

Camera will have an in line 1.5 amp fuse

I must have missed that.

3 hours ago, RXtoNX said:

It may not work in the Lexus anyway since such a connector works on some hybrids and not others

There is nothing specific about hybrids. The whole point of the OBDII port is it is a standard. Saying that there are different protocols in use and some pins are optional/vendor specific.

Sounds like the lead is using one of the signal pins to identity when the vehicle is switched on and creates its own switched power signal - I guess that is where some of the incompatibility comes from.

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

There is nothing specific about hybrids. The whole point of the OBDII port is it is a standard. Saying that there are different protocols in use and some pins are optional/vendor specific.

Sounds like the lead is using one of the signal pins to identity when the vehicle is switched on and creates its own switched power signal - I guess that is where some of the incompatibility comes from.

Spot on Colin 👍 one ot two of the pins are only live with the ignition switched on.

It definitely won’t work on full electric vehicles since I think the signal recognises the alternator charging, which is possibly why some say that it doesn’t with hybrids - presumably when they switch to EV mode. Others say not a problem so I guess I’ll find out if it is compatible with a Lexus 🤔

21 minutes ago, RXtoNX said:

Spot on Colin 👍 one ot two of the pins are only live with the ignition switched on.

It definitely won’t work on full electric vehicles since I think the signal recognises the alternator charging, which is possibly why some say that it doesn’t with hybrids - presumably when they switch to EV mode. Others say not a problem so I guess I’ll find out if it is compatible with a Lexus 🤔

Actually that sounds like they are monitoring the permanent 12v feed and waiting for it to jump up above 13v when the engine is running and Battery is being charged. In which case it should work fine with a Toyota/Lexus hybrid as that will occur as soon as the vehicle is put into 'Ready' mode. It would work with some full electric vehicles too as they have 12v batteries that get charged when the vehicle is woken up.

42 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Actually that sounds like they are monitoring the permanent 12v feed and waiting for it to jump up above 13v when the engine is running and battery is being charged. In which case it should work fine with a Toyota/Lexus hybrid as that will occur as soon as the vehicle is put into 'Ready' mode. It would work with some full electric vehicles too as they have 12v batteries that get charged when the vehicle is woken up.

All sounds very logical Colin. I think the only ‘fly in the ointment,’ and probably why some makes/models appear to be incompatible, is that whilst certain pins in the OBD are common across the industry there are certain pins (1,3,8,9,11,12,13) that are what is called ‘vendor defined options’

All will be revealed next week, looking forward to testing it no matter what the result.

On 7/28/2022 at 6:15 PM, RXtoNX said:

I've got a thinkware F800, was in my previous Volvo V60, connected to the OBD port with no issues. Have you run the wire to the rear camera, any tips ?

Cheers

1 hour ago, Addh said:

I've got a thinkware F800, was in my previous Volvo V60, connected to the OBD port with no issues. Have you run the wire to the rear camera, any tips ?

Cheers

Ran the wire to the rear camera yesterday, OBD connector arrived this morning so will be trying that later this afternoon.

Getting the wore through to the rear was easier than I thought it would be, helped by having already done it once on the RX but the obstacles in the NX were easier to get around.

Tips as follows, you will need some plastic trim removers including the ones to ease off those pesky Xmas tree fasteners:

• Start from the rear of the vehicle with the aim of getting the wire to the front. The rear camera connector is too bulky to try to take from front to rear. I ran it down the passenger side just in case the OBD connector didn’t work f I needed to access the fuse box, but I guess it will be similar on the drivers side.
  • Release the top of the rear side upper 3/4 panel
  • Pop off the top middle section tailgate trim. This was the worse part of the job, it was really tight and not as solid a plastic trim panel as in the RX,
  • Pull off the rubber trim for as far as needed and run the cable in the gap between headliner and tailgate surround leaving enough to connect through the plastic panel to the camera.
  • push back on the rubber trim. The cable will loop around the metal and rubber but I cut a small 5mm bit out of the bottom of the rubber trim to help it not flatten or rub on the metal
  • press back on the plastic rear panel. The wire will trap inside it ok
  • Touch the wire along the top edge of the 3/4 panel trim
  • pull off the rubber on the rear passenger door
  • You will see that there is enough gap to run the wire down to the plastic sill trim.
  • Pull off the plastic sill trims front & rear.
  • Run the wire along the rest of the cables covered by the sill trims
  • It gets tricky by the joining piece between the sill trims but gently lifting the edge with the one off plastic trim tools will allow the wire to be tucked in the space under
  • Take off the trim front of the front sill trim and the side dash trim.
  • You can then run the wire up to the top of the dash and by the A pillar trim
  • Ease back (not off) the A pillar trim from the windscreen side taking care not to pull it off completely. Both front & back of the A pillar trim will need to be eased off.
  • You can then run the wire inside the A pillar trim windscreen side so as not to interfere with the air bag.
  • Then along the top of the windscreen tucked in to the headlining to front camera location.
  • Press back all trim pieces after securing wire where needed to stop it rattling against anything.

