Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wireless Android Auto

36 minutes ago, george72 said:

I am at a loss as to why you cant get wireless AA on Lexus- Wires are a real faff (1st world problems i know!) - sat in a friends NX450h today with apple car play and it was absolutely flawless without wires!

Really dont want to move to IOS, but may have to if Lexus confirm that there is no ETA on wireless  AA 

Why don't you read the thread above and buy an AAWireless dongle.It will save you paying for an overpriced I phone and the hassle of changing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, george72 said:

The dilemma is that I could get this device and face a fast drain on battery and no display on hud. 

Wheras the iPhone is wireless with apple maps displaying on hud

I would imagine that using wireless apple CarPlay will also have a detrimental effect on the Iphone Battery life similar to wireless Android Auto on an Android phone.

I agree with you though on the lack of directions in the HUD when using Google Maps but that's not enough to make me consider switching to the dark side 😄

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 3:47 PM, DavidCM said:

Why don't you read the thread above and buy an AAWireless dongle.It will save you paying for an overpriced I phone and the hassle of changing.

Or move to the US where I believe it's already available along with other features that for some reason Lexus don't want to "switch on" for UK\European Owners...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bgb said:

Or move to the US where I believe it's already available along with other features that for some reason Lexus don't want to "switch on" for UK\European Owners...

I'm not sure if it's been explained, but why can't it be done here if it can be done there?  Is there some technical difference?

9 minutes ago, Simon F said:

I'm not sure if it's been explained, but why can't it be done here if it can be done there?  Is there some technical difference?

Politics… Europe is not a priority for Lexus. 

7 minutes ago, Simon F said:

Some differences in functionality can be explained by differences in legislation between Europe and USA. I don't think that's the case here but someone, somewhere suggested it could be a licensing issue. Seems plausible.

46 minutes ago, Harrier Man said:

Some differences in functionality can be explained by differences in legislation between Europe and USA. I don't think that's the case here but someone, somewhere suggested it could be a licensing issue. Seems plausible.

Thanks.  Yes, that would make sense I think.

2 hours ago, Harrier Man said:

A big part of the issue comes down wireless certification and approvals.  USA and Europe Radio Frequency bands for given functions are similar but not always the same. The processes and procedures to get qualified and ultimately have the products certified for release in the respective regions takes time and the procedures are very different in each region.  Market size and politics is a big factor in manufacturer prioritisation. It is also generally accepted that the FCC (North America) certification is easier to obtain compared to EU certification.  The EU certification is a consolidation of the approvals that were present in each EU member state prior to the formation of the EEC,  hence it is much more detailed and even considerred far more bureaucratic.  This applies to all equipment using the major frequency bands Bluetooth, Zigbee, RF4CE, DECT, WiFi, 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G etc.  I guess Lexus may be stuck in a the quagmire of EU bureaucracy and approvals testing.

19 hours ago, Hillie said:

A big part of the issue comes down wireless certification and approvals.  USA and Europe Radio Frequency bands for given functions are similar but not always the same. The processes and procedures to get qualified and ultimately have the products certified for release in the respective regions takes time and the procedures are very different in each region.  Market size and politics is a big factor in manufacturer prioritisation. It is also generally accepted that the FCC (North America) certification is easier to obtain compared to EU certification.  The EU certification is a consolidation of the approvals that were present in each EU member state prior to the formation of the EEC,  hence it is much more detailed and even considerred far more bureaucratic.  This applies to all equipment using the major frequency bands BlueTooth, Zigbee, RF4CE, DECT, WiFi, 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G etc.  I guess Lexus may be stuck in a the quagmire of EU bureaucracy and approvals testing.

That does provide a plausible explanation, thanks, tho it's still frustrating!

23 hours ago, Hillie said:

A big part of the issue comes down wireless certification and approvals.  USA and Europe Radio Frequency bands for given functions are similar but not always the same. The processes and procedures to get qualified and ultimately have the products certified for release in the respective regions takes time and the procedures are very different in each region.  Market size and politics is a big factor in manufacturer prioritisation. It is also generally accepted that the FCC (North America) certification is easier to obtain compared to EU certification.  The EU certification is a consolidation of the approvals that were present in each EU member state prior to the formation of the EEC,  hence it is much more detailed and even considerred far more bureaucratic.  This applies to all equipment using the major frequency bands BlueTooth, Zigbee, RF4CE, DECT, WiFi, 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G etc.  I guess Lexus may be stuck in a the quagmire of EU bureaucracy and approvals testing.

Didn't we leave the EU?  I'm sure I saw something about it on the news a couple of years ago 😉

• Haha 3

I recall watching Aussie based reviews of the new NX and they had wired only Carplay too, so not just an Android/UK/EU issue.  That said, I find my wireless Android Auto on my new Audi A3 as pain in the back side most times (pot luck which phone it connects to and Spotify regularly fails to load). 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links