Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

First Long Trip in the RX

A very nice drive down to The Nare hotel in Cornwall.

Overall took 5hrs to do the 220 miles, including a 45min lunch stop.

Well, what a car, supremely comfortable (not that the RC was uncomfortable) and very quiet, noticeably quieter than the RC. Definitely more punch than the RC and very easy to, erm, make progress! Trip computer was showing a very acceptable 37mpg, dipping to the low 30's when pushing on. My first RC could only just manage that, the second easily reaching the mid 40's.

The ride is very compliant, I had it on the Sport setting and we just glided along, the RC would be a little jittery nothing unpleasant and in keeping with it's sportier character. The car was very stable at speed, indeed it seems even more 'relaxed' at motorway speeds (although we used the A303, I don't like the motorways, too boring and no easy diversions should one need to!) wind and road noise very subdued. Even around the narrow Cornish lanes the car was nibble and easy to direct, the suspension handled sudden changes in direction without undue roll. The door mirrors were brushing the hedgerows on more than one occasion!

The climate concierge is another notable step up in comfort, with the system automatically switching on the ventilated seats, keeping one's back and derriere cool and sweat free. How does the system know when to switch them on, no idea but works a treat. Not sure if the temperature sensor needs calibrating or I'm getting old but my usual 20c was feeling chilly so I upped a degree and all was well. The system definitely reacts to sun direction, increasing airflow to the side of the car in the sun.

The seats themselves are very supportive and comfortable, very similar in design to the RC. The higher seating position is great and it's almost like sitting in one's favourite armchair, with a good view!

All-in-all not a bad first outing, quite looking forward to the drive home.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

An interesting report Peter.

I`ll be very inteested to read the comments from Herbie when he looks to see the cost of overnight accommodation at the Nare Hotel.

Worth every penny and that's from someone who regularly stays at Burgh Island. Must admit I miss the black tie dinner. That said the staff here are very attentive without being intrusive, first class 👍

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Worth every penny and that's from someone who regularly stays at Burgh Island. Must admit I miss the black tie dinner. That said the staff here are very attentive without being intrusive, first class 👍

Good for you old Pal.

Funnily enough I thought of you earlier this week as Margaret and I had a short vacation in the Isle of Whithorn in Dumfries and Galloway. It is a dark sky area and one former visitor who worked at Jodrell Bank remarked that he could observe both the Milky Way and the Andromeda Galaxy simultaneously.

The Last Black Tie Dinner I attended was in 2000 when to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, when amongst other things we cruised the Inside Passage of Alaska. I retired in 2005 and have never worn nor wished to wear any kind of tie since.

Enjoy the RX. A mighty fine vehicle.

• Like 1

Glad you are enjoying the RX, Peter, especially the extra comfort, which is never a bad thing.  I particularly like the thought of automatic ventilated seats, which is a feature of which I had not previously heard.

I wish you hadn’t mentioned black-tie events.  When I pulled my dinner-jacket out of a decade-long hibernation a couple of years ago, I not only felt I looked like a Swing-Era bandleader but was forced to have the seams let out after a button popped. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rabbers said:

Glad you are enjoying the RX, Peter, especially the extra comfort, which is never a bad thing.  I particularly like the thought of automatic ventilated seats, which is a feature of which I had not previously heard.

I wish you hadn’t mentioned black-tie events.  When I pulled my dinner-jacket out of a decade-long hibernation a couple of years ago, I not only felt I looked like a Swing-Era bandleader but was forced to have the seams let out after a button popped. 

That's the problem with leaving clothes hung in a wardrobe without wearing them ... it was the same with my motorcycle leathers ...after being hung up not used for 5 year they had shrunk on the hanger and no longer fit.. my excuse anyway 😅

As for the auto heat/cooling for the seats in the RX they are great.. found this function after a couple of weeks and left them in auto since.. if the climate control thinks it needs warm air in the cabin then the heated seats turn on at a level depending how cold it is and if the climate control things it needs cold air in.the cabin the cooling fans in the seats turn on.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

I`ll be very inteested to read the comments from Herbie when he looks to see the cost of overnight accommodation at the Nare Hotel.

