Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1996 LS400 Reluctant reverse gear

Howplum

Earlier this morning the gear selector refused to move all the way across the N position to select reverse gear, although turning the engine off and on again seemed to cure it. There was no problems engaging forward gears. Any ideas?

I'm hoping it was a one off, but obviously I am very wary of going anywhere that might involve reversing.

I once had an old Mini that wouldn’t engage reverse but that was easy enough to push backwards 😀

I would first lift off the wood trim and take a look for something stuck in the selector gate. It sounds more of a mechanical selector problem than a transmission fault.

• Thanks 1

Sounds like the solenoid that prevents the gear selector being moved from N to R unless the brake pedal is being pressed is sticking. Stripping down, cleaning and lubricating would probably fix it.

The gear selector is quite complex:

image.thumb.png.524984b9fef38275009c16a44a12141a.png

https://lexus.7zap.com/en/eu/lexus+ls/431220/ucf20r-aepgkw/2/3312/330285b/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

press that small odd-ball oblong selector thingy just to the top of the selectors, the one that takes you out of gears etc ..  can't remember it's name ...  that might free-up summat that's " sticking " 

Happened to me once, stuck in gear and wouldn't move !  and i pressed that and all's been well since .....  some years back tho'

Just a thought!

Malc

• Thanks 1

That's the shift lock override button Malc. I tried that, but it didn't seem to make any difference. Anyway, it's something else to check, which I will do in a logical manner, instead of being in a bit of a panic whilst stuck in the middle of a manoeuvre in the road!

• Like 1

Just as a comparison and of course a bit of useless information the LS400 with RWD has a turning circle of 10.6m, a FWD BMW Mini is 11m.

The ultimate of course is the “London Taxi” with a required maximum turning circle of 7.62m (25 feet) to ensure they can turn round at the Savoy Hotel without reversing.

• Like 4

I've often felt this to be a huge advantage with my Lexus when comparing turning, parking. manouvering  etc with my Honda Legend which by comparison seems a trifle clumsy 

Malc

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Howplum said:

I've just returned from a two week holiday, and whilst away connected a charger to the battery. The car now is behaving itself, so perhaps the issue was battery related.

These cars do repair themselves Howard!

• Like 2

Low Battery voltage could lead to a stuck solenoid as there would be insufficient power to pull it out of the way.
It may still need cleaning and the issue may return. It may even need a new solenoid as they do get weaker over time.

• Thanks 1

The solenoid is highlighted, the button is to the right and of course being Lexus there is also a shift lock solenoid computer at the rear of it.

Normally a combination of dust, crud and carpet fluff causes issues, access is tight but a paint brush and vacuum would be the starting point for a clean out after removing the wood trim. ( use a wallpaper scraper with a layer of electrical insulation tape to prise it up at the rear sides).

2A243925-1885-4F02-A688-148CE8CC0012.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links