Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wireless Android Auto

In case of interest I just installed an AA wireless adaptor - seems to work well. The adaptor is small enough to fit in the slot above the USB ports and connects in about 10-15 seconds. (I already had the short cable with right angled connectors, from amazon, to make it neater when plugging the phone in)

I had read that they are difficult to get hold of but ordered it Last Tuesday night and it was delivered yesterday. Cost was $89 + $35 for UPS express shipping. Although a US company they ship from Hong Kong for European orders.  https://shop.aawireless.io/

Only issue when first tried it was an error message saying the car clock didn't match the Android device clock (phone is a Samsung A52). You have to have to download the AAwireless app and enable by-pass mode. Apparently this means some app features don't work but nothing that affects the basic operation of connecting to the car and using AA as if it was plugged in.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

20220802_142112.jpg

Hi @addh I was one of the early backers for this device quite a while ago and can wholeheartedly recommend it too. 

Do you have a link for the short cable that you are using with it please as this would definitely make my setup a lot tidier?

Thanks. 

Would either of you know if this works with the Lexus trackpad ?

I recently bought a similar device from Carlinkit,but whilst it did connect wirelessly,it didn,t respond to the trackpad,so it,s back on a slow boat to China.

The photos show much more info on the screen than the Carlinkit.

Excuse my ignorance but what are the advantages of wireless android auto when you still need something (the adaptor) plugged in? I get that you could keep your phone in your pocket instead of sitting in the tray but are there other benefits?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Harrier Man said:

Excuse my ignorance but what are the advantages of wireless android auto when you still need something (the adaptor) plugged in? I get that you could keep your phone in your pocket instead of sitting in the tray but are there other benefits?

It's mainly for the convenience of not having to connect your phone to a USB cable everytime. Another advantage is that it helps to avoid any potential damage to the USB port on the phone from constant plugging in and out. 

Conversely it does have its disadvantages - higher than normal Battery drain and the phone can get quite warm. 

34 minutes ago, DavidCM said:

Would either of you know if this works with the Lexus trackpad ?

I recently bought a similar device from Carlinkit,but whilst it did connect wirelessly,it didn,t respond to the trackpad,so it,s back on a slow boat to China.

The photos show much more info on the screen than the Carlinkit.

I'm not exactly sure what the Carlinkit device offers but just to say the AAWireless device allows existing wired Android Auto (AA) functionality to become wireless (i.e. no need to connect the phone to a USB cable to run AA). If your car's headunit supports AA already then this device should work. I had it working fine on my previous (2018) NX with the touchpad. 

Please note that it doesn't make a non- AA headunit into one that supports AA.

Hope this helps. 

1 hour ago, Harrier Man said:

Probably mainly laziness, easier than fishing the phone out of my bag but obviously you'd still need the phone out if it needs charging. Generally I'm doing short journeys so don't need to charge it. Carplay works wirelessly so just allows Android to work the same way. 

I remember my dealership or someone in the forum mentioning there will be an update for wireless android auto by end of the year. Does anyone know is still happening? 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KoeNX said:

I remember my dealership or someone in the forum mentioning there will be an update for wireless android auto by end of the year. Does anyone know is still happening? 

My dealer advised me last month that there were still expecting wireless andriod auto to be deloyed in Q4 this year via OTA updates.  Given the Lexus record on delivery dates right now I am not holding my breath.

Thank you Andy.

The Carlinkit promised similar,but failed to deliver so I,ve sent it back to them.My RC 2020 is AA compatible,so if this works with the infamous Lexus trackpad/touchpad,the it may well suit me.

Thanks.

David.

David, I may be able to answer this for you. 