Just looked and all I can say is that the board will not let me say what I want to say! Those prices are just ludicrous :surprise:

Believe it or not, my last trip to Poland - and by that I mean the entire trip, consisting of return transfers from Preston to Manchester Airport, return transfers in Krakow, return flights, three nights accommodation in a 4* hotel (breakfast included but other meals out) and all spending money (meals, drinks etc) - came to less than the cost of one night in a "delightful sea view room" at that hotel.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Just looked and all I can say is that the board will not let me say what I want to say! Those prices are just ludicrous :surprise:

Believe it or not, my last trip to Poland - and by that I mean the entire trip, consisting of return transfers from Preston to Manchester Airport, return transfers in Krakow, return flights, three nights accommodation in a 4* hotel (breakfast included but other meals out) and all spending money (meals, drinks etc) - came to less than the cost of one night in a "delightful sea view room" at that hotel.

That`s what I imagined you`d say Herbie. I`d put them significantly North of ludicrous !

Still one tries to maintain lifestyle in accordance with one to which one is accustomed.Good on Peter,but if I ever meet him in the Bar,he can pay for the first two rounds.🤣🤣🤣

Just now, NemesisUK said:

You think The Nare is expensive, try our usual retreat, Burgh Island. 😉

4 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

You think The Nare is expensive, try our usual retreat, Burgh Island. 😉

I have and really would not feel comfortable.

When I was in the Boy Scouts I had to build myself a Bivouac and sleep in it alone for one whole windy and rainy night and boy was I comfortable. My wife thinks I`m on the mean side of value for money.🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

It would be my pleasure John, Adam's ale? 😆

On yer bike,pal 

!I`ve recently enjoyed a fine pint of ale near to the Mull of Galloway called "5 Kingdoms" and it was a real pleasure from first to last sip.

I shouldnt have mixed it with the Mouton Cadet, though !

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I have and really would not feel comfortable.

Curious how people differ, I feel completely at ease in a DJ, bow tie, cummerbund etc. Now, when requested to dress "smart casual" I'm at sixes and sevens!! Casual, jeans and rugby top, fine. It's just that inbetween thing that gets me...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Curious how people differ, I feel completely at ease in a DJ, bow tie, cummerbund etc. Now, when requested to dress "smart casual" I'm at sixes and sevens!! Casual, jeans and rugby top, fine. It's just that inbetween thing that gets me...

Yes, indeed. People are different because people ARE different. What a blessing that has turned out to be ! So long as we continue to respect that we exist in a Plural Society.

Edited by royoftherovers
typo
  • Like 1

Well the drive home was as comfortable as the drive down...

Tried really hard to keep the speed down and relaxed as others sped past only to be reeled in miles later.

The Lexus sat nav was curious in it's interpretation of " fasted route" but the detours were enjoyable 😉

Overall 34 mpg not unexpected and quiet acceptable for the performance and comfort.

A very enjoyable drive and happy purchase. A definite "upgrade"  on the RC..

• Like 4

I should perhaps be posting this under Jokes with a warning about off-colour content but decided to stay in this thread since it is where I first heard about the auto seat ventilation feature (see NemesisUK’s OP).

Chatting with my dealer when I took my RC for service yesterday, I mentioned in passing that it is a pity it doesn’t have the aforementioned feature.  He agreed that it is by common consent a nice addition to cabin comfort, with the cooling mode having been particularly appreciated during this past exceptionally hot summer.  He added that although long experience has taught him to keep a straight face on hearing unusually outlandish comments and opinions from customers, he admitted to recently almost collapsing with mirth when one very satisfied but untypically vulgar customer couldn’t stop enthusing about how the system allows him to quickly revert to manual mode and so change the nature and reverse the direction of wind at times of physical need.

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links