It all sounds complex but was really pretty easy, just a bit of patience & persuasion needed.

Hope this helps.

Front & rear cameras both fitted, no wires visible except for attachments to cameras and the ODB2 connector, as far as I have tested it, works fine.

Ignition on and continuous recording & gps both start, ignition off and camera goes in to parking mode after a short period. Just need to test it properly now during a reasonable drive.

56 minutes ago, Addh said:

Thanks,  very helpful - I'll give it a go 

BTW, I always attach the front camera to the flat part of the plastic cover behind the mirror. Keeps it out of the way & still record fine

5 hours ago, RXtoNX said:

Ran the wire to the rear camera yesterday, ODB connector arrived this morning so will be trying that later this afternoon.

Getting the wore through to the rear was easier than I thought it would be, helped by having already done it once on the RX but the obstacles in the NX were easier to get around.

Tips as follows, you will need some plastic trim removers including the ones to ease off those pesky Xmas tree fasteners:

• Start from the rear of the vehicle with the aim of getting the wire to the front. The rear camera connector is too bulky to try to take from front to rear. I ran it down the passenger side just in case the odb connector didn’t work f I needed to access the fuse box, but I guess it will be similar on the drivers side.
  • Release the top of the rear side upper 3/4 panel
  • Pop off the top middle section tailgate trim. This was the worse part of the job, it was really tight and not as solid a plastic trim panel as in the RX,
  • Pull off the rubber trim for as far as needed and run the cable in the gap between headliner and tailgate surround leaving enough to connect through the plastic panel to the camera.
  • push back on the rubber trim. The cable will loop around the metal and rubber but I cut a small 5mm bit out of the bottom of the rubber trim to help it not flatten or rub on the metal
  • press back on the plastic rear panel. The wire will trap inside it ok
  • Touch the wire along the top edge of the 3/4 panel trim
  • pull off the rubber on the rear passenger door
  • You will see that there is enough gap to run the wire down to the plastic sill trim.
  • Pull off the plastic sill trims front & rear.
  • Run the wire along the rest of the cables covered by the sill trims
  • It gets tricky by the joining piece between the sill trims but gently lifting the edge with the one off plastic trim tools will allow the wire to be tucked in the space under
  • Take off the trim front of the front sill trim and the side dash trim.
  • You can then run the wire up to the top of the dash and by the A pillar trim
  • Ease back (not off) the A pillar trim from the windscreen side taking care not to pull it off completely. Both front & back of the A pillar trim will need to be eased off.
  • You can then run the wire inside the A pillar trim windscreen side so as not to interfere with the air bag.
  • Then along the top of the windscreen tucked in to the headlining to front camera location.
  • Press back all trim pieces after securing wire where needed to stop it rattling against anything.

It all sounds complex but was really pretty easy, just a bit of patience & persuasion needed.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks Paul, really useful info. Do you have any photos by chance?

2 minutes ago, Harrier Man said:

Many thanks Paul, really useful info. Do you have any photos by chance?

Of the installation? I don’t I’m afraid, never gave it a thought 🙄

It’s not really difficult, easier than it was on the RX, just that centre tailgate trim that was a pain in the wotsit 

19 hours ago, RXtoNX said:

BTW, I always attach the front camera to the flat part of the plastic cover behind the mirror. Keeps it out of the way & still record fine

Was thinking the same, had it at the top of the glass last time and didn't like being able to see it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links