Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Map Updates

The current version of map on my 2022 NX 450h+ is 12-21-09(2021-06-9). When I select map update on the car I get the pop-up error message 'Problem with map update. Please contact your dealer'. I contacted my dealer, they said that it was probably because there are no updates and that they usually come out in October. They didn't really convince me that they knew the answer and this doesn't seem like a standard message. If for example I look for software updates the screen simply says that there are no software updates currently available. Does anybody else get the same error message as I do?

I don't know about the message (I'd try it accept it's raining!) but my dealer told me that map updates usually come out twice a year but that the last one was - you've guessed it, last October. Mind you, I was also told that the update would happen 'over the air' (OTA) but my last car (updates about once a year) took around 45 minutes from a fast USB3 stick so I can envisage OTA map updates being a recipe for disaster. However, we'll see.

Our old car has no free updates so your question is not what I try to answer.

I have an old Garmin Nüvi that in August got the 2023 update. Have of course no idea how good or bad the new navigation map from Lexus is, but the 2019 I paid a fortune to get after the 2017 that came with the car was not the least better with regard to one-way streets here where we live; exactly same as the 2017.

Garmin has the correct one-way streets. Lexus software is a disaster. Tried to download and install some free updates from Lexus 2 - 3 years ago and it never did function. It came to my USB stick and started in the car, but after 3 hours it told that connection was lost (the USB stick lost connection?) and so was my patience. Do not remember what kind of update it was, but suppose it is not needed and have not tried since. Like Malcolm say downloading from Lexus is "a recipe for disaster".

Not that we use the Garmin in the car, maps on smartphones are far easier to use and come with free updates very often so they are always correct.

Be careful with OTA updates as they seem to kill the safety camera alert function.

When looking at my MM system it says the update can take over an hour, depending on internet connection and one must leave the car in the Ready state so not to discharge the Battery.

Graham,

On MM19 (as in outgoing 4RX, like Peter mentions above), if you try to update the map and the map is the current one, it will simply say "map is up to date", rather than give an error message.

Therefore a message like "Problem with map update" definitely sounds like a genuine error. 

On MM19 we are currently running Spring 2022 (aka 2022v1), which has 2021 Q3 map data in it.

When Autumn 2022 (aka 2022v2) comes out (perhaps in a few days), it should  contain 2022 Q1 map data.  (Thus the map is around 6 months old at the point of installation!)

I can see here that the new MM21 system for the 2NX (called SMART CONNECT on Lexus-tech) has a current map version that includes map data from 2021 Q3, so this is in line with the (current) MM19 Spring 2022.

https://www.lexus-tech.eu/Navigation/base

The full code on Lexus Tech for you is 

12-22-01[2021-12-1]  (2021Q3 data)

This is actually newer than the one you report above... so there is an update available.

Also to reinforce the comment that Peter makes - on MM19 an OTA update consistently breaks speed camera notifications.  No input on here yet, to my knowledge, if this also breaks the speed camera info on MM21.... but there's a good chance it will.  

Perhaps try doing an update on a memory stick, or, ask the dealer to do it for you.

Paul

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 4:56 PM, NemesisUK said:

Be careful with OTA updates as they seem to kill the safety camera alert function.

. . .

That's never worked on our Lexus.  The map shows a frankly incomplete set of traffic cameras and doesn't warn us in any way for the ones it knows about

• 6 months later...

Has anybody else tried to update their map on a new NX? My dealer says that they've tried to update maps on 3 NX cars in the showroom and they all give the same message as mine does "Problem with map update, Please contact your dealer". I remain on version 12-21-09(2021-06-9). My dealer says that there's nothing to do and when there's an update available I'll be able to download it but I'm unconvinced. The first time I asked them they said it was because updates come out in October and to wait until then. It's now April and 12 months on and still no map updates. This begs the question - how does one find out what the current version should be? If somebody could try this on their new NX and let me know I'd very much appreciate it.

I receive the same message in my NX (MY2022) and my maps were from 2021

at its recent service they even came back with a note telling me there was a map update available. When I said I couldn’t perform the update myself due to that error they said they would do the update when it was in for recalls a couple of weeks later

It ended up that the car was with them overnight as the map update was so big and they had never performed a manual update before. Maps now say August 2022 but I don’t think I’d bother again, the mistakes on the map have remained and losing the car for two days wasn’t worth it

I think I’ll keep mentioning the error when I go in for a service but  use CarPlay for navigation which is a shame because I had real hopes for the new tech.

I've given up using the inbuild Nav - a shame as it looks great full screen on the 14" display! I use Google maps over carplay which is much more accurate but i do wish i could view it full screen

I have found the new multimedia system and particularly the Sat nav element to be the biggest marketing con trick by a car manufacturer since the diesel gate saga.

The new Sat nav with so called ‘over the air updates’ is no better than the useless system that was in my 2018 RX. I gave up with it many months ago and now just use car play all of the time. The only thing that bugs me then is that if you want to receive traffic updates on the radio they interrupt car play and the system then reverts to the in built system.

• Like 1

Just now, RXtoNX said:

I have found the new multimedia system and particularly the Sat nav element to be the biggest marketing con trick by a car manufacturer since the diesel gate saga.

The new Sat nav with so called ‘over the air updates’ and ‘real time traffic info’ is no better than the useless system that was in my 2018 RX. I gave up with it many months ago and now just use car play all of the time. The only thing that bugs me then is that if you want to receive traffic updates on the radio they interrupt car play and the system then reverts to the in built system.

Interesting that (as I suspected) there is an update available. There doesn't seem to be anywhere that one can check to see what the latest version of map is on the Lexus web site. I do like the way the maps look in full screen and the fact that the directions are displayed in the HUD, these, and the lack of wireless Android Auto are the reasons I don't routinely use Android Auto. I'm not convinced that whatever they elect to charge for the service after four years of a free service that it'll be worth it.

I have version 1045 on maps, last updated 19/12/2022. I do quite like the Lexus maps but prefer Waze due to the speed camera alerts and more up to date obstructions etc.

5 hours ago, Gureamu said:

Interesting that (as I suspected) there is an update available. There doesn't seem to be anywhere that one can check to see what the latest version of map is on the Lexus web site. I do like the way the maps look in full screen and the fact that the directions are displayed in the HUD, these, and the lack of wireless Android Auto are the reasons I don't routinely use Android Auto. I'm not convinced that whatever they elect to charge for the service after four years of a free service that it'll be worth it.

Buy yourself an AA wireless dongle.It instantly connects when you get into the car and switch it on.You willthen have constantly updated Waze/Google maps.DO NOT buy from Carlinkit ..their version did not work and their customer service is hopeless.

• 2 months later...

Just received my NX450h+ yesterday, after just over a year's wait. 

The map version is 12-22-48 (2022-07-8). Does anybody know if the connected maps also update the maps in between each full map update? 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links