Due to the multiple combinations of Android phones and AA-compatible car headunits out there, the developers of the device had to offer a number of different configuration options to get the device to work with the vast majority of phone\headunit combinations. These options are configurable via the associated Android app that runs on the phone and include the ability to change the size (DPI - dots per inch) or shape of the AA display on the car's screen; the WiFi channel the device connects to the phone on and other settings that are highly specific to certain car manufacturers whose implementation of AA has been problematic for the AAWireless device (not Lexus I am pleased to report). The app also allows for these options to be ignored completely and for the device to work in "vanilla" mode, i.e. for AA to function in exactly the same way as if it was wired (i.e. no bells and whistles applied by the device itself). This is what Adam referred to as bypass mode (known as Passthrough mode in the settings). This is the setting I have on my device for my Lexus headunit (and I believe so does Adam) and it works fine. 

Long story short - you should not notice any difference in AA functionality using the device compared to a wired connection. 

28 minutes ago, Andy B said:

David, I may be able to answer this for you. 

Due to the multiple combinations of Android phones and AA-compatible car headunits out there, the developers of the device had to offer a number of different configuration options to get the device to work with the vast majority of phone\headunit combinations. These options are configurable via the associated Android app that runs on the phone and include the ability to change the size (DPI - dots per inch) or shape of the AA display on the car's screen; the WiFi channel the device connects to the phone on and other settings that are highly specific to certain car manufacturers whose implementation of AA has been problematic for the AAWireless device (not Lexus I am pleased to report). The app also allows for these options to be ignored completely and for the device to work in "vanilla" mode, i.e. for AA to function in exactly the same way as if it was wired (i.e. no bells and whistles applied by the device itself). This is what Adam referred to as bypass mode (known as Passthrough mode in the settings). This is the setting I have on my device for my Lexus headunit (and I believe so does Adam) and it works fine. 

Long story short - you should not notice any difference in AA functionality using the device compared to a wired 

As Andy said but more in depth than my answer would have been ! Works fine in pass through mode (that's what I meant to say). The other settings (features) in the app which are disabled in this mode aren't needed.

Hi Guys - thinking about ordering this device. Quick question - when connected to AAWireless, is the route projected in the HUD?

Thanks in advance

Vira

13 minutes ago, Vira said:

Hi Guys - thinking about ordering this device. Quick question - when connected to AAWireless, is the route projected in the HUD?

Thanks in advance

Vira

Unfortunately not I'm afraid. Not with Android Auto (wired or wireless) with Google Maps. Not yet anyway. Maybe Lexus will activate this with a future software upgrade. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Addh and Andy B for your advice and help on Android auto.

I ordered the AAWireless dongle and it arrived about 10 days later on their standard delivery.

It works perfectly.What a contrast with Carlinkit.AAWireless read and understood my email and responded promptly.Their product did exactly what they said it would..top marks to them.

Carlinkit,meanwhile have acknowledged receipt of their faulty/part working product ,but 10 days later,still no sign of a refund.Avoid them like the plague!

Incidentally,they asked me for a review to which I replied I was waiting a response to my 2 emails about their product not working properly.Then another request for a review so I gave them one.Needless to say it was not very complimentary.The review appeared immediately on their website but disappeared within minutes and the site claimed 100 percent 5* reviews.

I thought it was time to return it.

• Like 3

I have now installed 2 AAWireless units (my brother's and mine) and both have worked flawlessly with installation taking less than 5 minutes.

In fact, I am about to order a 3rd as my wife's new car isn't going to have wireless AA as standard.

• Like 2

Picked up my new NX today and getting this going was a breeze... Had the time/GPS error message as forgotten about the app but after installing it and applying an update to the device, it automatically switched modes and so just connected...

• 4 months later...
On 8/2/2022 at 8:16 PM, KoeNX said:

Apparently not 😉

I am at a loss as to why you cant get wireless AA on Lexus- Wires are a real faff (1st world problems i know!) - sat in a friends NX450h today with apple car play and it was absolutely flawless without wires!

Really dont want to move to IOS, but may have to if Lexus confirm that there is no ETA on wireless  AA 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links